Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Eagle Speedmapping Session 11 - It Was A Good Run, Folks. (Time up.)

Yes, unfortunately. Eagle Speedmapping Session 11 will be the final Eagle Speedmapping Session.

As with last time, the session will be run for 48 h because I misjudged the timing!, so one can begin speedmapping and submit their map whenever they feel comfortable. I would like that everyone uses 4 hours for their speedmapping. You can start whenever in the 24 hours, as long as you finish until 30 minutes after the session formally ends.

You know the rest of the rules, Boom format, external resources should either be imported or mentioned where they're from.

Since this is the last session, I might do some theme refining: give three major themes (etc mineshaft, ship, church) but also three restrictions, and anyone mapping for their major theme can do all or any restriction. I'll still think more about it and see what fits; if I find I can't really do that, I will scrap that and return to the 3-theme format in time.

https://discord.gg/2eDbEAa DISCORD LINK

DATE AND TIME: May 13th, 1 PM GMT - May 14th, 1 PM GMT <-- THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD'VE BEEN, I've mistakenly started it a day early.

I hope most of the Eagle mappers come by for the last one, so we have a nice reunion at the end.

I would like to thank everybody who participated in these sessions. I've personally had a great time holding them and I loved the turnout. Even when we got 3 maps, I was happy that people didn't lose faith. I was happy when mapping newbies would come by and contribute a map, it made me remember my ASS maps. I managed to fulfill my goal - in some way, I've brought speedmapping back into Doomworld, and I'm extremely proud of it. When I saw Abyssal return, that was really nice, as a regular session also returned. Thank you all who've participated: @Pinchy, @Walter confetti, @Surreily, @Forli, @bonnie, @everennui, @Suitepee, @Breezeep, @therektafire, @Spie812, @A2Rob, @bzzrak, @dl_simc, @StormCatcher.77, @bioshockfan90, @NoisyVelvet, @NeedHealth, @elmle, @NuclearPotato, @NecrumWarrior, @antares031, @Philnemba, @NEANDERTHAL, @Scotty, @AnonimVio, @Big Ol Billy and @Solarn. Thank you all for being part in here. If I have helped you in any way with these sessions, I am extremely happy because of it. You guys also made me understand leadership more and my duties, I've also in some way found out things through these sessions.

Thank you.

THEMES

moving architecture - for instance rising stairs, lowering walls, doors closing and changing the environment
interlocked areas - use windows and openings to create a sense of a very nicely interlocked level
health/ammo only at the start - like MAP19 of Hell Revealed, give full health/armor/ammo to the player at the start and no more until the end of the map.

Edited by NaZa : Time

Good luck for the last incoming session for you Naza. Make the last session end up with a good big bang.

Final session? Shit, I gotta make a map for this. Thanks NaZa, for really getting me out of a mapping slump and getting me into speedmapping. It's helped me improve a lot. 

A final farewell to the Eagle Speedmapping Sessions eh? Well it was fun making my first ever map for the second one of these, and livestreaming most of the series.

I will definitely consider streaming this farewell edition as a fitting tribute to the hard work and effort put in by all the mappers over the year or so this has been going on. It's probably helped a few Doom mappers on their journey to greater successes.....

Good luck with the last session T_T I hope to partecipate for this last ride...

However did any other session after 5 was released to idgames? I don't remember it...

10 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Good luck with the last session T_T I hope to partecipate for this last ride...

However did any other session after 5 was released to idgames? I don't remember it...

None except 7 because I've found out there were a lot of compilation bugs (5 as well was shoddily compiled) so I've been fixing those as of lately

Oh no, the final session? ;-; I guess irl stuff is keeping you from participating and making more? Makes sense I guess. I will always be nostalgic for eagle since I released my first publicly released map for it :(

As it's getting ever so closer, I'd like to specially invite @bonnie to come to participate in this one as well. It's the last session, finally the time for no more arguments or nonsense; let's just have fun and map again, like for the first few sessions!

As always, a texture pack is allowed, given that you're either able to import it correctly or if you know the source of it. 

THEMES

- moving architecture - for instance rising stairs, lowering walls, doors closing and changing the environment
- interlocked areas - use windows and openings to create a sense of a very nicely interlocked level
- health/ammo only at the start - like MAP19 of Hell Revealed, give full health/armor/ammo to the player at the start and no more until the end of the map.

Happy mapping everyone!

10 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

oh woops.  forgot about this.  just got my coffee.  maybe i'll  try to make something within the hour.

