Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nervewar

Anybody ever made or seen a semi truck or similar vehicle in vanilla Doom?

I'm curious if any of you have ever made a parked semi truck, or vehicle of any sort using classic vanilla Doom (without using any new zDoom features such as slopes, or sectors above sectors). For my level I'm working on now I'm wanting to include a semi truck, so I would love to see some references of how other people have gone about making one and texturing it in a convincing way.

Or if you haven't made one, but know of any WADS that have something like this I could play, I'd love to know so I can check them out...

Thanks!

do you mean like a drivable one??

if ur talkin about a regular truck, that would be pretty easy to make, since semi trucks don't really have that many slopes, so you'd just need to make and/or import some custom textures for the different parts of the truck, like the tires, the hood, the windshield, etc.

i hope my unhelpful words helped you friend

Hey thanks for the reply Bonnie. I'm not looking to make it driveable, I just want it stationery/parked as an environmental design element. The main thing I'm looking to see is how the wheels would be achieved through just texturing. Also curious about different ways the windshield/cab could be built and textured on just a flat/90 degree plane...

Appreciate it!

32 minutes ago, bonnie said:

do you mean like a drivable one??

if ur talkin about a regular truck, that would be pretty easy to make, since semi trucks don't really have that many slopes, so you'd just need to make and/or import some custom textures for the different parts of the truck, like the tires, the hood, the windshield, etc.

i hope my unhelpful words helped you friend

Awesome, thanks a lot for this! I was worried how trying to incorporate wheels was going to work with a texture. Not sure if I'd be happy using that technique in my own map. Seems to work pretty good on that jeep though. I suppose with some lighting tricks it could potentially look better too... Anyway this definitely gives me something to mull over.

Another random question, happened to have ever seen a tank made in a vanilla Doom wad?

Thanks so much!

22 minutes ago, RjY said:

The truck from ev19 uses its own wheel texture TYWHEEL1:

Napalm refines it into a jeep and adds a steering wheel made out of EXITDOOR:

10 minutes ago, nervewar said:

Another random question, happened to have ever seen a tank made in a vanilla Doom wad?

TVR! map15, again using a custom texture for the tracks.

OySevRG.png

YazDZqi.png

Iirc, for his THT level, Financial Crisis at Enwrong, Dobu got NinjaLiquidator to make a executive's red sports car. Technically the map is in boom format, but I believe that no boom actions were used to make this. I do know it uses texture bleeding to work though, so it is likely closer to a vanilla implementation than might be supposed by the map format. The only thing I gotta note about "vanilla" and any sector art such as sector furniture, cars, toilets, myhouse, etc. is that the more complex you make it the more likely you are to run afoul of vanilla's limits, which is one reason most vanilla cars wind up as basically crates with car-wallpaper plastered on them. Still, I always approve of sector furniture when done well, like those cute Kama Sutra ones :D

Kb1 also showed me a school bus in one wad; i forget what wad it was but it was basically of the wallpaper-covered-crate variety.

Wow so many cool vehicles here!

4 hours ago, RjY said:

TVR! map15, again using a custom texture for the tracks.

OySevRG.png

^ Niiice, that's pretty sweet. I was wondering how a barrel like that barrel could be achieved, looks like lowering the ceiling all the way is how to do it.

4 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

Here's some cute vehicles from Kama Sutra:

Reveal hidden contents

doom959.png.104a74d07e00949371d0acfbfe02471c.png

doom960.png.f0b212dd13582db0a366fd5c6f277a16.png

doom961.png.62dc0f8b6e3d0cbfd93232ec06737211.png

doom962.png.a8385903c85c23b9c9ed239a33e15da0.png

doom965.png.ddbaab2eed0c4dd8d28c63a24d042eed.png

doom967.png.0e1fa8d06ad2f162167efa22e6ff4251.png

doom968.png.0e4f80b692a9104e1f6667521e4018d6.png

doom966.png.6954c5c27a22e1fc7546029ab0b1d464.png

^ Tons of awesome stuff here, I gotta check this Kama Sutra wad out. That helicopter is especially impressive. So cool.

4 hours ago, xvertigox said:

At work so I can't take screenshots but Doomsday of UAC had trucks at the start. You should be able to see them in this video -

^ Thanks man! Yeah got a good look at them in that video, appreciate it!

