What's your Opinion on Linux?

Linux Opinions.  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on Linux?

• Only pure Open-Source Distros.
    • Ehh, Linux is Linux, it's all good.
    • I prefer Windows.
    • I'm a Mac Heathen.

Hey. Just wanted to make a quick poll, see what you guys think about Linux as an OS. Feel free to comment with more specific answers if my poll can't adequately express your feelings towards Earth's greatest OS.

I think it's a nice OS, my current PC actually shipped with it (don't ask for specifics like what distro, I've no damn clue) and I used it for a while until I figured out what Windows version works on the machine (7 was apparently a no go so... the search continued).

I was recently considering moving on to Linux if MS managed to turn W10 in a steaming dumpster fire (which imo really isn't, but far from perfect anyway, 8.1 takes that crown from my own experience with it), and my main problem with it is that it's really not noob-friendly for people like myself who used Windows for their entire life, so it'd take quite a while to get used to it, and then to actually do something on it. I might try it out on a future machine or laptop or something, but for now I'm satisfied.

I'm switching to it soon. I'm completely fucking tired of Microsoft and Windows. I would have switched this month but faulty RAM sticks and money setbacks postponed it, and I'll be visiting family soon so I'll probably just do it afterwards.

I've used it in the past, but never as my default OS. I'm ready to get off this shit MS train. I'm not really concerned about missing some games, it's a price I'll pay for bailing on this shit forever. Besides, IDK how many games I have on Steam, but I have 800+ on GOG. I think I'll be fine.

I think it’s culturally amazing how a free and publicly worked on product exists in such an important capacity. I don’t use it as a desktop, but I work with servers running Linux and I do most software development on containers run on Linux virtual machines, on my Mac.

I had a Linux period in my life but it ended when I realized that I was doing everything I could to make it as similar to Windows as possible. Then an idea struck me...

I greatly prefer Linux over other OSes, specifically Slackware Linux.  If it wasn't for some music production software I use, and a few games, I'd probably be using Linux and nothing else.  Heck, it's already the only OS installed on 6 of my 7 computers.

I've used various Linux distros, and have found Mint and MX to be pretty decent performers. Brasero proved a very useful tool for dealing with  .iso files, and I still use GParted for just about all partitioning and formatting of hard drives, even if they're  being used in a Windows system. Linux is also fine for surfing the net.

Where it falls down are complications with downloading and installing stuff, and of course gaming. I once managed to get PrBoom-plus running on Mint, after a lot of 'compiling' (a process which seemed obscure and pointless), but even so it wouldn't play Midis, and I don't think the GLBoom component worked either.

So it's Windows 90% of the time for me....

Edited by Summer Deep

Linux is the way forward since Windows 10 can fuck off forever as far as I'm concerned.  Although I do still use older Windows for stuff.

i love linux and play doom on it consistently, no winblows for me

Nothing bad. Good for programming and development. But it's not good for games and softwares like a Cubase, Photoshop and another one that was made only for Win and Mac.

I prefer to use Windows. And if not Windows, use to Mac (but I never used it because it's so expensive).

I use Windows for games and drawing because it's more practical for that, Linux for everything else. I do play some Doom on Linux too though. Using Ubuntu but i've been trying out Fedora Workstation and think i'll migrate to that.

8 hours ago, Apaul27 said:

I like Windows 10 better, but Linux gives you freedom.

We're probably among the only few people who actually like W10.

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Off-topic: I like W8 (Except the touchscreen interface, wish I could remove it so it directly boots to Desktop.)

15 hours ago, Memfis said:

I had a Linux period in my life but it ended when I realized that I was doing everything I could to make it as similar to Windows as possible. Then an idea struck me...

Linux is good if your into programming and web servers and more secure than Windows (That's what I heard at least.)

Oh, and it could run Windows programs through Wine, allegedly even better than Windows on some programs. (See what works and what doesn't) Alternatively check out ReactOS if it interests you.

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Of course. Maybe because someone who doesn't like a Windows 10 he is a fan of Apple or Linuxoid or someone who doesn't have much money for new PC or laptop. Or maybe he doesn't love something new and prefer to use something old (in a short he's an old fart). Before, I also did not like the new operating system Windows 10 because I thought that if I download software I should be arrested and I also didn't like new design that names a "minimalism". But I've been using Windows 10 for 2 years ago and nothing happens. And "minimalism" style isn't bad. Of course I love something new. So I love Windows 10.

WINDOWS 7 FOREVER!!! (Yes, I have to be that guy)

Jokes aside, I am so accustomed to Windows 7, that I will have some trouble changing to other OSes, no matter if it is Microsoft or not who produces them.

