Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: 50 Monsters

3 minutes ago, an_mutt said:

On to you, John and Dragonfly. I might as well start polishing my BritBowl bowl already.

[audience hoots and hollers]

BTW did you decide who won last year's yet?

1 hour ago, RjY said:

did you decide who won last year's yet?

Haha, i have no idea at this point.

oh well didn't see there was a bfg in the map20 fight, still my fault cause should have been able to do that fight without it. Did map31 but missed the secret exit to map32, did map33 and 35 before attempting the wad, I wouldn't have attempted if I died in those previous maps. This month I actually tried to go for survival instead of rushing and dying.

Blind.

50monsanc.zip

5 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

@an_mutt @Suitepee are you guys still planning on a tiebreaker for 2017?

May I recommend Impromptu Minidido blind.  It will perhaps yield chaotic results, but is more entertaining than a coin-flip, and it will settle the score once and for all.

I'll consider this an option for any possible 2017 tiebreaker.

Hoping to do my Ironman run of 50 Monsters soon.

Terminated on the horrendous visage of 28.

DWIronman_50monstr_BlooditeKrypto.zip

Spoiler

After escaping the nerve wrenching clutches of 27, the evil author feels no remorse at hurling you straight into death's fangs for the immediate opening of the next bloodbath. Despite overcoming the initial shock, my panic levels were through the roof, sparring with the Cyber while in a tight corner with lots of walls for potential splash damage while the opposing Archvile still breathed made me uncomfortable. So a paniced rush with the RL while sticking too closely to the wall ended with an untimely demise. I did conquer the secret levels along with 33 and 35 so they count towards the total levels count am I right, right? :D

Category 2 - I played this on Zdaemon TNS for three rotations, but never in SP.

Recorded with glboom-plus 2.5.1.5, just throwing this out there in case the demo desyncs, because watching Wilou's demo in glboom-plus desyncs it on 25, but it works fine in prboom-plus bizzarely.

I was very impressed I made it this far given my energy levels were sub par to begin tackling such an arduous odyssey, which is demonstrated in my less then dexterous play throughout, numerous mistakes resulting in head on collisions with projectiles and 'You should have dodged that' moments are scattered throughout.

31 was insane, first you can't see the crushers clearly in OpenGL as you get a HOM effect so I had to rely on the little outline on the top of the ceiling where it changes from opaque to transparent, then what evil bastard puts sentry Revenants on cliffs perched in the centre of a vantage point, with a hidden Archvile to ensure they never die D: A huge WTF moment when I saw the author was an_mutt, seriously? xD you make hard shit like this? A creatively challenging level, but wow is it nasty o_o

33 was a really cute tribute :3 I did a very risky strategy which was really cool but very reckless but climaxed with an awesome victory.

35 was an interesting specimen, a peculiar anomaly stabbing at the fabrics of mapping existentialism, in all seriousness xD a nice demonstration of a new foe.

Very worried at the absence of Alfonzo's run so late into the month and even more so at the incomplete leaderboards for December, January and February, begging for those witty Alfonzo comments, tut tut ;)

50 Monsters! An exceptional beast which successfully fuses gorgeous aesthetics with a high-octane difficulty curve that continually pushes your nerves and reflexes to the max! Each step into a new room sends a surge of trepidation at what horrifying ambushes lie ahead, at first you can find cover in most encounters or retreat from an exposed location, but as you forge onwards through this harsh and unforgiving wilderness, you are suddenly thrown into the fire, finding yourself surrounded in a nasty ambush with no exit and are forced to rely on quick reflexes and skill to sail through, 11 is a fine introduction to this unfortunate reality.

With its continual ambushes and traps throughout, accentuated with a high density of Chaingunners and Revenants, I strongly compare it's gameplay implementation to Plutonia but ventures into the difficulty curve of Speed of Doom or Ancient Aliens for the 3rd episode. I love the creative environments on display here, the scenic snow of the 2nd episode reminds me of certain Quake mods such as Brumal Quest and Altar of Storms, it's rare to see winter themed levels in Doom and to see them executed with good refinement is a real treat. By contrast the 3rd episode is ominous and foreboding, it's dark and saturated canvas beckoning you on 'Peace and Hostility' instills both wonder and tension at what arduous challenges lie in this last line of defence. I chuckled at 'Burial at Sea' sharing the precise title of a Quake II addon, then was truly close to a watery grave after being suddenly set upon by the devious Archvile trio.

