Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arl

PBR and Parallax maps for vanilla Doom Textures.

Ooooo this is cool. I immediately imagine using these textures for VR. Would be incredible I think. Looking great :D

Man, this would make Strange Aeons look badass. You can totally use that wad to experiment with this if you want.

On 11/4/2018 at 7:52 PM, kb1 said:

Very nice! Would you mind releasing a WAD with some of these, to allow me to experiment with some rendering code using your data?

Sure, I don't have any problem in sharing my progress in this project. Know that this isn't a wad but a foder containing several sub-folders, I use the good old 'Skins' folder to autoload my mod folder with the game, so you'll have to do the same to use it:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5t3o7xo5mxcvztl/materials.rar

On 11/4/2018 at 8:35 PM, dmg_64 said:

How the heck did you guys manage to get your PBR setups working? I named my spec, normal and AO after the flat I'm about to apply material to, and placed them in their proper /auto/ (materials/normal maps/auto/ ...etc) folders but I get nothing in game, I'm using latest GZDoom, I'm I missing something?

I also struggle with this. Fist make sure name conventions are correct, I don't know if you separate 'normal maps' in this post or you actualy have the folder named like that, when is actually 'normalmaps' without spaces.

Next, note that PBR require four kinds of textures (normal map, AO, roughness, metallic) while simple Normal map requires two (normal map, specular), let's say that these are two diferent circustances. If you lack or put something extra in any of those circustances you'll get nothing in game. The only texture that is required and work in both circustances is the normal map.

Another thing that gave me problems was the names of the textures, since I was looking at the patches in XWE while the actual textures Doom uses are the combined patches defined in the TEXTURE lump, so there is where I needed to look out for the texture's names. FLATS are unchanged and the name stays the same as the graphics you can see in, for instance, XWE.

Also, make sure to have everything okey in Options/display options/dynamic light options. And to have 'Load Lights' checked in the GZDoom launcher.

I tried to define a GLDEFS with no avail.

Edited by Arl

Ah, so that's why they don't show up, kinda weird, I'm not used to having to provide those extra maps, worked thanks :)

Spoiler

j9mnbiT.jpg

Edited by dmg_64

20 hours ago, Arl said:

Sure, I don't have any problem in sharing my progress in this project. Know that this isn't a wad but a foder containing several sub-folders, I use the good old 'Skins' folder to autoload my mod folder with the game, so you'll have to do the same to use it:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5t3o7xo5mxcvztl/materials.rar

Thanks!

rar is not compatible with gzdoom, so it is recommended that once downloaded people decompress it and recompress it to 7z or Zip

https://i.imgur.com/QgkZjKm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9ollnkk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h4VX8MB.png

i try GLE1M1(dynamic light only E1M1)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gl-e1m1/downloads/opengl-e1m1

Liquid is Doom Liquid textures pack V1.1

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addons/doom-liquid-texture-pack

great work.

STOP! I can only get so hard!

_______

seriously though, this is amazing. How an HD remake of Doom SHOULD look.

Nice! Though when I downloaded them and got them autoloading they only show up when being hit with a dynamic light (like a plasma rifle) otherwise i still see the normal vanilla texture look and lighting.  Do I have a setting wrong in gzdoom or something?

12 minutes ago, mark55 said:

Nice! Though when I downloaded them and got them autoloading they only show up when being hit with a dynamic light (like a plasma rifle) otherwise i still see the normal vanilla texture look and lighting.  Do I have a setting wrong in gzdoom or something?

No.

GZDooM supports PBR, but it seems not to correspond to parallax mapping.
Anyway in gloss expression, map ambient light derived from DOOM is not directional and completely helpless.
I used GLE1M1 to replace everything with dynamic light to give directivity to ambient light.
As a point that I care about in GZDOOM, it is that the specular reaction only goes directly to the bottom, but since I do not know which is right, I am doing it for now.
(A new Flash light was added in DarkDooMZ 1.3, it is easy to understand if you try it)

11 hours ago, toshiaki2115 said:

I used GLE1M1 to replace everything with dynamic light to give directivity to ambient light.

