Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

Doom 2016 2(018) - Hell on E3?

Whether or not folks realize it, this is the hell on Earth time for us with E3.

This quote worries me.

Go D2TWID please
How with they make earth interesting and will captivate the modern gamers, while sticking to the series's roots? The scraped one sounded reallyyyy generic.

14 hours ago, Catpho said:

Go D2TWID please
How with they make earth interesting and will captivate the modern gamers, while sticking to the series's roots? The scraped one sounded reallyyyy generic.

Earth is so interesting, the original Doom used photos of it to make Phobos seem more exotic!

Edited by geo

If it's true, they better not make it arena-styled shooter as well. They need to learn from the mistakes of Doom 4 and make this sequel closer to Classic Doom, or change the name altogether!

38 minutes ago, Catpho said:

The problem with the scrapped version wasn't so much that it was set on earth, but rather that they went into a "story based" route with a lot of cues of other shooters such as Call of Duty or Battlefield

As for the rumors.....i think that people are taking that quote a bit too serious, i don't think we are gonna see a sequel soon, so im skeptic about this one

30 minutes ago, geo said:

Earth is so interesting, the original Doom used photos of it on Phobos to make it seem more exotic!

Welp yea, so we are going on a world tour in this sequel?

Wouldn't mind a Doom (2016) sequel taking place on earth, as long as the locations and gameplay mechanics aren't so repetitive, what I would really love to see is a better depiction of Hell on Earth than what was shown in the canceled Doom 4 footage, not quite sure how this can be handled though, I imagine it would look something like destroyed cities invaded by Hell creatures setting up hives across different locations, would allow for interesting gameplay and plenty of non-linearity if done right :) (and of course it doesn't have to be brown or grey, lol).

11 minutes ago, Catpho said:

Only if you win this arm wrestling match against my robot! bwa-ha-ha-ha!!!

Doom on Earth would end up being called Call of Doomy.

This is an opportunity to push the series forward while improving on the reboot's shortcomings; specifically, the Painkiller-esque locked arenas, occasionally perfunctory weapon upgrades, frequently linear design, overly cartoonish higher-tier baddies and the surprisingly tame take on Hell. In many ways, Doom '16 was a phenomenal experience, but there's always room for growth. Recently some early concept art was published, which I think was a superior take on Doom's aesthetic compared to what we got, so I'm hoping id will realize that taking more elements from the most horror-influenced Doom experiences—PSX and N64 Doom, and Doom 3—would be a great way to ensure a different but familiar experience for the sequel.

Whether or not folks realize it, this is the hell on Earth time for us with E3.

Uuuuhhhg... This statement is so haphazardly phrased and on the nose that there's no way in hell that they won't be mentioning something Doom related at E3. It may not necessarily be a full-on sequel, but it probably will be.

In the future, Pete Hines, write your 'subtle' hints beforehand as opposed to improvising them on the spot...

And for the love of god outsource the multiplayer to a developer who understands what made the original game's so great! I absolutely loved the campaign though, there's always room for improvement but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

Why have interesting and varied environments like on Earth when you could walk around inside falling apart bases on Mars for the third game in a row?

Thank you. 

11 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Am I one of the few who had a fantastic experience with MP, despite the loadouts?

No, I enjoyed it too.

2 hours ago, Catpho said:

Like the Duke Nukem 3D 20th anniversary brand new episode?

Have I missed something? Why are some people upset about the possibility of the sequel to Doom (2016) taking place on Earth? I understand the criticisms that people have about Doom (2016) one too many arenas, the game becoming too linear toward the end, and some parts of Hell being underwhelming. I get those criticisms and I agree with some of them, but what is the problem with the sequel taking place on Earth?

I don't see how it could be generic, it's not like a lot of sci-fi FPS take place on Earth being invaded by Hell. How is Earth not interesting? God knows what Earth would look like, we are talking about Earth hundreds of years in the future with major technological advancements, and they don't have to confine it to just cities like in Doom 2, they could go all over the world if the wanted to (not to mention new places in Hell to explore).