4 hours ago, Fonze said:

YazDZqi.png

Iirc, for his THT level, Financial Crisis at Enwrong, Dobu got NinjaLiquidator to make a executive's red sports car. Technically the map is in boom format, but I believe that no boom actions were used to make this. I do know it uses texture bleeding to work though, so it is likely closer to a vanilla implementation than might be supposed by the map format. The only thing I gotta note about "vanilla" and any sector art such as sector furniture, cars, toilets, myhouse, etc. is that the more complex you make it the more likely you are to run afoul of vanilla's limits, which is one reason most vanilla cars wind up as basically crates with car-wallpaper plastered on them. Still, I always approve of sector furniture when done well, like those cute Kama Sutra ones :D

Kb1 also showed me a school bus in one wad; i forget what wad it was but it was basically of the wallpaper-covered-crate variety.

^ Ah cool, I was contemplating doing some stairstepping like that for my windshield. Not sure if I'll go that route since it looks a little too "lego" for me and ultimately I want to be somewhat realistic. That's cool to see though.

2 hours ago, Rosh Fragger said:

Images taken from a wad named "Horde_v1.2". It was made a few years ago by Sr69mm-Jc & RantRave. 

Link: https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/Horde-v1-2

Coop-20180410-035222.png

Coop-20180410-035325.png

Coop-20180410-035336.png

^ This particular technique of relying solely on the textures seems to work pretty well in this instance. Obviously the wheels look kind of weird how they're cut off like that, but with the right texture work I could see this working.

2 hours ago, Memfis said:

^ Haha this is probably the most amusing of the bunch. I do like how the cab is actually open creating real negative space for the windshield. Hmmm.

Lots of great stuff to reference and be inspired by here, thanks so much everybody!

1 hour ago, Ledillman said:

Vanilla Sky by Doomknight has some vehicles in the map.

I believe they were made with lots of tiny 1 unit sectors, there were no new textures used

Those are awesome! But, I have to give credit where it is due: Fonze is the GrandMaster of tiny sector/wall "Franken-texturing", where he makes magical textures and flats (even animated ones, and switch/achievement-controlled) that simply cannot be found in the WADs... Beautiful, flawless, picture-perfect, and unfindable...

Check out Map 12 and Map 19 of THT: Threnody for plenty of awesome examples. Holy shit! See readable "hint books", and 'Text'-ures - heh!

13 hours ago, RjY said:

The truck from ev19 uses its own wheel texture TYWHEEL1:

JIp70oI.png

Napalm refines it into a jeep and adds a steering wheel made out of EXITDOOR:

hHdZkwG.png

I've played that level. Years ago, but seem to remember you could actually go inside it.

Oh man this thread's so cute. I love all these sector cars; I'd never use one in my own levels but I think they're awesome all the same!

Not Doom, but also sector-art, here's a pick-up (semi in the background) that we put together for Redneck Rampage (map: Junkyard). Note the lower part of the car-side texture matching up to the floor texture. Windshield's sloped and texture resolution is higher, but the car should otherwise be approximately achievable in the vanilla Doom engine.

9_1.jpg

...did the same thing to lend some 3D'ness to the watery bridge in Eternal Doom map 12's opening courtyard, but I don't have a pic of that handy.

8 hours ago, kb1 said:

Those are awesome! But, I have to give credit where it is due: Fonze is the GrandMaster of tiny sector/wall "Franken-texturing", where he makes magical textures and flats (even animated ones, and switch/achievement-controlled) that simply cannot be found in the WADs... Beautiful, flawless, picture-perfect, and unfindable...

Check out Map 12 and Map 19 of THT: Threnody for plenty of awesome examples. Holy shit! See readable "hint books", and 'Text'-ures - heh!

uhm  ok

5d69f8836a.png

4763a3b792.png

I wonder why I designed the front side, since it's only visible with noclip cheat.

Oh man I haven't played Redneck Rampage in forever! This is great, I love what you pointed out about the same ground texture being used on the lower underneith part of the truck, that's a pretty convincing trick I'm going to have to mess with. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Soundblock said:

Not Doom, but also sector-art, here's a pick-up (semi in the background) that we put together for Redneck Rampage (map: Junkyard). Note the lower part of the car-side texture matching up to the floor texture. Windshield's sloped and texture resolution is higher, but the car should otherwise be approximately achievable in the vanilla Doom engine.

9_1.jpg

...did the same thing to lend some 3D'ness to the watery bridge in Eternal Doom map 12's opening courtyard, but I don't have a pic of that handy.

13 minutes ago, antares031 said:

"pic"

I wonder why I designed the front side, since it's only visible with noclip cheat.

lol i was gonna post that