Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Payload4367

Dark Universe Prt1 Released

6 map pack for GZdoom/Doom2.

Small to Medium sized maps. Maps can be completed rather quickly (just find the switch that opens the exit and then find the exit), with lots of secrets, switches, scripted events, and hidden areas full of the stuff you might need to survive the next map. HMP and UV difficulties available.

MOUSE LOOK REQUIRED. NO JUMPING/ CROUCHING. Intended for vanilla monsters and weapons but works well with most mods.

idgames link:  https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dupart1

Mediafire link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/fci7243p02movdq/DUpart1.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20180404_184347.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180404_184944.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180404_185048.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180404_185217.png

Congrats on releasing this, I really enjoyed what I had played before. Going to grab this and play it tonight!

While it's certainly well made it's just not my bag.  I would occasionally get lost, especially at first until you learn what you can activate.  It wasn't until map05 that I gave up.  After deactivating the blue barriers (which by the way the switch for doing so seems to have a very small hitbox) I searched and searched for that blue wall I had previously seen to no avail.  After about 3 minutes of running around and no clipping only to find myself running in circles I gave up.

This is one of wads I'd like to watch someone max but not personally play.

*meant to make a post on the minidido thread and made one on here instead, ooops...

Edited by therektafire : can't read post titles

Very cool map design looks great. Good to see you got in with the Project Brutality team I can't wait to see your map for them. I really don't get why people get so lost in these maps it's not that hard. I made a video of map1 :)

Just finished a casual playtrough on UV. Spooky and atmospheric, me like. The continuos ambience in the soundtrack really gets under your skin after a while. Despite your recommendations I played without mouselook, and besides the normal stuff, I didn't come across any specific issues. Have you started working on part 2? Looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, wintertowns said:

Have you started working on part 2? Looking forward to it.

I will get on it as soon as possible. I already have most of the ideas worked out. As of now, though, I have been recruited to make maps for the Black Mass Project Brutality campaign, so I will work on that exclusively. I map at a pretty feverish pace so, hopefully, that won't take too long. Thanks a bunch for giving this map set a spin and I am glad you enjoyed it.

2 hours ago, Payload4367 said:

I will get on it as soon as possible. I already have most of the ideas worked out. As of now, though, I have been recruited to make maps for the Black Mass Project Brutality campaign, so I will work on that exclusively. I map at a pretty feverish pace so, hopefully, that won't take too long. Thanks a bunch for giving this map set a spin and I am glad you enjoyed it.

We won't release you from your vows that easily :P

To anyone reading this, I'd strongly recommend this wad with Project Brutality on higher difficulty

Okay, I watched a video where I got lost and realized I was right there just somehow missed it.  Managed to get through the rest just fine.  I still prefer Dark Encounters but guns blazing it my forte.

The design of this is something to behold.  So complex, it really looks like a real place.  For the exploring type this is about as good as you're gonna get.  Youtube video going up soonish, I'll add it here later.

Just got done playing through the 2nd level (started over even though I had beat the first couple before). This is truly a masterpiece of modification. Almost found all the secrets on the 2nd level, but after running around forever I finally gave up. Gonna dive into level 3 later. Outstanding work!

Screenshot_Doom_20180407_182340.png

8 hours ago, Collegia Titanica said:

We won't release you from your vows that easily :P

To anyone reading this, I'd strongly recommend this wad with Project Brutality on higher difficulty

Project Brutality breaks these maps. Many errors when loaded up. In the first map, it's all peaceful with marines walking around until later even some jump scares but with Project Brutality you lose out on that and it's just monsters from the start.

5 hours ago, Rex705 said:

Project Brutality breaks these maps. Many errors when loaded up. In the first map, it's all peaceful with marines walking around until later even some jump scares but with Project Brutality you lose out on that and it's just monsters from the start.

That's true. It was designed and tested for vanilla monsters/weapons, although it is still playable with PB, just considerably harder (most of those errors don't affect gameplay too much on UV). Playing on UV w/vanilla stuff will put you right in the action as well, skipping the "peaceful" opening that is present on HMP.

6 hours ago, Bryan T said:

Alright, here ya go.  I jump sometimes, no hate please.  I cut out the prologue.

Badass as always. Love me some Trailblazer. Jumping is fine actually, it just makes the maps easier. If you play on UV it skips the prologue gameplay and puts you right in the action. Thanks T, that was a great video.

On the first map when you turn on the emergency lights it goes back to normal lights. It would be super cool if it had true emergency lights like the one in the room where you flip the switch for it. So it's still a dark creepy feel but with strobing lights.

Hey, I've been playing these a bunch lately. 

Here is a compilation of UV-max runs played with Smooth Doom for each map, with a bunch of custom sounds and custom soundtrack by me for beginning of level 1 and parts of level 6:

Thanks to PAYLOAD4367 for the good times, cheers.

14 hours ago, wintertowns said:

Here is a compilation of UV-max runs played with Smooth Doom for each map, with a bunch of custom sounds and custom soundtrack by me for beginning of level 1 and parts of level 6:

WOW! Impressive play-through. Kudos on the pistol starts and all the secrets. Excellent doom skills and I love your play style. That was fun to watch. Thanks a bunch.

14 hours ago, wintertowns said:

Hey, I've been playing these a bunch lately. 

Thanks to PAYLOAD4367 for the good times, cheers.

Duuuude I want those custom monster sounds!

Thank you - this is a very good map pack! I have bad passing skills and I died a lot, especially on the map 06. I liked everything: new textures and design (reminded doom 3), a clever position of enemies and many-many secrets.
When will the continuation of this masterpiece, you are working on the second part of the add-on? Maybe approximately ...

Thank you @86232and ! I'm glad you had fun with it. I was working on part 2 even before I released the first one, so much of the basic outline is done. It should be finished later this year.

Already said it in the older thread but I'll spam here too, these maps have official seal of fucking approval, great achievement for a one man show