Interesting. I thought using mostly just dynamic lights for lightning would cripple performance.

On 12/04/2018 at 8:21 PM, wheresthebeef said:

Not feeling it on those giant bricks; might be better if they were 1/4 their size.

Tried scaling them down, and added bit of glossiness and depth to simulate rain effect, does it look worse? lol

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180414_144605.png

20 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

Tried scaling them down, and added bit of glossiness and depth to simulate rain effect, does it look worse? lol

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20180414_144605.png

Somewhere between actual wet bricks and nylon wrap :P

1 hour ago, dmg_64 said:

Okay so maybe it just doesn't work well with brick textures :D

You might want to tone down the roughness in some of the metal textures. Depending on the context the textures are used the player might interpret them differently due to the low res nature of the original.

Here is a post I made in a different thread you might find useful.

That's kind of a problem with these kinds of texture recreations.

The original textures are low-res enough that the brain has to fill in the missing information. This actually constitutes an advantage because the texture can be interpreted in different ways depending on the context. So if the player is a in a room with lots of concrete, he will fill in the missing information of the texture as "brown concrete" but if he is in a room full of brown metal then he will fill in the information as "brown metal"

However, this interpretative aspect is lost the higher-res the remade textures are. So, if the player sees this texture in a room with lots of metal, it might look strange if the texture is concrete. 

That is why I think it would be a good idea to supply the texture .WAD with multiple versions of the same texture.

This is a really cool effect, though I think the glossiness seems excessive in a lot of these screenshots, like a UAC janitor has just spent 1000 hours wiping down every surface with oil. A more subtle variation would probably look more convincing, I think!

Ah, the lighting finally feels more natural :) Incredible stuff indeed, can't wait to test this.

@Arl Damn son... thats.. beautiful.

Also @toshiaki2115 thanks for bringing some interest to my half assed GLE1M1 project.

Im seeing some weird graphical glitches here and there, and reflections of blue color is kind of passive compare to others but i think these are all normal at this state of gzdoom pbr release, im sure they will fix those.

I guess we are one more step closer to bring doom to reach modern graphics :p

Pictures with pbr

Spoiler

p9l5ZTH.png

DIRQvVy.png

kBrgurM.png

Pictures without pbr

Spoiler

TrH960e.png

ZPifLqE.png

6LzJJTH.png

Edited by xanrer

On 4/12/2018 at 12:29 AM, Arl said:

I tried to define a GLDEFS with no avail.

You mean you got all this working without defining GLDEFs?  So GZDoom automatically loads the materials maps if they're in the right folders and have the right names?  That's interesting.

Incidentally, we got GLDEFs working in Elementalism with this kind of format:

material texture ZRMARBG2 {
	normal materials/zoon-tex/ZRMARBG2_normal.png
	metallic materials/zoon-tex/ZRMARBG2_metallic.png
	roughness materials/zoon-tex/ZRMARBG2_rough.png
	ao materials/zoon-tex/ZRMARBG2_ao.png
	glossiness 25
}

On 4/14/2018 at 6:36 AM, hardcore_gamer said:

Interesting. I thought using mostly just dynamic lights for lightning would cripple performance.

Not at all actually.  I think if you used hundreds of overlapping lights it would eventually slow things down, but mostly it has very minimal effect on performance.

On 4/14/2018 at 6:47 AM, dmg_64 said:

This is a limitation of the basic Normal + Specular map approach.  It makes everything look kind of plasticy.  The full PBR approach (specifically the "roughness" map) goes a long way to improving the look of rough textures like bricks.   

What are the benefits if using gldefs instead of just putting the maps into the auto folder? I understand you get some extra control but does it matter most of the time?

2 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

What are the benefits if using gldefs instead of just putting the maps into the auto folder? I understand you get some extra control but does it matter most of the time?

I want to use gldefs to tell the material to use a texture by path instead of name, that way I can set one single normal/AO/metallic/roghness for all the textures that only have color changes, so I don't have a bunch of redundant images.

Besides that I think you can adjust some parameters, and since it allows you to define paths, you can have your own folder hierarchy.