An excellent megawad, right up my valley with a short map duration combined with intense difficulty, it keeps you engaged and rocking on the edge of your seat right to the blazing finale. I wish more maps opted for this arcade style, intense and in your face combat which stabs at your nerves and demands your fullest attention, challenging levels for skilled players by a skilled author one could say ;)

Cyberden crew didn't like me stalking their territory and promptly give me the boot.

Category 3, I remember playing this megawad in Thursday Night Survival a long time ago, and I also played casually the wad until MAP15 (+ MAP33 and MAP35) before the run. I stopped my casual playthrough to MAP15 only because of the amount of "luck-based" encounters, I think I couldn't make it this far. Also, doing a prepared run helps a lot for this megawad imo.

I died in MAP11 (Kills : 12/50) to a shotgunner I haven't noticed. I survived both MAP33 and MAP35. The highlight of this run is the ghost chaingunner in MAP05.

The run time for the main run is 52min33sec, 4min51sec for MAP33 and 3min09sec for MAP35.

File : Malrionn_Ironman_50monstr.zip

On 22/04/2018 at 10:05 PM, Bloodite Krypto said:

[...] because watching Wilou's demo in glboom-plus desyncs it on 25, but it works fine in prboom-plus bizzarely.

It seems it was recorded with spechit overrun emulation turned off, whereas your glboom-plus.cfg likely has "overrun_spechit_emulate 1". Change that to 0 (which I expect is already the case in your prboom-plus.cfg) and it should work. That's what I had to do anyway.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:15 PM, an_mutt said:

On to you, John and Dragonfly. I might as well start polishing my BritBowl bowl already.

I wish I had something smart to say in response but all I can think of is "Fuck, I'm so going to lose this month."

I should be doing my run Tomorrow. Fingers crossed I smash it, but it'll be super unpracticed with little pre-knowledge vs. your run, so I don't feel hopeful, heh.

Could it perhaps be John's month to seal in a victory? 

Here's my sub for the month https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ih7nq96eqwl8q0/dt50m.zip?dl=1

Suppose it's a category 2, as I played until about halfway through map05 then something came up, and I had to quit

From then on it's blind, survived both bonus levels aswell, though I have played sunder map01, does that mean 33 is category 2 as well?

Lost my shit a little bit on map 11!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/255135923 = died on map 4, died on map 33, cleared map 35. (category 3 run- 4 maps cleared in total)

I played 50 Monsters back when it first came out, and I remember it being hard and dickish in many spots. Alas I didn't remember too much for this run, although I did check out map 1 in its entirety and looked up a walkthrough for the secret exit.....too bad I didn't get that far.

Stupid double HK trap on a elevator with a rearguard lockdown within map 4 got me; foresight would have been helpful in that situation, as Dragonfly showed when he watched my stream and then beat it with ease shortly afterwards on his attempt. Wasn't motivated enough to play the mini-Python from Sunder that was map 33, but cleared map 35 easily enough.

Here's looking for a Britbowl point win in May.

Having the opportunity to do my run immediately after John's run saved me from suffering the same tragic end.

That said, I met my doom on MAP10 where I got a bit flustered by the open nature of the map! A shame, but that means mr @an_mutt is sitting strong on his statement of 'probably winning Britbowl' already.

@Suitepee we need to step up our game! an_mutt is pink-washing the leaderboard.

e5bb33162c505d0ad3e8437e7997bd36.png

Edited by Dragonfly

Is competition still on? I would like to participate by uploading my painful gameplay of this absolutely marvelous wad.

The month isn't over yet, so you've still got time! I'd love to see it.

Oh, Krypto, I never commented on your run. Congrats on making it that far, that's seriously impressive, and I'm very happy you enjoyed the set as much as you did! 

One more thing: Alfonzo, can you update the leaderboards please? As much as I enjoy being there, I should not still be in first place. I'll gladly take fourth... fifth perhaps? There's absolutely still time for someone to make it through in one piece. Fingers crossed!

