Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-Votterbin-

DOOM II teased for E3

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/doom-2-hell-on-earth-teased-for-e3-2018-1836254

“I couldn’t give you any guesses as to what we’re going to announce and when those games will be out. But I will say, we have a lot of new stuff to talk about at E3. Whether or not folks realise it, this is the hell on Earth time for us with E3. We are in the midst of so much planning and work for all of that content but I’m really excited,” he said in conversation with gaming blog Dual Shockers.

“I think we have a lot of stuff that folks are going to like. To my earlier comment, it’s going to be a big mix of stuff that’s all over the place. It’s not going to be like all [one] kind of game or genre. It’s going to be a lot of stuff in a lot of different areas and hopefully, there’s something in there for everybody.”

I hope they get the hype train rolling soon.

I would personally like to see Phobos/Deimos over Earth however.

Yeah that Hell on Earth got me too when I was reading this interview. But come on. It's not happening at this E3. It's too soon. I would lose my shit if it did happen though!  

1 hour ago, Enforcer said:

Yeah that Hell on Earth got me too when I was reading this interview. But come on. It's not happening at this E3. It's too soon. I would lose my shit if it did happen though!  

How is it too soon?  Game was released 2 and half years ago with no new campaign for it since.  I think the Old Blood was released just a year after the New Order.

I want to believe that phrasing wasn't a coincidence, Hell on Earth DOOM (new one) would be a dream come true for me. To be honest I've been pretty much betting on the sequel announcement this year, hope I'm right about it.

It's funny how people (on different sites as well) say that it's too soon. No it isn't. When you look at other successful AAA franchises, 3-4 years for a sequel is pretty standard. Somehow nobody questions that games like Wolf, The Evil Within, Shadow Warrior, Metro (etc) got their sequels 3 years later.

Also, I can't wait for them to call it DOOM2, just to mess with the names even more. Then they'll probably rename the original to DOOM2: Hell on Earth Classic or something.

I think it's a possibility that the game will be announced this year. Doom 4's development was rebooted in late 2012/early 2013, then the development of Doom (2016) began and was announced at E3 2014 and was shown behind closed doors at QuakeCon later that year. The first public showing of the game was E3 2015 about 2-years since the development of the reboot began.

It's been almost 2-years since the game was released. Unless they have been working on Quake Champions this whole time, id is do for an announcement of something soon. However, This theory only works if they are on a 3-year development cycle. We will just have to wait and see if it's at E3 (or get's leaked, whichever one comes first).

Edited by Eligos

Yes, DOOM4 (the final version) took 3 years and that includes writing a new renderer. Now they have the engine up and running and rock-solid. There's no reason this wouldn't be a three-year cycle. Of course that confirms nothing but the odds are pretty good, I think.

Im very skeptic about a new game announcement,  If anything is shown, i think all we're gonna get it's just a tease like how they did for the new colossus when it was announced at e3 with small text on a cmd screen.

Can't believe it's been nearly 3 years since the last game, timing would seem perfect for a 3 year development cycle, but considering how slow id develops it's games, that's why im a bit skeptic. Could be wrong since i've heard a lot of new blood came to the id crew after Carmack's departure. Who knows, well see at e3

It's been almost 2 years, we're speculating 3 years from DOOM4 to DOOM5, if D5 releases in 2019.

Worth noting that this is no longer the same id. The entire company has been severely restructured around 2012/2013 and this new team is super efficient. Again, the last iteration of DOOM4 took 3 years from start to finish. Bethesda will not let id work on something for 7 years after RAGE and DOOM4 1.0.

Either way, it's exciting. Fingers crossed for E3.

Sure would be great if halfway through the new Doom campaign you go through a portal that leads to some Quake 1 Cthulhu world type shit and they just fuse the two.

48 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

It's been almost 2 years, we're speculating 3 years from DOOM4 to DOOM5, if D5 releases in 2019.

Aw shit, you're right, i got my dates screwed since i keep having this idea that d16 was released really early into the year and that by the time of e3 it would have been 2 and a half years lol

Hope the new id crew manages to build games faster, since the old id only managed to release 1 game last decade, considering how much enjoyed d16, hope they knock it out of the park again,

17 minutes ago, DMPhobos said:

Aw shit, you're right, i got my dates screwed since i keep having this idea that d16 was released really early into the year and that by the time of e3 it would have been 2 and a half years lol

Hope the new id crew manages to build games faster, since the old id only managed to release 1 game last decade, considering how much enjoyed d16, hope they knock it out of the park again,

Actually, I kinda hoped there would be 2 or three Single Player DLCs released between each new game that would build upon and perfect that respective game.

So if Doom 4 came out in 2016 and Doom 5 comes out in 2018-19, there should have been a couple SP DLCs the size of Old Blood.

I don't know if anyone has posted this before but I just remembered it, so I thought I would put it here.

20180413134838_1.jpg.ed49f5be00a1e708d3a4a402451a2363.jpg

D193-Doom 1 1993

D294-Doom 2 1994

D304-Doom 3 2004

D416-Doom 4 2016

D500-Doom 5 ???? (2020 Perhaps?)

