Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eligos

The System Shock (Mac) Source Code has been Released

Here it is, grab it while it's hot https://github.com/NightDiveStudios/shockmac

If you're wondering why it's the Mac version here's the explanation.

5ac7b91fc3814_Screenshot(418).png.c4a35a52f9702bad618a7d560d7769e4.png

They will also be releasing a Redux version of the game to replace System Shock Enhanced Edition.

dDKI69W.png.ae47dea70b25ff082db7365fe85aaabe.png

Edited by Eligos

2 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Thank you @Quasar!

Actually my involvement has been minimal so far; this release is mainly thanks to Stephen Kick, our SS:EE dev Alex, and some organizing work by Kaiser. So far all I did was pull an improvement to the readme file ;)  The Kex team is still busy on Forsaken Remastered and the ongoing System Shock projects are almost entirely separate.

EDIT: well, I can take some credit for helping get it out under GPLv3, as there were some concerns raised during the process that I was able to address.

Can't wait to see a source port! Note that I mean "port" in the actual computer programming sense of taking a codebase and compiling it to run on a different computing environment.

Sorry for the noob question, but what exactly does this entail? And what is wrong with EE, aside from the old screen resolution options?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a better version, just being curious.

@ScreechingBoner

I think one of the main major benefits will be the fact that System Shock will no longer be shackled to a life of being emulated on DOSBox, and can run natively on more modern OS. Which would probably open the doors for many different things, like better control options, more gameplay/graphical options and tweaks, and possible modding or mod tools.

A source port is almost always a good thing. It can keep a game alive and make your life less of a hassle just to play it, eliminating old DOS-isms and Win9x-isms.

@CARRiON

Got it, thanks. Well, this sounds nothing but awesome. I welcome proper fullscreen with better controls and a bigger modding scene with open arms. Besides, such improvements will probably draw more people to check the game out, which is definitely a plus.

4 hours ago, CARRiON said:

@ScreechingBoner

I think one of the main major benefits will be the fact that System Shock will no longer be shackled to a life of being emulated on DOSBox, and can run natively on more modern OS. Which would probably open the doors for many different things, like better control options, more gameplay/graphical options and tweaks, and possible modding or mod tools.

A source port is almost always a good thing. It can keep a game alive and make your life less of a hassle just to play it, eliminating old DOS-isms and Win9x-isms.

Enhanced Edition doesn't run on DOSBox.