Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnholyShadows

Was Doom Absent from Ready Player One?

So i just watched Ready Player One and I must say I actually enjoyed it and loved all the video game cameos in it, however I don't believe I saw anything related to doom other than a world called planet doom.  Did anyone else that saw this movie catch any doom cameos or references?  There was a part in the movie I thought the bfg9000 was gonna be referenced or used but it turned out not to come true.

I watched it (only once), didn't spot anything Doom-related, but it'd be very easy to miss things in it.

1. The film is most heavy on film references over video game ones, though there's as healthy heaping of both.

2. The film mostly uses 1980s reference points (I thought that was weird). There's exceptions, but very rare. The more modern ones I spotted personally were Halo, Minecraft, and Overwatch.

Yeah, I also didn't see any Doom stuff. Anyway, I'd rather have no references at all than just a five second appearance. The Shining part was interesting because they actually did something with the original instead of just mentioning it briefly. Unfortunately I can't say the same about most of the things they used.

8 hours ago, UnholyShadows said:

Did anyone else that saw this movie catch any doom cameos or references? 

No, they didn't include Doom into movie. Same about any other ID and Raven game, sadly.

Wait it's already out?! Holy shit, I know what I am doing this week then!

Other than that... I think Duke Nukem was in there somewhere, as I had seen from the trailers, or from a video showing all the references in the trailers, like in a blink-and-you-miss it screenshot from the trailers...

I don't think I can talk any more about the movie without watching whole first.

Well its sad to not see doom, i guess its obscure now :P

Then what games were referenced? Also how did everyone felt about the movie?

5 hours ago, Catpho said:

Well its sad to not see doom, i guess its obscure now :P

Lacking a reference in this specific film is not a reasonable standard for what is obscure :P

49 minutes ago, Linguica said:

"Planet Doom" is in fact a reference to Doom, the author outright said as much.

Isn't there a list of lawsuits Zenimax has had against movies that mention the word doom?

2 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

How was the movie itself?

Basically Tron redone with 2018 effects (hey, they even have a lightcycle...). I liked it.

1 minute ago, geo said:

Isn't there a list of lawsuits Zenimax has had against movies that mention the word doom?

Since the word predates the game by a good few centuries, I don't see how that could even possibly work.

3 hours ago, Linguica said:

I figured as much.

Come to think of it, there isn’t a single entity related to Bethesda/Zenimax that’s in the movie.

No Doomslayer or Cyberdemons, no Corvo or Tallboys, no BJ Blazkowicz or Panzerhunds, no Vault Survivor or Deathclaws. Hell, the Dragonborn from Skyrim is basically Bethesda’s mascot, and not even he shows up in the whole thing.  

That being said, Duke Nukem actually shows up in the movie (on Planet Doom, no less), although it’s for a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moment. 

4 hours ago, chungy said:

Basically Tron redone with 2018 effects (hey, they even have a lightcycle...). I liked it.

Since the word predates the game by a good few centuries, I don't see how that could even possibly work.

That's the thing... they still did. Now thanks to that damn Carmack lawsuit, I can't find the list of lesser lawsuits. I found a Zenimax vs Samsung lawsuit I never knew about.

17 hours ago, chungy said:

2. The film mostly uses 1980s reference points (I thought that was weird).

It's based on a book that is pretty much nothing but 1980s references, so it's hardly surprising :)

19 hours ago, chungy said:

That hasn't stopped them from threatening a number of other game developers for using words like Scrolls or Prey in their names.

8 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

threatening

wow it's fucking nothing

10 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

That hasn't stopped them from threatening a number of other game developers for using words like Scrolls or Prey in their names.

And were they successful?  It's getting ridiculous. 

10 minutes ago, Pirx said:

And were they successful?  It's getting ridiculous. 

For the game Scrolls which was made by Mojang, they settled. Mojang was also apparently not allowed to make anymore games with the name Scrolls in the title, so no sequels or spinoffs.

For the game Prey to the Gods, the developer changed it to Praey to the Gods

DoomRL was changed to just DRL after Zenimax threat

A Youtuber was working on a mobile gamed call Fortress Fallout, Zenimax threatened so he changed it

Zenimax are very litigious 

Planet Doom was the "deathmatch planet" where everyone duked it out, which I took as a direct reference to Doom being the genesis of online deathmatch/fps mp (heck, it even made me think of "Doomworld")... The planet was a pretty prominant feature of the film and the deathmatches were well enough choreographed to capture some of the online competitive spirit, so irdc if there wasn't a cheap visual link like an imp suddenly popping up in the foreground - cooler to be easter egged in spirit, high concept and name, if you ask me. Having said that, I'm sure people will be picking it a part frame by frame in the time to come, finding plenty so far undiscovered stuff.

The movie was still really good despite no doom references.  There were still blizzard references which made me happy enough, hell one scene had someone playing as Jim Raynor for an extended period of time.  There had to be some kind of lawsuit or something in the way because I can't imagine why they wouldn't put some doom references especially since doom 2016 was made 2 years ago so doom is far from obscured even by todays standards.

Ya I didn't see duke nukem in the movie until i looked online and saw a blurry ass image of him with his RPG.  When this movie comes out on netflix ill have to watch it again just to see what I missed.

On 4/8/2018 at 1:38 PM, Linguica said:

Is there a handy citation to use for that? Ya know for wiki purposes :P

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

Is there a handy citation to use for that? Ya know for wiki purposes :P