No, you have a whole 24 h and you can begin speedmapping whenever! You can start and end whenever within these 24 hours (I'd like if everybody spent max 4 hours but it's OK if it's a bit longer)! That's why I made it last a day; timezone flexibility.

k

download: noisy_EndOfTheEagles_v1.zip

noisy_EndOfTheEagles_v2.zip

noisy_EndOfTheEagles_v3.zip

name: dunno

themes: all of them.  there's technically some resources outside of the start, but it's loaded at the start room so it's in the spirit of the theme.

stock textures except for the sky.

time 4 hrs

testing: not much (i'll brb...)

edit: hahah several things don't work: broken cyberdemon teleports that are supposed to cycle but dont', a blocking midtex that i forgot to make blocking, and i think i even may have marked monsters for HMP that were supposed to be UV (reversing the difficulty for some monsters).  still works, can max it without softlocking.  noisy_endoftheeagles_demo.zip

edit: ok here's v2

Edited by NoisyVelvet

EDIT: Added difficulty settings and even nasty surprises in multiplayer mode!

Fixed few aestethic texture problem, changed the switch position for acess the secret room

final eagle.zip

Title: Final fight for the eagles

Theme: interlocked areas

Build time: 4 hours, more than less + half hour for fixing

New music: If i could fly - Helloween (midi rendition from unknown)

New textures: Yes, from DrDoctor texture pack, Mortiser Texture Pack, a pair made by me and a skybox from Eradrop. All of them are in the wad.

A little slaughtermap of sorts that i had in mind to do from the first time i see this project. Originally used a midi of "Eagle fly free" by Helloween, but that midi really, REALLY sucked, so ichoose for this track instead.

Edited by Walter confetti : fixed map

A tiny bit more than five hours remain - just enough to, if you already haven't, start and finish your map!

Oh my God, I am so sorry guys! The session should have started now, and not yesterday! 

Because of this huge bottle-up, I'll extend the session time for an additional 24 hours, to accommodate for anyone who wanted to submit a map and this would basically disallow them to.

I'm terribly sorry for this, this is not how I wanted it to happen.

I think it was strange that was started yesterday! Anyway, I hope to see more than 2 maps, maybe 3 or 4 this time 😂

Aside these silly jokes,  I hope to see more maps for this session...

EDIT: Hey @NaZa, what do you think of adding a new bonus theme for this extended time session? Just an idea i've got...

Yeah, that's a good idea.

BONUS THEME: A secret leads to a completely new optional area. Due to it being a secret, you can add some powerups there if you are doing Theme 3.

Also, regarding Theme 3 (giving health ammo etc) BFG is omitted from the theme, meaning that the mapper can give it at the start, but also later.

3 hours ago, NaZa said:

Oh my God, I am so sorry guys! The session should have started now, and not yesterday! 

Because of this huge bottle-up, I'll extend the session time for an additional 24 hours, to accommodate for anyone who wanted to submit a map and this would basically disallow them to.

I'm terribly sorry for this, this is not how I wanted it to happen.

lol.  i didn't even catch that.

also, here's version 3

download: noisy_EndOfTheEagles_v3.zip

changes:

added midi ("Hotel California" by the Eagles, of course)

also, i made a couple minor changes that I hope you won't mind.

added more armor, shells and rockets to the beginning stores on UV,

added meaningful difficulty settings, so HMP and HNTR area actually worth playing on if one is too tough.

Screenshot_Doom_20180513_175447.png.0602976bccd508346cbc792ac0d93db1.png

TITLE: The Black Afterlife

AUTHOR: NaZa

BUILD TIME: Pretty much 4 hours

INSPIRATION: Hell Revealed! I found the start eerily similar and just continued being inspired by it.

THEMES: Interlock, full start, secret

MUSIC: Havana Smooth by Lee Jackson (HellRevealed MAP10)

COMMENTS: Did all map in stock textures except the HR sky because I wanted to go back to basics, like the first Eagle session. Because I'd given all resources at the start (except the snazzy secret; I've noticed a stray BFG in an area that I'll have to remove) so I probably made my hardest and most difficult map. Architecture is minimalistic and very, very HR-ish. There's a lot of callbacks here and there, and it's all good. I like how the map turned out!

ess11_naza.zip

@NaZa heh, i actually ran around with the berserk first try and just tried to punch everything, because I didn't notice myself get the weapons.  didn't record fda, but here's a softlock.  also the nukage isn't damaging, not sure if intentional.

bxDki4i.jpg

I was very confused as to why it seemed to start a day earlier than advertised. :P  I'll be turning in something later today, once Mother's Day festivities die down over here.

@NoisyVelvet Woah, I forgot a player might want to revisit the area down there. I'll fix that, as well as numerous gameplay/design fixes in 24 hours. Thanks!