Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gerardo194

Resurrecting the missing Doom64 monsters. ("missing" weapon animations done)

The brain doesn't look right. I suggest making the "snakes" fatter so there is only just enough space between them to be able to tell where one ends and another starts. Look at a picture of a real brain for reference.

I am certainly not trying to claim that I could do better, but I do think that you could do better, and I am trying in my little way to help you.

@Empyre thanks for your criticism. I think there's no need to say that you/me could do better because nothing done by us is perfect in this world. 

Of course I need to make those "snakes" fatter, that's not that difficult. I was thinking about that last Sunday but I ketp it like that. Sure I will make them fatter, that's why I said I need to retouch the monsters (with the exception of the Revenant, cause he looks great now) to get a better look. 

and regarding of the brain, I took D64 Arachnotron's brain from the poster and sprites to get a reference.

Anyway thank you very much for your suggestion.

@Gerardo194 @Erick194 I like everything you have been doing and also your love for D64/PSXDoom. I really hope you could keep doing your projects until all is done. I know how hard is so I will be supporting and giving opinions about your works.

I like how your Spider Mastermind looks. I think it would looks nice if she have a pair of arms.

I also tried to do a recreation of the Mancubus' and Arachnotron's models in D64 and an incomplete version of the deleted "laser" gun using Paint 3D.

I wonder if you will do a recreation of that laser gun for this project too.

Thank you for supporting us @NightmareMan, all of our projects are still alive and we are almost finishing them after all this time. Thank you for your opinion about the Spider Demon, I was thinking that too about adding her a pair of arms as you said, I'm gonna try to find a room for them!! 

It's good to hear you were also working on doing Doom64 monsters's recreation, and using Paint 3D as well... I'd like to see them.

About that deleted laser gun... Of course I'm gonna try to do it, my friend. Just need to try to find a pic of it again. I'm also gonna do the scrapped Doom64 monsters in 3D. 

BTW, Welcome to the forums :)

The bulky spider demon legs are a great fit. There's a more sleek, armored appearance to the D64 arachnotrons and I think this serves an excellent upgrade for the mother version. 

Do the fangs have certain reason to be so straight even for side view?

Edited by Quadrops

On 6/8/2018 at 10:19 AM, GoatLord said:

The bulky spider demon legs are a great fit. There's a more sleek, armored appearance to the D64 arachnotrons and I think this serves an excellent upgrade for the mother version. 

Thank you very much. I also think the same like you when view this Spider Demon model. I'm thinking of doing the legs a little bit more bulkier and tall by the way.

6 hours ago, Quadrops said:

Do the fangs have certain reason to be so straight even for side view?

Nope, there's no certain reason to that. Remember it needs polishing. :)

On 6/10/2018 at 4:51 AM, The_SloVinator said:

Man, a fan-made sequel to Doom 64 with cut bestiary in it, would be the best thing ever.

That's something I've planned long time ago and is going to happen, my friend. :)

7 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

That's something I've planned long time ago and is going to happen, my friend. :)

Good luck & make it with love & passion. :) No rush.

What I think would be terrific is if an enhanced version of Doom 64 could be released that utilized these new sprites once they're finished. There have been several projects over the years that have brought the game to the PC and they all have their drawbacks.

The original Absolution mod for Doomsday emulated most of the game's effects well, the reverse-engineered levels are accurate and it featured several exclusive maps, but it was still rough around the edges. Doom 64 EX is near-perfect in terms of emulation but doesn't really offer much enhancement other than high resolution modes, jumping, mouselook, etc. Then you have Brutal Doom 64 which offers some wonderful aesthetic polish—most notably the gorgeous light shafts and some surprisingly subtle gore effects—but it's a wildly inconsistent ride, with some levels completely missing their fog/light diminishing, a lack of gradient effects on the walls (pretty sure UDMF can pull off a reasonable facsimile of the lighting, although one wonders why Mark didn't use Doom Builder 64 as a base) and a lot of Frankensteining in order to represent the missing enemies.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in saying that I would like to see the best of all worlds; a visually enhanced Doom 64 (maybe even one that brings back the new maps from Absolution, or just contains new maps regardless) that utilizes the replacement sprites being worked on in this thread. @Gerardo194's work is looking to be consistent with the original art style and I think it deserves to be used in some kind of "ultimate edition" of Doom 64. BTW, do you plan to add the female archvile and Cerberus-esque designs that were scrapped from the original game?

