Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arl

PBR and Parallax maps for vanilla Doom Textures.

5 hours ago, DoomKrakken said:

It's starting to look like that Unreal Engine 4 version of Doom. XD

Dear Satan nothing will ever look that ugly.

With this Doom looks just amazing.

You know, I've always been impressed by what could be done with various old games, and for good reason.

I actually don't like the way it looks on the liquid here, or the flat, it's honestly kind of garish. I do like specular mapping for things like light sources though.

On mardi 17 avril 2018 at 2:07 AM, DoomKrakken said:

Can this technique be applied to HUD and actor sprites too?

The big thing about physics-based rendering is that it models how light interacts with a surface. Keywords are "light" and "surface". Light needs to come from a direction, and strike the surface at an angle. That's why it doesn't work with Doom's unmodified maps, as they have an ambient, omnidirectional lighting that will simply not do anything -- it's not a realistic lighting model, so it cannot provide any input to something that models how real light works.

Enter sprites. Sprites have a problem because they're not surfaces. They are 2D images projected in the world at a point. You can't model how light hits them realistically because they are not realistic.

And HUD sprites are even worse from that point of view, because they are not even in the world at all! They're just projected on the screen, in a later, separate pass from the world rendering pass. (By the way -- that's why old ZDoom software allowed truecolor HUD sprites even though its renderer didn't handle truecolor graphics...)

As a reminder to all who likes or dislikes the previous screenshots, this project is not responsible for the rendering, only for the texture maps. What you see it's not necessarily what you'll get in the game, but the possibility for any kind of rendering effects who affects pbr materials to have actual materials to interact with.

On 4/29/2018 at 5:39 PM, Xane123 said:

I use Substance Designer and I noticed that GZDoom won't accept any textures that program exports, including color ones. Not sure why that is, but only after I open and save each PNG in Paint do they work in the game. Try saving all of your PBR textures in Paint then re-import them.

GZDoom only accepts maps in 8-bit format.  I think Substance Designer outputs them at a higher bit-rate, so you need to convert them to 8-bit.  My guess is Paint is automatically converting them to 8-bit because they're very simple images.  

On 4/29/2018 at 3:54 PM, Arl said:

I'm reaching completion of entire E1M1:

VVr4W74.png

This is a good example of how Materials requires a more nuanced lightning approach when mapping than plain-old Dynamic Lightning.  The mapper has lit the courtyard which what looks like a single group of lights over by the far window (in order to flood into the room inside).  But what this means is the reflections pick up this single light source, instead of the entire sky as it would be.

In the absence of a "global" directional light function, the only way to light this room so the textures reflect the light properly would be to cover the entire sky-ceiling in numerous, equally distanced attenuated lights that are colored relatively dark so as not to overwhelm the scene with brightness.  

Not a criticism of the textures (they're awesome), more an FYI for anyone planning on using them.

I would absolutely love to get my hands on these, I just hope the original liquid textures won't be changed yeah? I love the art style of Doom liquids :D

VERY nice work....I know how tedious this stuff is to work with, I'm impressed.

Damn, I never thought GZDoom would have this feature. Some of those screenshots look like someone copypasted Doom's hud over another game. Some of this looks like something out of UE4 or Unity (the one's that effort put into them, that is). I like how the STARTAN texture have the shine, but maintain the pixel art charm, which is one of the big draws of GZDoom for me. If the physics get fixed and mesh collision gets implemented, GZDoom will be a damn-near competitive engine.

7 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Physics will never get fixed in Doom.

Watch your tounge, i was saying "there is no way to add texture mappings to doom" a year ago :D

Also whats wrong with dooms physics? works well even without any sourceport as good as hl1 if not better (you know, less glitches and stuff).

I guess only problem i can see is massive framedrop in levels with extremely complex(!) geometries and lack of directional gl lights in gzdoom.

Turning Doom HD without the fugly side effects of 3D models and texture packs. Can't wait to plug this sort of thing into my autoload order.

Interestingly I found the lighting testing to work really well with the Steve's Flashlight mod, shining a light on a reflective wall up close with bloom on pretty much blinds you with the light flare like it would in real-life.

Thinking about it, I guess those Doom 3 texture conversion packs to D2 could also benefit from something like PBR.

Edited by RikohZX

On 7/12/2018 at 7:52 AM, DOOMGABR[RU] said:

How is your work going?

Hey, sorry for the late response. The work is going a bit slow on my part, I'm attending some time consuming circustances.