I'm kinda anxious to try the next attempt for May, even if I can die painfully or clear a second time. 

Alrighty then! 

[2] completed 18 levels + map35, met my doom in the land of spooky bones. Several things to note:

1)My recording hit limit of 2 hours, I mean, I honestly couldn't fathom the fact, that I could pass first 10 levels anyway. Luckly (or not so), I died in the next level, so the first video has pretty much everything in any case. Second video is me dying in map 19/33 and beating map35 after I hit limit of the recorder. 

2)This is also my first time playing without freelook. And holy jesus that was really strange. But it was pretty manageable

3)Since this is my first submission, I hope I didn't screw up with rules or anything like that, but I participated mainly because playing 50 monsters is some divine form of fun, music and level design are just too exquisite to hadle.

4)There were some REALLY intense moments, seriously, I was hitting like 10 hp at least 5 times. This wad surely spooked me quite a lot.

Edited by BioRenegat

Here's me, not such hot shit this time.

Died on m11, like lots of other folks. Feels bad, man....took a double-hit from the last two viles (if the initial tease accounts for all of 'em, anyway), who had positioned themselves in a really nasty checkmate position, and began their attacks nearly simultaneously. I tried to dodge both with a wild cut into the hallway, but misjudged it--hall wasn't long enough to get me out of view of either of them. Wise play in that case would've been to go behind the iron partition and accept a hit from just one of them, hoping to come back from there.

On the upside, had relatively little trouble with either m33 (Sunder 01 tribute yay!) or m35 (YOU BORKE THE RULES), despite certain slapstick errors.

All of this is a rare true category 1, for me--never played this before, never seen it streamed, etc. All I knew about it was that all of the maps supposedly had 50 monsters, that it had cybruisers in it somewhere, and that it supposedly leans heavily on really nasty gotcha traps in its later parts (which, having played further afterwards, seems to be true to some extent). Good work from AD_79 and his occasional guests keeping variety high under the project constraints, though in most cases you can tell these are older maps by less experienced authors (like looking at Jenesis vs. something Jimmy made the last couple of years, for example), particularly where they are homages to other maps/authors. Makes me want to see more recent stuff from all of these chaps!

Cool, you can now live with the satisfaction of being better than the author at his own project, BioRenegat!! Seriously though, nicely done on your run, and welcome to the forums! I'm flattered to hear how much you like the mapset :) Hope to see you around more in the monthly sessions.

Ah damn, DotW, I was hoping you'd be the one! That map is such a roadblock, haha. Oh, and you'll see some new stuff in not too long from now... I hope, anyways.

6 hours ago, BioRenegat said:

My recording hit limit of 2 hours

What software are you using?

Regardless, I'd heavily suggest you move on to OBS (linked below) as it's free, powerful, and has no recording limit from what I've ascertained.

https://obsproject.com/download

Welcome to the forums, and specifically to the Ironman league! Good luck, and may you enjoy your time here. :)

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Regardless, I'd heavily suggest you move on to OBS (linked below) as it's free, powerful, and has no recording limit from what I've ascertained.

Oh man, cheers for suggesting this software, already tested it, works quite well, it will surely become quite handy in the future. I used game dvr to record this. You know what's weird? I remember it being absolute garbage, not only it would eat all your system resources, but it also only could run only in 30fps and 720p. But that was like 1 year ago. From desperation I decided to try it again, and what do you know, it works smooth like a butter, and my laptop has no trouble running it anymore. Maybe it was a miracle or something, I don't really know.

Haha, nice. OBS seems to be the 'standard' for both streaming and recording these days as far as I can tell; and with good reason - it's very customisable and it's completely free! Anyways, to save from derailing this thread any further - if you want to continue this chat for any reason, pm me!

Died at map 04. Two revenants threw their missile at the same time.

DEMO

Edited by Roofi

17 minutes ago, Roofi said:

Died at map 03. Two revenants threw their missile at the same time.

DEMO

I've watched the demo and you seem to have died on MAP04 rather than MAP03, that might be a mistake... unless you wanted to deliberately place lower to give other guys bonus points :)

Oh exact , I forgot to count Breezeep's map. :)

Almost the end of the month (2 more hours here) and yet we're still waiting for @RjY as well as @Alfonzo :P There's still time.