Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arl

PBR and Parallax maps for vanilla Doom Textures.

8 hours ago, Crackers0106 said:

How do I install this and get it working?

Drag and drop the doomnormals pk3 file onto GZDoom application and enable lights to see the effect.

17 minutes ago, One Doomed Bunny said:

Drag and drop the doomnormals pk3 file onto GZDoom application and enable lights to see the effect.

Still looks the same.

Capture.PNG

xNSoM5Z.png

51 minutes ago, Crackers0106 said:

Still looks the same.

Capture.PNG

xNSoM5Z.png

Actually nvm, I figured it out by editing the .pk3 to use the downloaded materials folder's textures. You can only really tell if theres a dynamic light, but im wondering how to get the same affect as in the original image.

59 minutes ago, Crackers0106 said:

You can only really tell if theres a dynamic light

Yes. The entire point of PBR is to have textures react realistically to light sources. If you don't have a light source, your textures have nothing to react to.

Doom's original lighting method does not have light sources: sectors have an ambient light level and that's all. No sourcing for that ambient light.

1 hour ago, Crackers0106 said:

im wondering how to get the same affect as in the original image.

The map was edited to add point lights on the ceiling, at the position of the lamps on the ceiling texture.

14 hours ago, Gez said:

Yes. The entire point of PBR is to have textures react realistically to light sources. If you don't have a light source, your textures have nothing to react to.

Doom's original lighting method does not have light sources: sectors have an ambient light level and that's all. No sourcing for that ambient light.

The map was edited to add point lights on the ceiling, at the position of the lamps on the ceiling texture.

I also noticed that there is no roughness or ao in the text file inside the pk3.

How do I use these PBR textures?

Edit: Never mind, I know how to play this and other doom mods. :P

Edited by Apaul27

On 1/21/2019 at 12:52 AM, Apaul27 said:

How do I use these PBR textures?

Edit: Never mind, I know how to play this and other doom mods. :P

How do you get it to work? It's not in a PK3 or WAD file like other mods.

22 hours ago, Rex705 said:

How do you get it to work? It's not in a PK3 or WAD file like other mods.

I got it to work by downloading the materials.rar file from the OP, decompressed it, compressed the resulting "materials" folder into a zip (so when you open the zip file you get a "materials" folder with everything inside of it) and loaded that into GZDoom. GZDoom can read zip files just fine. Bear in mind that you need a map with lots of dynamic lights to appreciate the effect, normal maps won't look too impressive. There's a modified E1M1 with dynamic lights here in the thread which you can use to check the whole thing out.

I really like the low-res PBR examples. Looks kind of cool and in the right hands (ie more subtle) it can look amazing.

Any news on this? If not, you should post the last maps you did and then we finish it, because i would love to see the entirety of Doom 1 and 2 with this!

Bonus screenshot because i found the perfect spot to take it:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190409_142329.png.656cc8bf15f3cd0ec8a807efe45f094b.png

Hi there! 

Im really enjoying the PBR stuff, and i wanted ro know if you had any new updates? Also, ive noticed a strange effect of the combat shotgun becoming completly one color, depending on what light source hits it. Im using the Doom 4 Vanilla mod, and ive tried switching the mod around to brutal doom and project brutality, but i still get the same effect. Any fixes, advice, etc.? 

Thnx! 

Screenshot_2019-10-07-03-14-38.png

Screenshot_2019-10-07-03-14-45.png

Hi, I made a couple more textures but the thing is going slow. I Hoped that by showcasing a bit people would get interested in participating to complete the texture set but since it didn't happened I take the whole thing to a slow easy pace.

Regarding the problem, take a look at the files and see if there are files for the Shotgun sprite and delete them.

Hi, you're doing a great work. Since I'm using some cusom and HD textures for my game, your materials will not fit them. I'm willing to create PBR Materials for my HD Texture mod myself. Could you please tell me how you create them? With what software and perhaps, which settings/configuration do you use? I figured out that to use PBR materials for GZDoom you just have to include "Materials" folder in your mod with 4 folders inside: Ao, Metallic, Normalmaps and Roughness, each containing the auto folder inside with the textures. The PBR textures should have the same names as the textures they are applied to, yes? The brightmaps folder is optiaonal and just add brightmaps to the textures. That's how PBR Materials add light reftection in the game.
As for Parallax mapping, which adds additional relief to the textures, the rule is the same, only this time appropriate textures should be placed into Normalmaps, Displacement and Specular folders, and without "auto" folders inside.
I would be grateful if you could share your knowledge about PBR Textures and how to create them.

Can anyone give me detailed instructions on how to use the files provided?

DoomStuff.zip

DoomNormals.pk3

Materials.rar

i had it it before but i forgot and now i cant get it to work...

Does anyone know why my shotgun looks overexposed, but other weapons just look fine?

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200112_230819.png.80ef233ec6e6ef7df6833a22c55d464d.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200112_230827.png.4789855049337bc7ff8c8866ecad2b7b.png

Edit: Woops, this question had already been asked and answered.

Edited by Contmotore

31 minutes ago, Contmotore said:

Does anyone know why my shotgun looks overexposed, but other weapons just look fine?

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20200112_230819.png.80ef233ec6e6ef7df6833a22c55d464d.png

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20200112_230827.png.4789855049337bc7ff8c8866ecad2b7b.png

Edit: Woops, this question had already been asked and answered.

On 10/12/2019 at 7:17 PM, Arl said:

Regarding the problem, take a look at the files and see if there are files for the Shotgun sprite and delete them.

Removed the SHTGA0.png files, looks fine now.

48 minutes ago, Blackmore1014 said:

How it works? I read thread, load only "materials.pk3", dynamic lights ON, but nothing.

You need to load in lights.pk3 for dynamic lights to work.

23 minutes ago, Contmotore said:

You need to load in lights.pk3 for dynamic lights to work.

In menu with IWAD select? I enable lights and brightmaps. Nothing.

On 1/23/2020 at 4:08 AM, Blackmore1014 said:

In menu with IWAD select? I enable lights and brightmaps. Nothing.

can you try brutal doom 21. It contains dynamic light sources and its own brightmaps.pk3 and lights.pk3, so it will be easier to see the effect. You should also use doom 1 or ultimate doom as this mod doesn't cover doom 2 texture.

And how did you create the pk3 file? Did you compress the whole folder "materials" or its subfolders?

Hi! I'm a gamedev and 3D artist. I'd like to offer some help to complete this project, but I know very little about doom modding.

Let's say that I have some maps done, like the one shown in the OP (I'm attaching the original ones to be clear). What's the next step?

Also, it seems OP speaks spanish, so do I, so feel free to contact me in spanish.

image.png

On 9/7/2020 at 5:03 PM, amarillo.sebas said:

Hi! I'm a gamedev and 3D artist. I'd like to offer some help to complete this project, but I know very little about doom modding.

Let's say that I have some maps done, like the one shown in the OP (I'm attaching the original ones to be clear). What's the next step?

Also, it seems OP speaks spanish, so do I, so feel free to contact me in spanish.

image.png

Hey there!

My hope was that by presenting this concept of PBR for original pixelated texture people would jump in to help complete the textures, since there are a lot and I don't have too much time to do them all by myself.

The ideal way of collaborating in something like this would be to have a place where we can add the textures sets that are done, the ones that are WIP and the ones that ara vacant for whoever that wishes to take the task for that particular texture. That way the project can be also downloaded and used as it's getting developed.

Any ideas of what kind of page could offer that possiblities? github? google drive?