Edited by Eligos

I'm keen as for the Doom 2016 sequel and have zero problems with it being set on Earth.

Why have interesting and varied environments like on Earth when you could walk around inside falling apart bases on Mars for the third game in a row?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

p.s fuck DNWT, fuck that it "killed" Megaton and fuck the shitty weapon sounds

4 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Am I one of the few who had a fantastic experience with MP, despite the loadouts?

I too had a blast on the new Doom MP, i've played for quite some with a couple of friends, it got better when id oversaw all updates and released all the dlc for free, but sadly by that time my friends barely played it so i didn't got to enjoy it as much as i used too

New Doom MP always had a bad rep, but for what it was, it was fun to me despite the loadouts

Yeah, I think some forget that the MP was improved drastically. It kept getting better the more I stuck around.

2 hours ago, Eligos said:

but what is the problem with the sequel taking place on Earth?

Because it will be too similar to the first doom lore? Just my two cents about why people dislikes this option...

If it's true I'm really looking forward to it. Doom 2016 may not have been perfect but I love it nonetheless.

I just hope that the majority of time won't be spent on Earth, but neither on Mars bases because this is just getting tiresome, bring new locations to explore already. I expect plenty of exploration on Earth and yet, despite the formulation I'm not entirely sure this is what's going to be seen in the sequel, maybe he only put it this way so that people will not miss the obvious.

13 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Because it will be too similar to the first doom lore? Just my two cents about why people dislikes this option...

Or, in my case, because it risks becoming an aberration with an identity crisis, like the scrapped Doom 4 was, a generic military shooter with Doom tones.

It would seem to me that, considering how outlandish and organic the designs for futuristic architecture are, there's mass potential for interesting environments that are incredibly friendly to the parkour style of Doom '16. Imagine scaling the outer walls of this building, or even better, the interior. id figured out from their cancelled "Hell on Earth" attempt that convention is not the way to go. Outlandish, otherworldly structures to explore is what this franchise needs.

future.jpg

@GoatLord Awesome image! Thanks for sharing. If/when I have time I'll have to reverse-image-search that pic to find some more of it's style and/or the artist of created that.

I think it would be possible to have a mix of futuristic stuff like that picture and the conventional Earth like it appears today, remnants of something familiar in the environments would make it feel more like Earth as opposed to something merely Earth-like.

There's places near where I live where you can just tell that they've barely changed in the last 100 years, it's pretty neat and imo that blend of old and new might be interesting to explore. Portal 2 did something similar, and did it very well.

1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

There's places near where I live where you can just tell that they've barely changed in the last 100 years, it's pretty neat and imo that blend of old and new might be interesting to explore. Portal 2 did something similar, and did it very well.

This is true. Doom 2's city levels often feel very arcane. Sometimes when I'm in downtown Dallas, I'm reminded of Doom 2 when I pass by some of the older buildings, bricked and crumbling. There's definitely some room for an older feel, and the cancelled Doom 4 was definitely evoking this. The problem is that it didn't juxtapose it with any futurism.

21 hours ago, Eligos said:

Have I missed something? Why are some people upset about the possibility of the sequel to Doom (2016) taking place on Earth?

Because they've been listening to 'military shooter' fear mongers for so long that now they're convinced that because CoD and Battlefield are set on Earth then obviously Earth = bad and boring.

15 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

Because they've been listening to 'military shooter' fear mongers for so long that now they're convinced that because CoD and Battlefield are set on Earth then obviously Earth = bad and boring.

Convinced? No. And definitely not equivalent with bad or boring for me, and yet based on the footage of the scrapped Doom 4 it felt little more than a military shooter with Doom tones. If they improve everything that didn't work in the original trashed game it has all the chances to be an amazing title.