Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Slade crashes when selecting some graphics lumps

I imported some png images into slump but for some reason when I select some of them the editor just instantly crashes. It's not even possible to delete them because the moment I click on them slade just crashes. This only happens to some but not all. This is driving me insane. Any idea why this happens?

EDIT: I just tried using slade on another computer and the exact same thing happened so it's not just my computer.

EDIT 2: For some reason only the ao map and the roughness map appear to crash slade when I select them. Wtf?

EDIT 3: I got it to work by saving the textues as jpegs and then converting them into png true color in slade. I am happy it works now but what that hell was even wrong in the first place?

Edited by hardcore_gamer

Jpeg uses a lossy compression, degrading the image quality. If you used bmp instead, you would lose nothing because bmp has no compression at all.

Here is an untested scheme I just thought of to delete a lump that you can't click on. Make an empty lump right before the offending lump, and another one right after. Select the first, and hold shift while selecting the other. If it works as I think it will, you can then delete all 3 without ever clicking on the one that crashes.

Anyway, I'm glad you figured out a workaround.

1 minute ago, Empyre said:

Here is an untested scheme I just thought of to delete a lump that you can't click on. Make an empty lump right before the offending lump, and another one right after. Select the first, and hold shift while selecting the other. If it works as I think it will, you can then delete all 3 without ever clicking on the one that crashes.

I tried that and it still crashed.

But yea you are correct in that I should probably use BMPs.

1 minute ago, CaptainManiac said:

Can you try to convert them to PNG?

They were png to start with. He fixed it by converting them to another format and then back to png.

Usually, I don't reply when I don't know the answer, but since we are sort of having a conversation, that would be kind of rude. Sadly, I don't know the answer.

On 4/8/2018 at 2:47 PM, CaptainManiac said:

The names were the problem,weren't they?

I don't know the answer either, but I may be able to provide some ideas:

WAD editors are difficult to make, because sometimes the editor has to 'guess' at the format of each lump. A 4096-byte lump is usually a flat, but could be a small sound. If a lump begins with values that 'look like reasonable dimensions', the editor might be able to guess that the lump is a wall patch. And, sometimes, the only clue is the lump's name.

So, I'm thinking that maybe, in this case, the editor is having difficulty guessing. Of course, PNGs can typically be identified as they contain "PNG". But there's nothing stopping anyone from creating a 'raw patch' that contains "PNG" by (un)luck. Maybe that's what happened?