It's not that I can't, but I don't want to switch right now.

About Linux, I respect it as an OS and I am guessing that I will eventually have to install it for later years in college, thanks to its speed and all the tools it could provide me.

And if I ever download it, I will be happy to learn more about it (most likely it would be Ubuntu for me, since I am already a tiny bit familiar with it).

About newer Microsoft OSes, it is totally a no go for me. Something about them just doesn't click.

But I will keep Windows 7 for the games on my PC. The compatibility in it is unrivaled.

I've switched to Ubuntu from Windows 10 recently, because I've got so tired of Windows being laggy and of those endless updates. Ubuntu feels much better and the only con for me is it's quite limited selection of games.

I switched to Linux from Windows 98 because Windows sucked, it was cool to hate Microsoft and I also loved the tinkering and hacking side of Linux. Then in 2007 I switched to OS X because I grew tired of the tinkering. I wanted the computer that I use daily to just work. And because OS X was Unix based it felt almost like home. Then in 2015 I switched back to Linux because the desktop side had matured enough to offer an almost carefree everyday user experience. I haven't used Windows much and feel lost with it when I have to use it.

So yes, I like Linux a lot. I use Ubuntu because it seems to have the largest community, it has more software packages than other distros and generally it's supported well everywhere. All this contributes to the carefree experience that I'm looking for in my daily usage.

I am somewhere between the first 2 options. Linux is da best, IMO, but I do use Windows for mapping and a few games.

19 hours ago, BJ34 said:

But it's not good for games and softwares like a Cubase, Photoshop and another one that was made only for Win and Mac.

7 hours ago, Redwind said:

the only con for me is it's quite limited selection of games.

Not sure if you are aware, but there are a lot of "Windows-only" games and other software that Linux enthusiasts have managed to get working on various Linux distros. I'd recommend googling anything you're interested in. There might even be a native Linux "lookalike".

Also, the limited selection problem is not with the OS... the problem is that developers pretty much market to Windows and Mac users, and ignore Linux. :-\

I, unfortunately, dont have a computer atm...but ill share my opinions...

I do like Linux, a lot actually, but wouldnt say its my favourite...my favourite OS by far is macOS, i love the simplicity and absolute gorgeousness of it...BUT i dont have a fucking pile of cash laying around to buy one of those overpriced metal slabs, so my dreams are pretty much crushed there lol...

Linux is awesome in its own special way...like the freedom, safety, and a LOT of customization. its pretty fucking sweet imo, but it lacks user-friendliness that both Windows and macOS have...

I could never really use Linux for daily life (as much as i wanted to) becuase i just had to have Windows for its usability and programs...i actually kept using Windows XP until finally in early 2017 i had to let it go for Windows 10...(so sad)

seriously tho Windows XP is the fucking king of anything Microsoft...

EDIT: LOL im the only one who voted for Mac...

Linux is the programmer's OS, hands-down. Win 10 strikes my every nerve - I feel like, over the years, MS has pushed and pulled at me with this and that, to the point that I feel violated.

*But*

Windows runs my stuff - I just can't get past that. Yes, you can usually "get it working" anywhere, with some effort, but I can't expect everyone to have my patience. I guess, for me, I could always run multiple boxes... That's a good long-term goal. It's the learning curve, in units of time that keeps me from going there, for now.

On 4/8/2018 at 4:14 PM, Memfis said:

I've been humorously thinking about this comment all day.  If I went the same route as your idea, I'd end up using AmigaOS :-P

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Linux is really important - In terms of efficient use of processing power, running things like fame servers and web servers, Linux is the only real choice. Windows does all this random shit by default on it's own and doesn't even inform you half the time, always hated that about it.

In terms of UI and program compatibility, I simply have to pick Windows. They're trying to make the UI more clunky, confusing and unusable with each new version, but a human being can still realistically navigate it without being a computer guru.

The long-short of it: For general home use, Windows does the trick. For servers or other things of that nature, it's Linux ten times over.

1 hour ago, Marn said:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Huh, I didn't know Richard Stallman was on Doomworld :-P

Though in all seriousness, you are indeed correct.  I just never cared enough to specify the "GNU/" part since the term "Linux" without any prefixes/suffixes in everyday speech is essentially synonymous.  Though on the other hand, with how much love I have for the FSF and GNU, I probably should be a bit better about the whole Linux vs GNU/Linux thing...

5 hours ago, The Unclassy German said:

seriously tho Windows XP is the fucking king of anything Microsoft...

I agree with this based on my personal experience.

Too bad stability and security have always been its weak points. It never came close to being as secure as 7 or the steaming pile of horseshit Vista was.