Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gerardo194

Resurrecting the missing Doom64 monsters. ("missing" weapon animations done)

If you can pull off properly digitized sprites this'll be amazing. Will sounds be included too?

Also, some suggestions:

- HW Guy could have a gas mask; presently he looks a little too similar to D64's other zombies. (On that note- did anyone ever fix their weird left-handed gun firing? It's always irked me.)

- Revenant could have a single launcher with either nothing on the other shoulder or something support-oriented (a rangefinder, maybe?) This would make it look better when it fires a single rocket, unlike the Doom 2 rev.

Spiderdemon could feature a heavier loadout than the stock one, to make it a more threatening boss rather than the underwhelming thing it was in vanilla Doom. To that end it could use an added rocket launcher or maybe a plasma gun in addition to its existing chaingun.

My theory is that the Doom 2 revenant does use both rocket launchers, but they fire alternately, not concurrently. Maybe one fires heat seekers and the other does not, which would explain the 50% chance of firing a heat seeker.

Some monsters in doom 64 shot dual proyectiles such as the arachnotron, so i don't think that a dual missiles revenant actually firing dual rockets wouldn't had been out of place in doom 64

2 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

Some monsters in doom 64 shot dual proyectiles such as the arachnotron, so i don't think that a dual missiles revenant actually firing dual rockets wouldn't had been out of place in doom 64

Totally agree! I also recall early in the Doom 64 development the Cyberdemon has dual rocket launchers. I think it was an actual model if I recall correctly.

10 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

If you can pull off properly digitized sprites this'll be amazing. Will sounds be included too?

Also, some suggestions:

- HW Guy could have a gas mask; presently he looks a little too similar to D64's other zombies. (On that note- did anyone ever fix their weird left-handed gun firing? It's always irked me.)

- Revenant could have a single launcher with either nothing on the other shoulder or something support-oriented (a rangefinder, maybe?) This would make it look better when it fires a single rocket, unlike the Doom 2 rev.

Spiderdemon could feature a heavier loadout than the stock one, to make it a more threatening boss rather than the underwhelming thing it was in vanilla Doom. To that end it could use an added rocket launcher or maybe a plasma gun in addition to its existing chaingun.

It should be easy enough to do digitized sprites or even post the 6 - 8+ animations and I can digitize them, turn them into Doom size with the Doom color palette.

13 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

Also, some suggestions:

Your suggestions are good, but I planning to do these monsters similar to vanilla Doom/Doom64 even in terms of their behavior. But modified/altered versions of these as you suggest can be done for mods! A chaingunner using a gas mask sounds cool, even carrying two chainguns.

9 hours ago, Marlamir said:

They look good so far, maybe the arch-vile legs could be bitt taller?

I was thinking about that this morning and I know now that I need to make them a bit taller. We had the same idea. Thank you very much. I will do it!

9 hours ago, FraxGamer314 said:

Arch-Vile looks Marathon-ish.

Hahaha, I see you are right! He's been running since Doom 2 was released. Who knows, maybe his behavior might be similar to Doom 2 but we're still thinking about that. Btw, Do you like his color?

@Empyre I also have thought that as well, heheh.

@Eligos thank you very much for liking them, I've been doing this for our projects and for the community. I will be working on this for coming Doom 64 style monsters... I've seen that Revenant in a video that was posted in a thread around here. It looks fantastic, well design and keeping Doom 2's Revenant movement. Hope it gets done, too. The Revenant I will design will be absolutely different to this. Many crazy ideas have been floating around here. And thanks for sharing those early Doom 64 concepts, @Ex Oblivione has a good memory. It will keep them for posterity.

Thanks everyone!! More updates coming soon.

Criticsm: The arch-vile model looks complicated to Doom64 atmosphere. And it lacks of Doom II-ish appearance.

Suggestion: Put the arch-viles in strategic area so it would be not too hard to fight with.Putting it in enclosed are will be annoying.

{Arch-Viles are already annoying, putting it in enclosed area will be annoying¹²³³²¹¹²³)

On 13/4/2018 at 2:44 AM, Visplane Overflow! said:

Criticsm: The arch-vile model looks complicated to Doom64 atmosphere. And it lacks of Doom II-ish appearance.

Suggestion: Put the arch-viles in strategic area so it would be not too hard to fight with.Putting it in enclosed are will be annoying.

