Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-Votterbin-

DOOM II teased for E3

28 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

Also, it's interesting to see that people seem to be generally excited about it. I thought nobody cared about RAGE but there seem to be a lot of people that would be happy to get a sequel. Which is cool. RAGE is an underrated game. A lot of people didn't like it maybe because they had bigger expectations for it... 

I think the problem was Rage is id Softwares 4th (5th if you count Keen too) big franchise and compared to the enormous success if it's predecessors, Doom and Quake, it kind of failed. I say kind of because, according to Bethesda's Pete Hines, it still was an economic success and received generally positive reviews.

Reasons for a new Doom game: No singleplayer DLC for Doom 2016 and the huge success of Doom 2016.

Reasons for a new Rage game: The rumors mentioned above and creative diversity.

Reasons for a new Quake (1) game: Although it was a successful SP and MP game it was never revisited. Thinking about todays popularity of multiverses (DCs Flash, Bioshock franchise) and dimensions (Marvels MCU, especially Ant-Man and Infinity War) this could be the right time for a new Quake (1) game.

Rebellion worked with Bethesda in 2009 to finish the awful Rogue Warrior, which had been in development by another company.

I get the feeling that they are going to be what Raven were for Id. I'd love to see Id have a "little brother" again, although you could say Machine Games fits that spot too.

Hm, kinda torn on this one. Again, I'd prefer id to do DOOM5 right now but if there's gonna be RAGE 2 I'd rather have id do it rather than somebody else. Honestly, as far as Bethesda goes, I trust id and Arkane but other companies? Not so much. Especially because I know id can get the combat feel right like nobody else. RAGE was amazing in that regard and so was DOOM4. But I guess we'll find out tommorow what the heck is going on. I'm really excited now.

I wouldn't worry to much about Rebellion since I didn't know Machine Games before TNO either and they did an excellent job on their 2 (3) Wolfenstein games. To be honest: Zenimax/Bethesdas approach on project management and game design is better than id's or Activisions.

58 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

Hm, kinda torn on this one. Again, I'd prefer id to do DOOM5 right now but if there's gonna be RAGE 2 I'd rather have id do it rather than somebody else. Honestly, as far as Bethesda goes, I trust id and Arkane but other companies? Not so much. Especially because I know id can get the combat feel right like nobody else. RAGE was amazing in that regard and so was DOOM4. But I guess we'll find out tommorow what the heck is going on. I'm really excited now.

I just want Id to make nothing but Doom and Quake.

Maybe it's being developed by the id software frankfurt division? they opened another studio in germany not so long ago

While I haven't played much of what Rebellion has done for a long time, they'll always have a soft spot in my heart for 1999's AvP, which is still one of my favorite FPSs.

I'd be rather interested to see what they could do with a Rage sequel.

I don't mind the prospect of RAGE 2 being outsourced, but preferrably to a studio that, y'know, doesn't suck.

Edit: For what it's worth, the official RAGE twitter still says Texas. 

Edited by Marn

18 hours ago, Marn said:

I don't mind the prospect of RAGE 2 being outsourced, but preferrably to a studio that, y'know, doesn't suck.

Edit: For what it's worth, the official RAGE twitter still says Texas. 

It doesn´t! They changed it. I´m pretty sure now that id isn´t developing RAGE 2, or at least it´s not the only studio involved. Rumors are that they are just helping out Avalanche Studios, like they did for Wolf 2. We´re getting a DOOM II E3 reveal. Mark my words.

Edited by DaniVR99

6 hours ago, DaniVR99 said:

It doesn´t! They changed it. I´m pretty sure now that id isn´t developing RAGE 2, or at least it´s not the only studio involved. Rumors are that they are just helping out Avalanche Studios, like they did for Wolf 2. We´re getting a DOOM II E3 reveal. Mark my words.

Well it was confirmed today, so it's no longer a rumor. They are working on it with Avalanche. As for Doom II at E3, I doubt it given id's history of usually only working on one game at a time. Most likely we will just be seeing more of Rage 2 from them at E3 and nothing else. Same goes for Quakecon this year as well.

20180514_173050.jpg

Announce trailer for those who never leave the forum:

Fun trailer.

Edit: Better to go to this thread for this since that's where all the discussion is happening.

Edited by GuyMcBrofist

So the whole "this is hell on earth time for us" was just a bunch of bullshit?  I hope not but I know I will never let that comment go.  And if he is referring to the movie, then that would even be worse.