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

Actually, I kinda hoped there would be 2 or three Single Player DLCs released between each new game that would build upon and perfect that respective game.

I remember there was this rumor when the game was about to release that there was going to be a Knee Deep in the Dead single player DLC, sadly all DLC effort went for the multiplayer and funny enough it was released for free later

I was expecting an announcement this year. The (singleplayer) team didn't work a lot on post-release singleplayer content, so it's safe to assume they directly went on to work on the sequel after the release. With the framework already established, they could announce a new game this E3 and probably release it next year.

Maybe this time they'll actually show their gameplay being played by someone very good at the game instead of taking it super slow. I expect an improvement over the original, anyways. With a game like this, I can't imagine they can do much worse now that they have a clear and concise direction from the start.

Eh... they want overshadow good old Doom 2 with this title? I don't understand developers of modern games. They just bring old titles to new games, this is kind of spit to the old gamers. No Carmack, no Romero, it's just parasiting on old franchise.

All this ramble because of millennial goofies which can not exit from MAP27 first library room, 5 minutes to flipping 2nd switch many times and staring at those lift, instead of flip 1st switch. I saw it myself at twitch, that's kinda painfully to watch. Those kids are playing too much simplified modern games.

Also I'm just wondered if they release modern Plutonia, how it will looks like?

Edited by riderr3

6 hours ago, VertigoOne said:

I was expecting an announcement this year. The (singleplayer) team didn't work a lot on post-release singleplayer content, so it's safe to assume they directly went on to work on the sequel after the release. With the framework already established, they could announce a new game this E3 and probably release it next year.

Maybe this time they'll actually show their gameplay being played by someone very good at the game instead of taking it super slow. I expect an improvement over the original, anyways. With a game like this, I can't imagine they can do much worse now that they have a clear and concise direction from the start.

The problem with gameplay like this is it doesn't do a great job showing off the game and its mechanics and graphics. You don't have time to take everything in when the player is flipping the mouse so fast it practically gives you whiplash.

The original reveal wasn't great either (in fact I'm pretty confident they had a godmode failsafe since they kept getting to very low health, still getting hit, and not dying), but it did its job in showing the game off appropriately.

At the very least, you start off very slow, Doom 3-like, and eventually ramp up to killing 30 demons in a matter of seconds once you've given viewers enough time to see what the new content is.

9 hours ago, Eligos said:

D193-Doom 1 1993

D294-Doom 2 1994

D304-Doom 3 2004

D416-Doom 4 2016

D500-Doom 5 ???? (2020 Perhaps?)

Yeah, I remember that reference. But 00 doesn't really have anything to do 2020. It litereally says STATUS: UNKNOWN because at the time they didn't know if DOOM4 would be successful. :)

With that said, 2020 is also likely. I hope they announce it now with a 2019 release date... but there's also a very real possibility of an announcement in 2019 and the release in 2020.

10 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

So if Doom 4 came out in 2016 and Doom 5 comes out in 2018-19, there should have been a couple SP DLCs the size of Old Blood.

That's usually what happens. I talked about it somewhere else but the way that AAA studios do things is that they usually have one project in full-production and the other in pre-production + a team working on a DLC. That's because you don't need 200 people during the prototype stage. So with this cycle they constantly have something in the pipeline: they work on a DLC before the next project gets out of pre-production and once it does, a small team begins prototying something for the future.

While DOOM4 didn't have a SP DLC... it kind of did when you think about it: VFR. A spinoff made with existing assets.

8 hours ago, VertigoOne said:

I've seen that a while ago. That's super impressive to look at and it shows off how well everything works in DOOM4. I don't think you can get any better than this.

We'll see at E3, this is just a tease and an excerpt from an interview. 

32 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

@Touchdown 

It had new content in it?

VFR? I've only briefly looked at some playthroughs on YT and from what I've seen it's mostly the same areas (sections, not entire levels) from the late game (ARF, Lazarus, Necropolis, Titan's Realm) but there are some new additions too that actually look pretty cool like in this video around ~8min mark:

It's obviously heavily modified in terms of systems and gameplay to work within the VR space. It's not really enough to be worthy of a proper 'DLC' title but the main selling point is experiencing DOOM in VR so the expectations are a bit different.

I only hope they don't name it DOOM 2 Hell on Earth. That would be VERY confusing with DooM 2: Hell On Earth (The 1994 original). Also hope that DooM 5 is actually fun to play through :l

If I don't see a glorious descendent of Downtown in this game, I will be pissed off.

Maybe a Factory would be great too, but this time it could be closer to the real thing.

Or they will just make full tech bases and a plot of revenge against Hayden. LAME!!! And that's coming from someone that loves tech bases, but also city levels.

58 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

GIVE US MODDING TOOLS!

PLEASE!

I am not holding my breath.  But I  I would love this and more advanced SnapMap level editor.

As for VFR, has anyone figured out a way to run the game without the head set?  You can run it on a monitor and use a controller right?

2 minutes ago, Zemini said:

I am not holding my breath.  But I  I would love this and more advanced SnapMap level editor.

As for VFR, has anyone figured out a way to run the game without the head set?  You can run it on a monitor and use a controller right?

Nothing short of an SDK would be adequate.