Reinchard

Doom with PBR materials

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2018 at 12:00 PM, Bauul said:

But with Materials, you can see exactly where it is, because of the massive obvious reflection in the textures. It's going to make naturally lighting a room far more difficult when you can't use Sector lighting and you can't just fling a few Dyn Lights about to light a room. You have to now be super conscious of where your Dyn Lights are so they don't look weird in the reflections.

I don't exactly see a problem on this. Projects involving Materials shound not be treated the same way as project without it, it's not hard for mappers to understand that.

The biggest problem now is outdoor areas, and how to make an actual sun reflection. The only practical method I see of doing this, is making the engine render any dynamic lights placed in the skybox in all Materials around sectors under skies. Or in case the map lacks a skybox, make it render a single mapinfo-defined dynamic light.

Xane123 and Bauul like this

On 4/17/2018 at 11:50 PM, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I don't exactly see a problem on this. Projects involving Materials shound not be treated the same way as project without it, it's not hard for mappers to understand that.

I didn't mean it was a problem, more an added consideration.  We've never had to worry about the exact position and quantity of dyn lights before, but we do now.  You're exactly right: projects involving materials need to be treated differently.  

I think that the nukage looks odd, but then again I don't know how it should look.

Maybe it looks good when it is animated, but in a still image, it looks like mossy ground.

4 hours ago, Marn said:

I'm eagerly awaiting PBR fireblu.

Fireblu probably would have a very simple Material spec. Fire doesn't exactly reflect much light, and the texture itself wouldn't have any shadows on.

Really Fireblu is a light source, not a light reflector.

7 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I think that the nukage looks odd, but then again I don't know how it should look.

I think nobody knows :) I know only two things about this texture for sure: is green and toxic. Oh, and no animation yet - warp function doesn't work correctly with pbr.

Just now, Reinchard said:

I think nobody knows :) I know only two things about this texture for sure: is green and toxic. Oh, and no animation yet - warp function doesn't work correctly with pbr.

Then make your own animation.

I like Floor5_2, I think it could be used both as a metal and concrete texture.

Something feels off with that Ceiling Flat, looks a little too flat for a PBR variation? don't know if this is an early version but I just thought I should point it out.