The user Mynameislol offered to colaborate, and since that I may as well state here that anyone who wishes to help in any form is welcome to take whatever they feel willing and up to do, being working with textures or helping in the tracking of progress, organization of contributions, etc...

I will post a link here and in the first page for whoever wishes to play with what is done so far and to consider helping with any of the said above.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/hwzka3w2019ho/pbr-doom

This includes a folder named "materials" with all the completed textures so far and a compressed file with the normalmaps provided by reddit user mpobers.

12 hours ago, Arl said:

Hey, sorry for the late response. The work is going a bit slow on my part, I'm attending some time consuming circustances.

The user Mynameislol offered to colaborate, and since that I may as well state here that anyone who wishes to help in any form is welcome to take whatever they feel willing and up to do, being working with textures or helping in the tracking of progress, organization of contributions, etc...

I will post a link here and in the first page for whoever wishes to play with what is done so far and to consider helping with any of the said above.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/hwzka3w2019ho/pbr-doom

This includes a folder named "materials" with all the completed textures so far and a compressed file with the normalmaps provided by reddit user mpobers.

Considering how many textures there are to be made, i think it would take months, if not years if it were just the two of us working on this

So, if anybody reading this thread is interested, why not help? Make some PBR materials, or if you don't know how to do that, ask somebody who can who's also interested in doom, the more people working on this, the sooner it will be finished

can i just say, sorry if this is an old thread, but it's not that old

looks FANTASTIC

i think low resolution material mapping like this looks superb and shows a look at a style we never explored in history but almost could have done if there was a generation of console/hardware decision that had strategize for normal mapping tricks before the cheapness of graphics memory.... in some ways it's an almost feasible alternate history

well worth sticking with those classic texture resolutions, it gives it a style of it's own

Can you apply texture to "STEP1"? I'm just testing with Brutal Doom and UDV, all the other textures I tested, worked, except this, what could be happening?

material texture STEP1 //original texture
{ 
   normal "normalmaps/flat/STEP1.png"
   specular "specularmaps/flat/STEP1.png"
   roughness "roughness/flat/STEP1.png"
   ao "roughness/flat/STEP1.png"
   specularlevel "3"
   glossiness "20"
}

image.png

I think your maps are getting applied to the STEP1 texture instead of the STEP1 flat. Try to define it with "material flat STEP1" instead.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

I think your maps are getting applied to the STEP1 texture instead of the STEP1 flat. Try to define it with "material flat STEP1" instead.

Yess!! Thanks!

image.png.5b48f6b7080446db3df3e933d9a6306c.png

12 minutes ago, Mynameislol said:

Pretty much dead.

:/ Sorry for not being able to help. Are you going to release it?

I was always really curious about how something like this might look by designing a modern texture pipeline over the originals. Glad that the engine finally received support and that someone went ahead and made them.

It looks very jarring though with how the smooth reflection of the light is juxtaposed against the chunky upscaled textures. I'm guessing this has to do with the light source generation itself? Would there maybe be some way to modify its rendering resolution to be more in line with the texture fidelity? Perhaps even add some PS1-style dithering to the color depth.

And just regarding the amount of reflections in general... I only have a fairly cursory knowledge over how all this texture tech work from modding Oblivion and Skyrim textures, but from my experience you get that kind of overly glossy look from either lacking or having very bright specular maps. When I looked at the materials archive the specular folder was empty. So if there were some specular textures as well to make the intensity of the reflections more strategic I think it could look a lot cooler and nuanced. Most of the time just editing from monochrome versions of the diffuse layers gets the job done for creating speculars.

Edited by lazygecko

Hey Lazygecko or Arl or anyone that wouldn't mind lending a hand, I downloaded the files for the normal maps etc. and it's not working for me. Are there fancy things I have to do on my part to get this working or no?

13 hours ago, xanrer said:

:/ Sorry for not being able to help. Are you going to release it?

It has not been worked on since the last upload, what you find here is what's done.

15 hours ago, Mynameislol said:

Pretty much dead.

I suspected this would happen. Remaking hundreds of textures in PBR is no small feat. But it's not THAT hard if many people work together. Aren't there that many texture artists on Doomworld? I would have thought there would be at least a decent bunch.

2 hours ago, Mynameislol said:

It has not been worked on since the last upload, what you find here is what's done.

I see, sorry to hear. For newcomers at this can you tell us what programs you used?