Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roofi

What makes the blue armor more resistant than the green one?

Hello , an another crucial question.

In fact , the two armors have the same size and they seem also to have the same weight because our hero can always run at lightspeed. The only visible difference is their color. But is the armor blue by chance or because it uses a specific blue material which is necessary in order to make a powerful and light armor at the same time? If yes , what is this material?

I suppose that the blue armor was conceived by UAC. But then when why the space marines only have a green armor whereas the blue armor is objectively better? Was it too much expensive to produce them massively? Or maybe they are used for the purpose of an emergency but the demonic invasion was too brutal so that our poor marines didn't have the time to wear those armors?

I need help.

It's most likely created from another material (or a mixture) which makes it more powerful than the regular one, and the said material(s) may very well be much more expensive which could be why they're much rarely seen and could not be produced en masse either, and might've also not been allowed for use for all marines, or only in worst case scenarios rather than the usual missions.

The visual difference could or could not be purely cosmetic to distinguish between them, or the result of multiple factors involved (such as the material(s) used).

Edited by Agent6

51 minutes ago, Zulk RS said:

Both the blue and the green armors are made from two isomers of a compound called "BasicArmorPickup".The Blue armor is more resistant because the structural arrangement of the Blue Armor has "Armor.SavePercent 50" written into it whereas the Green Armor has "Armor.SavePercent 33.335" written into its molecular arrangement. I had a diagrams of their molecules in my PhD research papers where I was studying ways to re-create the illusive Red Armor, but I lost those papers because I slept through every UAC armor design class and they were eaten by a dog while I was sleeping.

As for why marines only have Green armor, is because you need leg augmentations to be able to wear it. Why do you think agent Doomguy was the only marine to survive the invasions? He was given leg augmentations and experimental strength enhancing drugs (non-addictive. He isn't a junkie) were used on him. As a side-effect, he lost the ability to jump, crouch and look up or down for a few years.

This is gold.

1 hour ago, Roofi said:

they seem also to have the same weight because our hero can always run at lightspeed.

By this logic, a pistol, 2 shotguns, a minigun, a rocket launcher, a plasma rifle, a BFG9000, 100 shotgun shells, 100 rockets (each one the size of Doomguy's torso), 400 bullets and 600 cells weigh as much as one pistol with no ammo.

8 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

By this logic, a pistol, 2 shotguns, a minigun, a rocket launcher, a plasma rifle, a BFG9000, 100 shotgun shells, 100 rockets (each one the size of Doomguy's torso), 400 bullets and 600 cells weigh as much as one pistol with no ammo.

You also forgot a chainsaw.

OP question

What.?????

If we talk about material resistance, the blue armor depletes faster than the green one....if that makes sense...

^

I never noticed that before. Maybe because Blue Armor always start with 200 points whereas Green has 100. So 100 Blue armor depletes faster than 100 Green armor? Is it because the Blue armor absorbs more damage?

Also, can we really say it is less resistant because a Blue Armor has 200 points to begin with where a Green one has 100?

11 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

What.?????

If we talk about material resistance, the blue armor depletes faster than the green one....if that makes sense...

Blue armor depletes at the same rate as HP, given the 50% save percentage.  Since green armor depletes at roughly 33%, and you have 100 HP and Armor, you'll still be eating dirt with around 50 Armor left.

While blue armor depletes faster than green, it absorbs more shock, so the amount of it had to be adjusted to compensate.

@Roofi did a certain forum member hack your account and uses it for sockpuppeting now? ;-)

On topic:

Short answer: Who knows?

Long answer: How could anybody know this actually? It's a safe bet that the only reason the armours have a different colour is to make it such that you can tell them apart from one another so you know what you're picking up. Size is obviously the same, because it's the same person wearing it. The reason you don't get all blue armours is because they have different levels of mitigation, which is relevant for gamplay design, and also makes sense from a "realism POV", because different (military) forces have different "armours" for different purposes, and that's how it's been since medieval times and before that, actually. Also in a game that is about shooting demons and dodging stuff, messing with player movementspeeds depending on what they have in their inventory is not necessarily feasible, even though it might be interesting for speedrunning. Sometimes it's better not to focus too much on "logic" or "realism", especially not in this hella old game.

2 hours ago, Roofi said:

But is the armor blue by chance or because it uses a specific blue material which is necessary in order to make a powerful and light armor at the same time? If yes , what is this material?

Yes. It is made of blueium. The green armor is made of kevlar, as specified in the Doom novels.

7 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Sometimes it's better not to focus too much on "logic" or "realism", especially not in Doom

Fixed that for ya.

4 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

Yes. It is made of blueium. The green armor is made of kevlar, as specified in the Doom novels.

I never had the chance to read the Doom novels. Is blueium actually a thing in that? I honestly wouldn't be surprised since the Revenants wear T-shirts and pants.

8 minutes ago, Zulk RS said:

I never had the chance to read the Doom novels. Is blueium actually a thing in that? I honestly wouldn't be surprised since the Revenants wear T-shirts and pants.

No, I just made that up.

3 hours ago, Roofi said:

In fact , the two armors have the same size and they seem also to have the same weight because our hero can always run at lightspeed. The only visible difference is their color. But is the armor blue by chance or because it uses a specific blue material which is necessary in order to make a powerful and light armor at the same time? If yes , what is this material?

I suppose that the blue armor was conceived by UAC. But then when why the space marines only have a green armor whereas the blue armor is objectively better? Was it too much expensive to produce them massively? Or maybe they are used for the purpose of an emergency but the demonic invasion was too brutal so that our poor marines didn't have the time to wear those armors?

I need help.

I don't think this sort of inquiry is going to be fruitful in a game like Doom. Who the fuck would wear bright cobalt blue body armor anyway? Just roll with it.

It's painted blue to look kewl :D also it's stronger because it's probably out of space steel or some shit so it's better than the green one.

Hmph, for a little armor it sure does its job, even if not at the same degree as the blue one :v .

2 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

Who the fuck would wear bright cobalt blue body armor anyway?

Combined with some fitting pants and boots it might actually look interesting. Or completely dumb.

The blue armor is made of the same material as the glorious blue key, so it's only natural that it has good protection. The green armor is just the same blue armor that has been polluted with the horrid yellow key, and so its effectiveness has been reduced.

Because of the blutanium its made out of. Much more durable than green paint on cardboard!

1 hour ago, Zulk RS said:

And what about the red key?

The red key is a brilliant piece of hardware which contains demonic essence. Any weapon amplified by it turns into a small Unmaker, which is never seen in action :p .

9 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

Why do you think agent Doomguy was the only marine to survive the invasions? He was given leg augmentations and experimental strength enhancing drugs (non-addictive.

Uhh, I believe the canonical Doom Movie already explained that it was because he was pure of heart. Get ur sources straight, scrub.

10 hours ago, Roofi said:

I need help.

Doom is a video game.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Doom is a video game.

Duke Nukem 2D is a video game, Doom is the ultimate 3D immersive training simulator for when we are in the same scenario.

Blue armor is made from the blood and guts of cacodemons.