37 minutes ago, Zemini said:

So the whole "this is hell on earth time for us" was just a bunch of bullshit?  I hope not but I know I will never let that comment go.  And if he is referring to the movie, then that would even be worse.

Do we actually know what is meant by "id and Avalanche are working together" because it doesn't make sense for Avalanche to be brought in at all if the entire id studio is going to be tied up with this-- you wouldn't need to farm it out to another studio at all.

... Or actually, it could mean a deal like DOOM, where id does one aspect and the other parts of the game are farmed out to someone else [who fucks them up.]  Goddamn it.

Still, though, until I learn otherwise I'm (wishfully) thinking that it just means id is in more of an advisory/assistance role and will not have too much of their time wasted.

That is my speculation as well.

Maybe they will just announce Doom 2 and release late summer ... sometimes we do get those very short window releases.  But with the cult following Doom has, it really benefits from hype and tease.

I'd honestly be perfectly happy for an announcement this summer with a release early next year.  That wouldn't be too long between installments of an AAA series, though the lack of meaningful DLC does make it a little weirder.

I really don't think the Hell on Earth comment was meant to hint at a new Doom and instead was just an (coincidental) expression about their entire company's lead up to E3.

With RAGE 2 revealed I think it's safe to say DOOM5 won't be announced this year, especially that RAGE 2 comes out in 2019. I guess there is a very small possibility that id were only partially involved and worked on DOOM alongside RAGE but even if that's the case, I can't imagine both RAGE 2 and DOOM5 coming out the same year.

Again, there is a small chance but I wouldn't bet on it anymore.

2 hours ago, Touchdown said:

With RAGE 2 revealed I think it's safe to say DOOM5 won't be announced this year, especially that RAGE 2 comes out in 2019. I guess there is a very small possibility that id were only partially involved and worked on DOOM alongside RAGE but even if that's the case, I can't imagine both RAGE 2 and DOOM5 coming out the same year.

Sounds true and make me sad. I prefer much more Doom than rage.

Well I did hear on the Playstation blogcast that there won't be any hardware announcement this year. Totally off topic but figured I'd share :) 

It's possible a Doom expansion is announced. Add a monster and weapon or 2, make some Snapmap and Multiplayer tweaks and you got yourself a project capable of completion in a couple years.

When you think about it, Rage 2 can be the big announcement while other smaller projects is mentioned before it.

Where's no reason to made this game very long, because most of content is already in game, just add tons of new stuff, fix goddamn SnapMap, multiplayer and add new compaign for 6-8 hours like it was in original. Done! "Congratulations! You got Doom 2: Hell On Earth!"

RAGE is compelely outsourced, because Avalanche making another Mad Max game on their own engine. From id Software it's just some consultations, technical support and popular IP as it was with Quake 4, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Quake Champions and now with Rage 2. IMHO.

I still waiting for this goddamn Doom sequel at E3!

16 hours ago, Touchdown said:

Agreed.

We might see a Doom expansion of some sort, but that's the best one could hope for. Given what's going on recently, I doubt we're going to see Doom 5 before 2019 or 2020, and I'm ok with this.

Hopefully this is real. doom 2016 was a massive success it only makes sense for them to release doom 2. may not be this year. but it could be

Well, here I have some strong teasing from Pete Hines, that a new DOOM is certainly a possibility at E3. The fact that he replies to that tweet by basically telling him that Avalanche is in charge of RAGE 2 is very meaningful. Thoughts?

Captura de pantalla (21).png

Nope.

At this point I'll believe it when I see it.

According to Christofer Sundberg from Avalanche Studios Rage 2 will use "Apex - Avalanche Open-World Engine".

Source: 

I think this makes a Doom 2 announcement more likely again. For me it looks like id Software is helping Avalanche in game design and maybe even technical stuff - who knows whether id Software TX is working on Rage 2 at all. Maybe it's just their Frankfurt department.

By know all we know id Software is working on Quake Championship (which I doubt requires much manpower since it's basically in tweaking mode right now) and does some work on Rage 2. So there's still much manpower left for a Doom 2 project.

You guys really need to stop getting hyped about something that may not happen

If doom 5 gets revealed, cool, but don't set yourself up for dissappointment

3 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

You guys really need to stop getting hyped about something that may not happen

If doom 5 gets revealed, cool, but don't set yourself up for dissappointment

^^^^^^^