Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roofi

Why is the radiation suit a timed powerup?

Hello , an another existential question about Doom that will change my life and the mankind

Invulnerability and invisibility sphères are timed because the marine probably eat them so that they work as doping substances. Light goggles are also timed because they work with batteries. But I don't understand why the radsuit disappears after a while even if you don't use it  .Radsuits are clothes ,  it would be more logic if your radsuit wear out by dint of walking on dangerous floors , as the armor do.

Help me , please.

I think it's somehow related to this thread :>

I mean, if this powerup will not be timed (as berserk powerup) - most maps will not use damage liquids. And that's kinda sucks (read this mentioned thread for understanding reasons)

It's able to protect from anything ranging from toxic waste to literal lava to magically corrosive blood with equal ability, and I can't imagine any material that could do all that. I'd think it has some kind of portable battery-powered repulsing field that prevents any material from even touching it, though it's not a strong enough field to repulse things with a high force like bullets or melee attacks or crushers. You could probably just handwave something about how the suit won't turn itself off as long as there is an occupant, so Doomguy just keeps it on until the battery for the field runs out.

I dunno why there'd be an occasional leak in the suit, though. UAC incompetence?

Just to make sure, this is because of the appearance/nature of the sprite, right? You wouldn't have this problem if it were another floating sphere or similar. But because it looks like a mundane item rather than an arcane artefact it breaks your suspension of disbelief.

I imagine because the air around is corrosive (look at all the demonic taint!). You are not affected because its only subtle enough to kill clothes, but then it doesnt explain why zombie enemies still have them on (magic demon clothes????).

Because having it the rest of the game would kill challenge. If you kept it they'd probably have one for lava, another for waste, another for sewage, like boot upgrades.

Funny enough, in vanilla Doom radsuits are leaking sometimes on some damaging floors.
Most people are even not know this because they playing jizzydoom...

Why does the radsuit wear off after some time, even if you aren't using it? For the same reason the cyberdemon shoots rockets out of its crotch.

It probably has an air tank which runs out in a short time. I think it also works as a SCUBA diving suit in GZDoom, which explains why it's time limited.

Gameplay wise it's to put pressure. I remember being really worried when first seeing the acid maze in E3M7, or having to travel a lot through acid in E4M6.

16 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

Funny enough, in vanilla Doom radsuits are leaking sometimes on some damaging floors.
Most people are even not know this because they playing jizzydoom...

Probably due to the nature of PRNG. There was a post explaining why, but I can't seem to find it anymore... 

23 minutes ago, Pegg said:

You know GZdoom has that no?

I think every port has that... TBH, it's not a bug, it's a feature! ;P

7 minutes ago, HavoX said:

I think every port has that... TBH, it's not a bug, it's a feature! ;P

I know. Just that condensing yet ignorant comment deserved fixing :p.

Another existence like question; how does the rad suit alter the players vision?

10 minutes ago, Vermil said:

Another existence like question; how does the rad suit alter the players vision?

I think the Rad Suit contains a hidden helmet that Doomguy gets out from it inside...

Let's just say the suit power gradually decays due to the radioactive fuel powering it running out due to decay...

Think about it, why does it turn the screen green without a helmet? Radiation. Why doesn't the rad suit irradiate me? Because it's a rad suit.

Makes sense to me.

you see, its just a mundane suit, so when you're running at 50MPH down the halls of phobos and deimos, it can't keep up with the strain and within 60 seconds is torn to shreds and unusable.

You see, Doom wouldn't be as badass as it is if Doomguy was wearing a hazmat suit on the front cover.

Consider the following image:

W9faG9w.png

It looks like the unholy combination of one Master Chief from Halo, one Minion from Minions, and one Hollow Knight from Hollow Knight. Doesn't make for excellent cover art surprisingly enough.

6 hours ago, geo said:

Because having it the rest of the game would kill challenge. If you kept it they'd probably have one for lava, another for waste, another for sewage, like boot upgrades.

But you wouldn't need to have it for the rest of the game. The rest of the level, like the berserk pack, would be fine. Of course, then you'd have to have another meter that would show how much "life" was left in the suit due to the damage it took from nukage/lava/slime/blood, etc.

Actually why didn't you ask "why Doom needs radiation suit, not radiation boots?"... Doomguy doesn't actually swim in damaging liquid, he just walks on it...

Off topic: Duke Nukem needs his boots to walk on damaging liquid, but he can swim inside just fine.

11 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Because it's a video game.

Answer to every question about the Doom games or any video game really.

4 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Because you're running around at incredible speeds in rugged environments while being shot at.

But if you stand still, it will still run out! How do you explain that ;)

45 minutes ago, Catpho said:

But if you stand still, it will still run out! How do you explain that ;)

4 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

while being shot at.

;-)

1 minute ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

;-)

But then if you kill everything, and THEN collect a radsuit, it will still run out!

Got ya!

1 hour ago, Catpho said:

But then if you kill everything, and THEN collect a radsuit, it will still run out!

Got ya!

I'm sure the radsuit has taken some damage prior though. ;p