Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mintmag

Please help me with megawads

We all love doom but admittedly I kept my distance from the modding scene. This was because when you take an awesome game like doom that's been around for years and a modding scene that's almost as old. You end up with enough content to keep you going for a life time. I once said that you could build a machine to only plays Doom and all it's mods and wads and you'd never run out of things to do.

So I decided to take a look at the megawad selection here https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/ my god so many levels. Any ideas where to start? Also what are the difference between ports section and normal megawads. Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Mintmag said:

Thanks, of course I'm only sticking to top rated wads. Still what does port mean?

"PORT" is the program you launch the game with. There's different ones, but the ones you'll need the most for anything single player are GZDoom, Eternity, and PrBoom+, imo.

1 minute ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

"PORT" is the program you launch the game with. There's different ones, but the ones you'll need the most for anything single player are GZDoom, Eternity, and PrBoom+, imo.

Oh I thought it might have meant that. Yeah I use gzdoom for everything

Just now, Mintmag said:

I use gzdoom for everything

Don't complain if eventually you'll play something that GZDoom gives you framerate issues with. It's always good to have alternatives.

2 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Don't complain if eventually you'll play something that GZDoom gives you framerate issues with. It's always good to have alternatives.

Well that all have readmes so they should state whether it's compatible or not. Also there are so many megawads.

6 minutes ago, Mintmag said:

Well that all have readmes so they should state whether it's compatible or not. Also there are so many megawads.

The readme's job is to list all the sourceports you can play something with, and to list the sourceports something has been tested with, true (more or less). But when it's down to individual things such as processing power and any kind of "hardware bottlenecks", that's not gonna work like that. Just because one person can play a +30 minute long, large map in GZDoom without issues it doesn't mean everybody else can.

EDIT: Also, just because GZDoom can run basically anything in theory, it doesn't mean it'll actually works in practice. There will be exceptions, believe me.

Yeah ive been here for a long time, and ive yet to play 50% of them.

Welcome to dw!

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

This isn't strictly limited to megawads, but it's all stuff I'd recommend!

Thanks I'll add those. I've been downloading all 5 and 4 out of 5 megawads into a directory. Things are tiny but I know it would take a life time to get through them all.

2 hours ago, Deadwing said:

Skip #1 and #10, everything else is worth checking out.

No Alien Vendetta or Hell Revealed? You might get a fight from some people here (not just @Doomkid) over those words. Alien Vendetta was named the best wad of 2002 and Hell Revealed was named one of the Top 10 of 1997.

1 hour ago, Mintmag said:

Thanks I'll add those. I've been downloading all 5 and 4 out of 5 megawads into a directory. Things are tiny but I know it would take a life time to get through them all.

It will certainly take awhile, but @TimeOfDeath666 has been playing through them, so you could ask him.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

No Alien Vendetta or Hell Revealed? You might get a fight from some people here (not just @Doomkid) over those words. Alien Vendetta was named the best wad of 2002 and Hell Revealed was named one of the Top 10 of 1997.

It will certainly take awhile, but @TimeOfDeath666 has been playing through them, so you could ask him.

I know. For me they were good when they got released , but nowdays there's a lot of better and more interesting stuff. (even the IWADs are far superior in every way, IMO). I can't recommend them for new players

30 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

I know. For me they were good when they got released , but nowdays there's a lot of better and more interesting stuff. (even the IWADs are far superior in every way, IMO). I can't recommend them for new players

Fair enough. People have different opinions. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I don't enjoy slaughter maps, while others love them. I don't want this thread to devolve into bickering about the merits of slaughter maps, that was just an example that came to mind.

Speaking of slaughter, this is somewhat difficult to know without knowing more about the OP, but i would figure a new player probably wouldn't into slaughter (I could be wrong), in which case, the following thread would be of use:

And if the OP does prefer slaughter maps, there are links to threads about the best slaughter maps within the above-mentioned thread.

14 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Fair enough. People have different opinions. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I don't enjoy slaughter maps, while others love them. I don't want this thread to devolve into bickering about the merits of slaughter maps, that was just an example that came to mind.

Even as slaughtermaps they aren't good, IMO. But yeah, it's only my personal opinion. 

9 hours ago, Doomkid said:

This isn't strictly limited to megawads, but it's all stuff I'd recommend!

No slaughter?? *Unfriends*

Seriously though, I find it highly amusing how everybody walks on eggshells now about the slaughtermap issue.

57 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

No slaughter?? *Unfriends*

Seriously though, I find it highly amusing how everybody walks on eggshells now about the slaughtermap issue.

Slaughtermaps seem to be a rather polarizing issue, where discussions on the merits of slaughtermaps seem to inevitably slide into basic statements of "slaughtermaps suck" and "no you suck, just learn to play better" and the like.

I think people are just tired of the risk of every mention of slaughter going in this way.

2 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Slaughtermaps seem to be a rather polarizing issue, where discussions on the merits of slaughtermaps seem to inevitably slide into basic statements of "slaughtermaps suck" and "no you suck, just learn to play better" and the like.

I think people are just tired of the risk of every mention of slaughter going in this way.

Indeed. It's unfortunate that people can't be more civil than that. Oh well, it's a gaming forum... what should we expect?

Slaughtermaps suck and people who can't beat them also suck! Signed, the local asshole contrarian.

(I don't actually believe that rubbish lol)

12 hours ago, Mintmag said:

Any ideas where to start? 

Well, there's always the Doomworld MegaWAD Club.  A different megawad (or set of episodes) to play every month, plus a backlog of about 70 previous months to look through.

One think I would recommend doing is playing through a megawad in full (given you don't hate it). It's easy to play ~5 maps then jump to the next one but then you don't see how the wad progresses. A good example of this is Scythe, it starts off with pretty easy, short levels then evolves into hellish slaughter maps that really test your skill.

Edit: Also, I highly, highly recommend Scythe. Highly.

Yeah, Scythe is how I got hooked on Doom. For its age, and for being made by a single mapper (well, map 32 aside), it did well at presenting a variety of map types. Scythe 2 does not disappoint either, unless... <spoiler alert>

Spoiler

... you hate monsters that move as fast as you, or flying tanks that shoot all the projectiles.

3 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Sticking to my favourite footwear instead, I'll just say I've been doing just fine recently.

I simply dismiss any and all criticism of the genre at large as unqualified nonsense, if it is the opinion of somebody who's never provided a UVmax-demo of them beating a slaughtermap saveless. :]

Yes, it may seem arrogant and condescending, but it's healthy.

Ooh let me cash in on the slaughtermap issue.

I think slaughtermaps are hit-or-miss because they are possibly the deepest form of Doom gameplay. They take all of Doom's mechanics and meta-strategies to the limit. This brings both the best aspects of Doom's mechanics (Player movement, Enemy movement, Resource management, Layout awareness, Weapon properties, Infighting, etc.) and several meta-strategies to the table. However, they also bring in the annoying Doom RNG mechanics that really curb the skill ceiling of the game.

Yeah, slaughtermaps throw everything Doom-y at you. 'True Doom'TM is not for everyone however and that's fine. Not everyone is perfect.

Anyway, I'll stop derailing this thread.

chiming in to say that there should be a stickied post in this subforum for people looking for WADs to play that don't know basic research to stop these threads from showing up every month

1 hour ago, bioshockfan90 said:

chiming in to say that there should be a stickied post in this subforum for people looking for WADs to play that don't know basic research to stop these threads from showing up every month

But Doomworld doesn't happen to have a 'Top WADs of all time' discussion just laying around somewhere.