Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

Splatterhouse 3D - Full TC

newsprites.png.ab120c62336df10e9fa9c8a61438b2a0.png

Some of the new sprite work for the old bosses. Dr. West looks great now, Mueller has a better face and gives you a glimpse of her human form in the manor level, and the lake monster looks more like its genesis counterpart.

I'm also changing the scientist battle in the manor level of episode 2 so it has the spirit of the same boss fight in the genesis version.

Here's a look at the new Dr. West and the new E2M4 boss area. These updates are available in the current download.

Great mod, I really had fun playing this! The monsters and atmosphere is realised very well. I only remember watching someone play Splatterhouse in a Penny Arcade when I was young, always found the game fascinating.

Third episode added. It's a bit of a mixed bag, but has some cool new stuff and a bunch of minor fixes to the preexisting assets.

Give it a try and post any issues or suggestions for the final version!

On 3/3/2020 at 2:38 PM, Bulldog del 80 said:

Thanks Impie for the Third Episode.  i really apreciate your work.

Thanks for bumping this and reminding me that I need to check out Ep3. :)

Will have to check this out - it looks awesome. I am a game console collector and happen to own a PC Engine Duo RX; Splatterhouse is one of my favorite games for it!

Finished E3 last night (HMP continuous with saves). Overall, I enjoyed it! The atmosphere was incredible as usual. It did feel like ammo (maybe) and health (definitely) were pretty hard to come by throughout most of the episode. Toward the end, there were some fights I just ran away from instead of bothering to engage. (The final hike to the exit of the penultimate map, for one.) At the least the final boss was one of the easier kills, though he still took me maybe a dozen tries to take care of.

A question on the final map: I forget which key it was (yellow?) but was there a trick to getting through that hallway jam-packed with monsters? I found the trick to getting through the teddy bear key room, and the Dr. West key was a surprisingly-straightforward fight. For the other one, though, I only managed to beat it by jumping over all the baddies and running on their heads! (Still died a couple times attempting it, but I certainly couldn't find any way through them all. :)

Fantastic WAD all-around, thanks again!

Someone pointed out a terrible oversight of mine: in e3m2 the trigger that raises the floor sections for you to jump across wasn't set to activate once only, potentially rendering the map unbeatable. Fixed.

@Salt-Man Z I guess the forum didn't save my reply to you or something. Save the wave of monsters for last and collect all the ammo you can for that section. I think it's actually easier on hard, because you can use the zombies to block the horde by stunning them--monsters can't move past unconscious zombies.

In response to the bug thing you needed a picture of,

Spoiler

It's generally these sort of teleports, though it seems any of the sky floor teleports seem buggy.

Doomsplat.png

I need you to be more specific than "seems buggy" and "doesn't work". what's happening exactly, what source port are you using, and what difficulty setting are you on?

Using GZDoom 4-1-1. On the easiest. The floors don't teleport me at all, I'm pretty much stuck without noclip.

1 hour ago, Salahmander2 said:

Using GZDoom 4-1-1. On the easiest. The floors don't teleport me at all, I'm pretty much stuck without noclip.

Those things should be working on any difficulty from the looks of it. I think it's a Gzdoom bug. You'll want to report it on the zdoom forums in the Bug Report section and link them to the mod.

Thanks for pointing this stuff out!

Oh goody. I played the first two episodes of this TC a while back (and your earlier Splatterhouse stuff in that Wolfenstein 3D like engine). So happy to hear that there's a new episode 3. I greatly enjoyed the original Splatterhouse and this TC is awesome! It's so atmospheric, with lonely wanderings through eerie environs punctuated with desperate battles. I think your mapping is perfect for this kind of game. Almost every level is a favourite. Especially the mansion sections (but I loved the hell map too).

Since you've done a bunch of updates to the first two episodes as well, I think I may have to replay the whole thing again. Yippee!

PS: Loved Strange Aeons too. I can only describe it as a novel in Doom format.

7 hours ago, kvsari said:

I can only describe it as a novel in Doom format.

That's hilarious, cos I also wrote Doom in novel format. (bdum-tssh)

Just finished ep3. When I mentioned the mansion bits were my favourite, the last episode delivered in spades. Very satisfying. And harder too. I may replay in the future to try and get all the secrets.

In the last level in the part where you have to face off all the teddy bears to get the blue key; I had to run to a high place like a crying three year old and rain baseball bat hits on them for ages until they all died. I'm guessing you intended to sneak past them? The reveal for that room actually scared me for real for 0.5 seconds, seriously.

Well done.

5 hours ago, kvsari said:

I'm guessing you intended to sneak past them?

Ceiling.

Really glad you enjoyed Ep3! The mod as a whole seems to be pretty nicely balanced, and I'd like to think its one of my better works.