Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealth Frag

Doom with PBR materials

On 4/26/2018 at 9:56 AM, Reinchard said:

Ok, so here is new liquid - this one is based on caustic animation, so it is more similar to classic nukage. Sorry for bad quality, but I don't have time for fight with retarded shadowplayer which always have some issues on my desktop, so I must use fps-consuming fraps:

IsYb5hC.jpg

b2pHnNj.jpg

HLsMPTd.jpg

This texture confuses my brain a little.  The lighter "ridges" in the texture animation look like they have light reflection baked into the texture, when obviously because we have a specular map they shouldn't be. 

I might suggest you try darkening a little the ridges in the original diffuse map (the texture itself) and then in the normal and specular map ensure the ridges have the highest "height" and "reflectiveness".  That way the light will correctly bounce off the waves as they move, and then you don't need to bake in the light.

1 hour ago, Teder said:

:)

duchebag2.jpg.8ee8b1583f8c5f4e1b82204296e73cf4.jpgduchebag1.jpg.c0792414be88ca820531473e7f6103c3.jpg

No, they aren't render. You can buy it and pin to your wall.

That's pretty close to what I imagined that ceiling texture to represent.

7 hours ago, Teder said:

concrete.jpg.e338684db1518dd870473738bea688a3.jpg

:)

Your welcome

EDIT:

oh btw:

3.jpg.98ffe2ae32a592a386e59e6f808a6c94.jpg2.jpg.522550606439959a00f8bb636553531a.jpgDSC07222.JPG.8818aae31b168f24f77022026de70bb0.JPG

duche.jpg.1076a9eb22344f10e0c06adfb28b3125.jpgduchebag3.jpg.05bd07b4e8034b8ae2ed456990f4938b.jpgduchebag2.jpg.8ee8b1583f8c5f4e1b82204296e73cf4.jpgduchebag1.jpg.c0792414be88ca820531473e7f6103c3.jpg

No, they aren't render. You can buy it and pin to your wall.

Just one BIG L O L, that's all I can say. And just ignore the fact that half of this image is a metal panels... Just show me concrete panel with 14 (!) rivets (like in ceil3_5) - or you can do you own if we in radio request show

Edited by Reinchard

Hmm... As I said before - I doubt that id artist would care about material of 64 pixels if only instruction he have is "Four to eight generic ceilings" mentioned in Doom Bible. But the last thing that comes to mind is using of something that looks like one thing (in this case we see some rivets/bolts so it looks like some kind of metal plates/panels) but in fact is a second thing (some odd decorative concrete panels). And it's not just my opinion :)

Cool,
Teamonster and I are using the https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ licence for our new 3d model pack and we find it quite good

Sounds ok. But the more I think about it, the more doubts I have. Maybe I use some more restrictions this time. It's to many cases when some people who know nothing about graphic used my assets in the past and they totally messed up this, so... I don't know yet.

Wondering if anyone has yet tried using PBR with voxels?

Of course voxels are cubic pixels but would such a rendering option like PBR help or make them look really bad?

Oh and as always, awesome work btw Reinchard! 🙂

New to this whole doom modding. For the life of me I cannot figure out how import new wall textures. Flats I've figured out... Walls?... Not yet. Advice or a tutorial would be beneficial. Thanks.

1 hour ago, 2Clowns said:

New to this whole doom modding. For the life of me I cannot figure out how import new wall textures. Flats I've figured out... Walls?... Not yet. Advice or a tutorial would be beneficial. Thanks.

If the images are not multi-patch then stick them between TX_START and TX_END markers. That way they can be used on walls and flor/ceiling.

If they are multi-patch then export them first and then do the above.

@2Clowns

This is so much better than other screens in this thread. I mean, finally I don't feel like "Doomguy in Barbie's Mansion on the Mars".

On 5/23/2018 at 6:19 AM, 2Clowns said:

Trying my hand at some PBR materials. First attempt at a floor...

gzdoom 2018-05-23 02-09-41-18.jpg

Why do your floors glow? Aren't they suppose to be rock?

9 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

For old and moist sewer look probably, also i love how the stones have soft edges, it gives the slight worn out effect. I'd be down for seing this with map02 with bd21.

13 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I presume you mean reflect as opposed to glow (doesn't look like they emit their own light).  I only presume 2clowns has interpreted them as being wet.