{Arch-Viles are already annoying, putting it in enclosed area will be annoying¹²³³²¹¹²³)

That Arch Vile isn't completed yet hehe, there are still many details to add up. About your suggestion, I will consider it. 

INFO: the pictures have been updated into higher resolution.

@Gerardo194

When he says the monster looks Marathon-ish, he means like the monsters from the game Marathon, not that he is like a marathon runner! :D

11 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Thanks for your explanation @VGA. And I don't know that game hehe.

It was a Doom-like game for the MacIntosh from the people that later created the Halo series. Sorry for the off-topic :D

Just a little update. The Arch Vile is being  built again. It will keep it's design but will look better. And probably I will be making that Dual Rocket Launcher Cyberdemon. Time will decide.

These look great and promising. 

For the Arch Vile, some time ago Aubrey Hodges released demos of what was to become the sound effects for him. 

Somebody did some really cool processing with those arch vile sounds in a thread here a few months back. ... I found it! It was in the same thread that Aubrey Hodges started to give us those sounds (Page 2 of that thread):

4 hours ago, Empyre said:

Somebody did some really cool processing with those arch vile sounds in a thread here a few months back. ... I found it! It was in the same thread that Aubrey Hodges started to give us those sounds (Page 2 of that thread):

Wow, thank you for that link. Very cool stuff!

15 hours ago, GoatLord said:

It's a good start, the archvile just needs to be a bit more Doom-y. More demonic, less alien.

Thanks!! So the Arch Vile looks more alien to you, huh? Is it his head, face or whole body? Maybe the new one will look more Doom-y hehe. I just need to finish his head again.

42 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Thanks!! So the Arch Vile looks more alien to you, huh? Is it his head, face or whole body? Maybe the new one will look more Doom-y hehe. I just need to finish his head again.

If you look at the sculpture of the original archvile, it has mostly human features, and a terrifying, otherworldly face. Your entire model is otherworldly, and the humanness of the face is obfuscated by a lot of peculiar segmented touches. It ends up giving the model an almost vegetative or dragon-like appearance. Now, that's not the say the model is bad, in fact it's quite nice, but it strays a bit too much from the overtly demonic characteristics of a typical Doom enemy. The archvile is an elongated, pale, emaciated fire thrower with a face full of hate. Think about how that might translate to your model. I don't think it would need major adjustments.

archvile2.png

Archvile_sculpt.jpg

I think you put too many details and curves in the 3D model which won't translate very well when turned into a low res sprite. Better to keep the 3D model simple, and add some detail to the final sprites.

On 24/4/2018 at 12:59 PM, VGA said:

I think you put too many details and curves in the 3D model which won't translate very well when turned into a low res sprite. Better to keep the 3D model simple, and add some detail to the final sprites.

This Arch Vile model won't be use anymore, it showed many problems to me in terms of adding the final touches, so I have to scrap it. At least, he did his best.

On 24/4/2018 at 12:29 PM, GoatLord said:

It ends up giving the model an almost vegetative or dragon-like appearance. 

Spoiler

6zd9egohtf9ax73zg.jpg

Hey, did you see what you've done? Now he's very angry...

On 24/4/2018 at 12:29 PM, GoatLord said:

Now, that's not the say the model is bad, in fact it's quite nice, but it strays a bit too much from the overtly demonic characteristics of a typical Doom enemy. 

Actually, I think the model isn't good at all, it's shitty, but I had a lot of fun using Paint3D by doing it, Paint3D really gave a good experience to me. And his face was taken from Doom 64 actually.

The Ach Vile now has a completely new face, started and finished this morning and it's full of HATE! 

Spoiler

siza9l3byv1ddtrzg.jpg

Hope you like it, more coming soon, been busy with my studies :)

Would the appearances of these missing monsters alter Doom 64's gameplay in any form? 

The game had a few major changes in gameplay to make up for the lack of monsters. For one, lost souls are a bit overpowered and are more dangerous than usual. The super shotgun is more powerful and reloads faster. 

I always believed that Doom 64's love for the hell knights barons was to try and balance the game since it was missing a few monsters. Player movement speed is also slowed down a bit (one of the things that turns people off to the game). 

The traps in the game that shot spikes and the double rockets probably was done to make up for not having revenants. 

I wonder if any of the Midway developers who made this game are still around and could offer insight. 

The new archvile face looks much better but im curious how its going to look when you convert them into doom sprites.