Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Why is it so cumbersome to run non-Doom mods?

I've noticed that installing and running mods for other shooters tends to involve more steps than Doom, where it's basically a .pk3 or .wad you drag and drop into your source port of choice. Is this because Doom's code is simpler than that of later shooters, or did the Doom community find some magic way to pack everything into single files and other communities were unable to? What's the deal?

Doom was designed to be very modder friendly so Carmack went out of his way to make modding a smooth process. This combined with it's source being released is why it's so easy.

I think it's more to do with Carmak and company being some awesome dudes who deliberately designed the engine to easily accept custom resources via external 'patches' that simply run on top of any given IWAD as opposed to significantly altering the IWAD itself.

Damn it! @xvertigox beat me to it! And in a much more concise manner on top of that!

1 minute ago, GoatLord said:

Do most companies not release the source code for their games?

I believe that is correct. I'd imagine that most companies don't release the source code for their games because the higher-ups who have the final say in such things simply aren't interested. I know that in some cases, like with Strife, the source code was lost before it could be released (though in Strife's case, it was reverse-engineered by the community later on).

12 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Do most companies not release the source code for their games?

It's actually pretty damn rare for a game to become open source if it didn't start out that way. This is especially true of multiplayer games - letting anyone have access to the source can make exploits easier to find.

It is a bit more common for companies to licence the source code, in fact that's how all of id's engines started out as. But overall, the open source thing is much more of a thing in circles that aren't even quite considered indie game, as ... well, open source stuff tends to be fully free, as there's not really a point to not include the whole product when you're giving the exact instructions for making a free clone to everyone on GitHub.