Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mintmag

Please help me with megawads

Hey guys, I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. Sheesh Doom as more levels then any other game ever made I think.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:57 PM, Deadwing said:

Skip #1 and #10, everything else is worth checking out.

What's wrong with Alien Vendetta?

2 minutes ago, Mintmag said:

What's wrong with Alien Vendetta?

It's way too grindy and bland (mostly linear maps wirh simple shaped rooms or corridors) where most fights (even the slaughter stuff) are cover or circle strafing ones.

By the time it was released it was good and shows some good improvements, but it hasn't aged well.

2 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

It's way too grindy and bland (mostly linear maps wirh simple shaped rooms or corridors) where most fights (even the slaughter stuff) are cover or circle strafing ones.

By the time it was released it was good and shows some good improvements, but it hasn't aged well.

I guess I should've been more specific. I'm after a megawads that captures the same kind of feel as the episodes of Doom 1. Those Romero leves are great but I've played them to death.

Hmm take a look on DwtID series, No end in sight, Need More Detail series, Scythe (first one)

Rather than add to the garbage fire that is the slaughter wad debate with my heinous opinions that are illegal to have, I'll instead give my trash recommendations on specific megawads I like:

The Rebirth is an underrated gem that nobody seems to ever mention:

It's a standard styled Doom 2 megawad with minor aesthetic changes that really capture the classic feel with simple yet pleasing designs and visual aspects, it is a great starting point of your folly into megawads.

Icarus: Alien Vanguard is another classic Doom 2 megawad:

It has very pleasing starship aesthetic for the most part and several varied scenery in the form of simulations, it has some very memorable levels and has one of the best wad soundtracks ever.

And for a more recent example, TNT Revilution:

TNT Revilution is a modern megawad built in the style of my favourite IWAD (TNT) that is 100% vanilla compatible and 100% pure ecstasy for a TNT !over like myself.

There we are, 3 recommendations.

On 4/5/2018 at 11:52 PM, Doomkid said:

This isn't strictly limited to megawads, but it's all stuff I'd recommend!

Back to Saturn links don't seem to be working

I'll find some fresh links to fix them with.

If you're looking for E1 style specifically, try out Fava Beans! Sinister Seven may also be to your liking, themes were borrowed heavily from E1.

23 hours ago, Doomkid said:

If you're looking for E1 style specifically, try out Fava Beans! Sinister Seven may also be to your liking, themes were borrowed heavily from E1.

Did you manage to fix the links?

On 4/8/2018 at 8:21 AM, Doomkid said:

poke

On 4/8/2018 at 12:43 AM, mrthejoshmon said:

Rather than add to the garbage fire that is the slaughter wad debate with my heinous opinions that are illegal to have, I'll instead give my trash recommendations on specific megawads I like:

The Rebirth is an underrated gem that nobody seems to ever mention:

It's a standard styled Doom 2 megawad with minor aesthetic changes that really capture the classic feel with simple yet pleasing designs and visual aspects, it is a great starting point of your folly into megawads.

Icarus: Alien Vanguard is another classic Doom 2 megawad:

It has very pleasing starship aesthetic for the most part and several varied scenery in the form of simulations, it has some very memorable levels and has one of the best wad soundtracks ever.

And for a more recent example, TNT Revilution:

TNT Revilution is a modern megawad built in the style of my favourite IWAD (TNT) that is 100% vanilla compatible and 100% pure ecstasy for a TNT !over like myself.

There we are, 3 recommendations.

Thanks for those recommendations. I just got around to checking them out. I've been checking out some of the others from here https://www.doomworld.com/idgames//index.php?dir=levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/&sort=rating&direction=desc 

As well the other recommendations. Obviously I can't check them all out right now, that would take forever. 

Here are my thoughts. I really liked alien vanguard though I did get stuck a couple of times. Rebirth's levels didn't strike me interesting but they were very well paced and I didn't get lost which is a plus. I did however get stuck at level 23 I think the door is buged or something. I didn't like tnt revilution. The levels were kind of all over the place and the difficulty wasn't consistent