Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrogMaster

Question About Recording WADs?

I'm not sure if I'm posting this question in the correct section, but I'm just curious on what people would like to see.

This Summer, I would like to start recording playthroughs of various WADs from Doom, Heretic, Hexen, etc. However, I'm not sure how to format my videos when it comes to megawads. 

For example, imagine I have a 30 map megawad.

Should I:

1. Make a seperate video for all 30 maps and connect them in a playlist?

2. Make chunk videos that cover several maps, i.e. maps 1-10, 11-20, 21-30?

3. Power through the whole thing in one full video?

I would like to know what people are more willing to sit through and I assumed option 1 would be the best because then people can watch the megawad playthrough at their own pace. Any feedback and advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by fr0gm4st3R

@fr0gm4st3R

There's probably a fair amount of personal preference as to what people are willing to sit through and watch. @Suitepee and @mArt1And00m3r11339 could probably chime in with their thoughts on this.

I know Suitepee tends to do long streams (DMP and Ironmans and what not) that tend to be either option 2 or option 3. Those tend to be anywhere from 1 to 4+ hours, depending on the specific mapset. Speaking of the streams, there are clearly people watching them, judging by the running commentary (several of the viewers being members of these forums). Martiandoomer tends to record videos of single levels, although sometimes he mashes several levels together. His videos tend to be on the order to 10 minutes to over 1 hour (although he recently posted a video of a level he made that was over 6 hours long).

Something else you might want to think about is whether you will provide commentary while you're playing the levels. Suitepee, @xvertigox, and @HAK3180 tend to have running commentaries about the maps they're playing. Martiandoomer sometimes comments, but, from what I've seen, he's usually silent while playing.

I would say that it depends on the levels. For shorter levels, I may do videos that cover more than one. For longer levels, I would do a video for each one (for example, if a level takes 2 hours to finish). Whether you want to do commentaries or not is a matter of preference (though I usually do commentaries on levels that are easier to finish as opposed to difficult levels, but that is on the sometimes basis).

I'd say either #1 or #2 depending on the length of the levels.

7 hours ago, fr0gm4st3R said:

Should I:

1. Make a seperate video for all 30 maps and connect them in a playlist?

2.  Make chunk videos that cover several maps, i.e. maps 1-10, 11-20, 21-30?

3. Power through the whole thing in one full video?

1: If the levels in X megawad are usually quite lengthy, and/or you're willing to provide decent commentary/insight about each level individually in a "Let's Play" style approach, this may be the option for you. Will be quite time consuming though to some extent. (I used to do this myself with my old LP's of KDIZD, 1Monster, 100th Wave, Monochrome Mapping Project etc before I switched over to livestreaming...)

2: If the levels in X megawad are usually quite short and you feel you can get through several in one recording, this may be the option for you.

3: If it's quite a short megawad, sure. (e.g. Perditions's Gate) Otherwise, no. At this point you may want to consider livestreaming the process if you're planning on tackling an entire megawad in one go, depending on whether you want to provide occasional commentary or not.

Also feel free to livestream and then export the Twitch recordings to Youtube afterwards if you want try that out. (it's so handy!) Hope this has helped you in some way.

If you're doing a megawad playthrough with no commentary I'd set a soft time limit i.e 60 min and do maps 01-05 or however many you get done in that time. If you're doing commentary I'd probably do one map per video then chuck em in a playlist. I'm still super noob when it comes to YouTube but if you have questions I can try to help.