Yes... giving a wet look.. No glow at all. Reflections coming from hanging lamps and my flashlight. 

The issue with using a wet looking texture is that even though it looks good in this location, it might not look great in others. This texture is actually used as the ceiling in the first map so it might not fit. Sharable textures between maps with the vanilla version of doom makes placing the correct PBR textures on surfaces difficult.... unless someone painstakingly goes through each map and dedicates specific "floor/ceiling/wall" textures.

Edited by 2Clowns

On 5/24/2018 at 1:45 PM, xanrer said:

Still working on textures but I have quite a bit to learn yet. I know the walls also look wet but i figured hey.....that's how they got stained in the first place. Also working on the floor. :)

(The ceiling is using that same floor texture I posted earlier but I rescaled smaller to fit the level better.)

gzdoom 2018-05-25 20-57-04-03.jpg

Just now, hardcore_gamer said:

Your walls don't so much look wet as much as they look covered in jello.

Yeah...I'm still working on them. That was a quick test and the normals are not perfected yet. Onward and upward..!!

I think the wet look is overdone, but good work on sticking to it and learning how to do this stuff. Doom always needs more modders!

Sorry for little delay with updates, but I'm currently working on two other personal projects. I have new versions of browngrn, brown96 and few other textures but it's a bit early to talk about it. In the meantime I started some 3d weapons, so if all goes well I hope I can show you some stuff soon.

By the way (attention! shameless self promotion alert!) allow me to present announcement trailer of some new polish war game from The Farm 51 where I was environment artist :)

Wait 3d guns? Do you mean real 3d or like amid-evil kind of guns because that would be sick!

(for people who doesnt know amid-evil these guns are actualy 2d with mappings)
CleanRevolvingHagfish-size_restricted.gi

On 5/25/2018 at 8:20 PM, 2Clowns said:

Yeah...I'm still working on them. That was a quick test and the normals are not perfected yet. Onward and upward..!!

The normals are fine, just turn down the specmap a bit. You want the bumps from the normal, but maybe not so much shiny from the spec. You can do that in the texture settings in your gldefs, even if the specmap is too bright.

Nice work on this stuff, but I think Doom needs models before this stuff...not trying to diminish anyones work here.

Hey guys. New here to the forums. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place. Wanted to know what is the progress on PBR materials for all vanilla Doom 1 and Doom 2 textures. I was under the impression that they were relatively quick to create so I am surprised nobody has uploaded a completed pbr materials pack anywhere. Of course this is assuming the comment made by a user over on ZDOOM forums is true so please don't be mad. I'm not trying to rush anybody.

I've messed with them a little and they do work, but like you, I haven't seen much on the side of an actual "pack" but Doom Salyer Chronicles seem to use them pretty extensively.

The info I found was also Zdoom forums and here.

If no one else does, I'll make a pack and explain every step.

A thing to keep in mind is that the light effects depend on positioned lights -- Doom's basic, simplistic ambient light system doesn't provide direction for the light, without direction there's no angle of collision with surfaces, without angles the normals cannot work. So even if you have a PBR texture pack for vanilla Doom, that won't be enough -- you need to edit the maps to put light sources where appropriate.

That's where you can easily go overboard with excessively strong lights that turn the scene into a bad Unity Engine reject.

Even so it still makes a difference. Looking at a metallic floor or wall texture, light sources still reflect in the same way light seems to off of a highly polished source. It works very nicely, IMO, with the new flashlight mods after GZDOOM 3.3.0.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

A thing to keep in mind is that the light effects depend on positioned lights -- Doom's basic, simplistic ambient light system doesn't provide direction for the light, without direction there's no angle of collision with surfaces, without angles the normals cannot work. So even if you have a PBR texture pack for vanilla Doom, that won't be enough -- you need to edit the maps to put light sources where appropriate.

That's where you can easily go overboard with excessively strong lights that turn the scene into a bad Unity Engine reject.

Odds are somebody will release a "special edition" of the original Doom campaigns at some point that use the new PBR materials as well as dynamic lights, perhaps even a full remake. I mean it just seems like a no brainer that somebody would make something like this now that we have PBR.

Or that is, if article 13 won't cripple the modding scene before it can happen :S