Thank you so much for your appreciation @GoatLord As you may know, I'm also working on Doom64 for GZDoom [GEC] Master Edition, this version is a conversion of Doom64 Ex for GZDoom that will offer to the user an enhanced version of Doom64 that anyone can modify. It will also feature these missing Demons as well. Who knows if someone would be willing to recreated the Absolution's exclusive maps for this when released and even more. Also these monsters will be available for everyone to use for their mods.

We could be needing help to make an enhanced Doom64 version in the future; meanwhile, I see everything is going well with our current Community Project: Master Edition Doom for the PS1. 

Regarding the Cerberus and female Arch-vile, of course they will be included to party along more monsters; a fan made sequel to Doom64 might be a possibility soon. More coming soon.

Edited by Gerardo194

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

the reverse-engineered levels are accurate

Not really, I'd argue they're about 60-75% accurate. They took quite a few creative liberties.

10 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Not really, I'd argue they're about 60-75% accurate. They took quite a few creative liberties.

It's been awhile since I've played it, what kind of stuff did you notice?

It's been a while for me too, there's altered lighting and colors (as in sector lighting), completely changed geometry in areas that couldn't replicate D64's specific features (no cameras on MAP01, no sideways crusher on MAP02, for examples) and altered demon key collecting order and locations. At the time this TC was the best possible thing to a D64 on PC, but it's been done much better since.

5 hours ago, GoatLord said:

What I think would be terrific is if an enhanced version of Doom 64 could be released that utilized these new sprites once they're finished. There have been several projects over the years that have brought the game to the PC and they all have their drawbacks.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in saying that I would like to see the best of all worlds; a visually enhanced Doom 64 (maybe even one that brings back the new maps from Absolution, or just contains new maps regardless) that utilizes the replacement sprites being worked on in this thread. @Gerardo194's work is looking to be consistent with the original art style and I think it deserves to be used in some kind of "ultimate edition" of Doom 64.

I am planning to use them in Doom 64 Retribution when they are finished with @Gerardo194's permission of course. There's also the Revenant that @DrPyspy is working on. Will need to compare and see which is best... OR USE BOTH!

Regardless, the cut monsters will still never be placed in original Doom 64 levels and will instead be used in new maps only. In fact, I am considering expanding the Retribution episode so I can get better use out of these cut monsters. I want Retribution to stand out and using the cut monsters as a feature would be a really good move.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

There's also the Revenant that @DrPyspy is working on. Will need to compare and see which is best... OR USE BOTH!

I think this would be a fantastic idea, it would give us more variety. You would effectively have a hell knight/baron of hell situation, except the sprites would look different instead of just being palette swaps.

These look absolutely fantastic. You've totally captured the style of the Doom64 artists.

On 6/20/2018 at 5:33 PM, Nevander said:

I am planning to use them in Doom 64 Retribution when they are finished with @Gerardo194's permission of course. There's also the Revenant that @DrPyspy is working on. Will need to compare and see which is best... OR USE BOTH!

Regardless, the cut monsters will still never be placed in original Doom 64 levels and will instead be used in new maps only. In fact, I am considering expanding the Retribution episode so I can get better use out of these cut monsters. I want Retribution to stand out and using the cut monsters as a feature would be a really good move.

I hope you can execute this idea.  Like Lila Feuer said it would feel like an expansion.  I had thought about if any of the cut monsters could work in the preexisting levels but those levels were not created with them in mind so it might be kind of tough to fit them in.

On 6/21/2018 at 1:03 PM, Gifty said:

These look absolutely fantastic. You've totally captured the style of the Doom64 artists.

Thank you very much, friend. I put all my efforts doing this and now, I'm texturing and rigging these models. Arch Vile is done now.

There's another one that also have captured the style of D64 artists too, just check @NightmareMan 's profile out. His work on D64 monsters is very impressive. 

May I suggest giving the Spider Mastermind's mechanical bits a more rusted, weathered kind of look? And maybe a more reddish hue than the Arachnatron for the its fleshy parts?

Just a thought.

@SteelPH I'll be considering your thoughts about the Spider Demon. 

The Arch-Vile and Revenant are done and they look awesome, specially the Revenant.