Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
notjimmyboigreez

XBOX ONE X 4K Patch ?!

Hi Guys,

I get an xbox one X tomorrow, i have played through doom 16 before and just wanted to know if anyone has played the new 4k patch?

its going to give me and excuse to play through again.

i heard the ps4 pro cant push the game to 4k and only gets up to 1440 which is a shame for pro players, the one can get upto dynamic 4k really interested in hearing people impressions.

Dynamic 4k isn't 4k.  Consoles won't hit 60 FPS in 4k stably until the industry actually produces a card that's capable of such a thing.  People run insanely powerful pc rigs for 4k and think an average fps of 40 is OK and worth all the money they spent.

As it is now, 4k is a joke, especially on consoles where they're trying to trick the consumer by selling "Dynamic" 4k, which just means it might hit a decent fps (in 4k) once in a while.  In the real world it's called DSR, not dynamic 4k.  I'm sure many a console person will brag about how much better "Dynamic" 4k is over just plain old boring 4k.  Frankly, I'm not particularly surprised console gamers are falling so hard for it.

Edited by Flesh420

Console players will never see 4k60fps in the light of day (Not without significantly more powerful and expensive hardware), even most of us PC gamers won't. Majority are happy with 1080p with some playing in 1440p.

It takes (2) Titan XP's in SLI and a Threadripper 1950x to get smooth native ultra-maxed out detail 4k (3840x2160) on majority of my games, unless they're older.

And I know the Xbone X and PS4 Pro graphics capabilities and vram don't come anywhere close to being the same performance level as a single Titan Xp (which can barely handle native 4k by itself). I'm sure they can do upscaling and dynamic ok at best... but native rendering at 4k at max detail (and even normal or probably low detail) would murder the console gpu's.

well, i have played the first half of the game upto hell and it really does look amazing compared to 1080, the frame rate is very very smooth and you cant notice any real change in the dynamic, im running this on new samsung 65", no tearing or slow down to be ( that i can notice )

On 06/04/2018 at 10:02 PM, Flesh420 said:

Dynamic 4k isn't 4k.  Consoles won't hit 60 FPS in 4k stably until the industry actually produces a card that's capable of such a thing.  People run insanely powerful pc rigs for 4k and think an average fps of 40 is OK and worth all the money they spent.

As it is now, 4k is a joke, especially on consoles where they're trying to trick the consumer by selling "Dynamic" 4k, which just means it might hit a decent fps (in 4k) once in a while.  In the real world it's called DSR, not dynamic 4k.  I'm sure many a console person will brag about how much better "Dynamic" 4k is over just plain old boring 4k.  Frankly, I'm not particularly surprised console gamers are falling so hard for it.

On 09/04/2018 at 12:46 AM, Glaice said:

Console players will never see 4k60fps in the light of day (Not without significantly more powerful and expensive hardware), even most of us PC gamers won't. Majority are happy with 1080p with some playing in 1440p.

Hmm forza is in native 4k and runs a solid 60 fps,

I don't label myself a console gamer and i haven't "fallen hard" for anything,

If i did have to use a label i would most definitely be a pc gamer, i have spent a fortune on my pc and it runs forza 7 quite well, id say well over £1000

i got my one X for £380 and it runs it slightly better, i notice more slowdowns on my PC than i do on my one x

i'm not trying to start some debate here but for the money - sat 5 meters away from a 65" 4k TV - the new doom patch has worked wonders im also not just quoting an online article, i have tried it out and played a few hours and can say its great

take a look at this - i think its great what a £400 console can produce, that is in fact if you have spent the ££££ on a TV

I'd wager it's what kind of game is used. I mean you won't see something like Skyrim, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3 or Far Cry 5 in 4K@60fps. Driving games it's more a no brainer because there's less to be used.

On 11/04/2018 at 8:10 PM, Glaice said:

I'd wager it's what kind of game is used. I mean you won't see something like Skyrim, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3 or Far Cry 5 in 4K@60fps. Driving games it's more a no brainer because there's less to be used.

who knows the new skyrim patch on xbox one does run at native 4k and looks really really good and with mod support you can get performance mods but i havent tried them

I don't have a 4K display, but I did get a Xbox One X the same week the patch dropped. First thing I did with it was play through DOOM. It looks super slick and the framerate sits at 60 probably 95% of the time, only dropping a tiny bit during the craziest fire fights. Having originally played it on a stock Xbox One, the quality boost on the X is quite noticeable. If you absolutely have to play it on console, this is definitely the way to do it.

On 06/05/2018 at 8:18 PM, Ex Oblivione said:

One change they did make with the newest patch is the hologram finally looks like the Doomslayer rather than the multiplayer marine.

haha yeah and or looking like a slip gate quake dude.

On 07/05/2018 at 6:31 AM, amackert said:

I don't have a 4K display, but I did get a Xbox One X the same week the patch dropped. First thing I did with it was play through DOOM. It looks super slick and the framerate sits at 60 probably 95% of the time, only dropping a tiny bit during the craziest fire fights. Having originally played it on a stock Xbox One, the quality boost on the X is quite noticeable. If you absolutely have to play it on console, this is definitely the way to do it.

fully agree, i dont notice any frame drops tbh, runs amazingly well.

14 hours ago, Jim Greezy said:

fully agree, i dont notice any frame drops tbh, runs amazingly well.

Yeah, it's super subtle and you have to be crazy-OCD to notice it. Digital Foundry did an analysis of the framerates and saw some tiny drops at certain moments, but for the most part it's unnoticeable.

15 hours ago, amackert said:

Yeah, it's super subtle and you have to be crazy-OCD to notice it. Digital Foundry did an analysis of the framerates and saw some tiny drops at certain moments, but for the most part it's unnoticeable.

yeah a great in depth review,

its great to be on console running doom at 60fps4k

Let alone even getting a console attempting 60fps8K, which would be a nightmare for PCs currently without like a 20k+ USD investment in hardware.

If you can get it running smoothly, more power to you.

fwiw, i have a 1070 and use dsr to 4k res and while its not a locked 60fps results are good. i have more of an issue with the tearing that occurs when the fps get above 60 than any dips or stuttering issues. 

4k is not built from unobtainium.