Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roofi

Do you sadistically enjoy watching streamers raging on your own maps?

Hello

I think that every mapper likes watching streamers who have a lot of fun on the wad they are testing. But do you sometimes like watching them be pissed of because of a ridiculously hard fight you set up on your map for instance? Would you enjoy to see their morale broken because they had fun on the mapset until your map? Or conversely , are you always frustrated when a streamer starts to complain on your map because he doesn't have fun on it?

Most streamers I've saw playing my levels on twitch ended not liking my maps at all haha I have fun watching, though, especially since it's a bit hard to someone play them. Still, it's always fustrating when someone doesn't like something you've created.

Overall, they end raging up a lot, which is usually fun and gives me a lot of laughters, but not always, because it depends of what he likes and how he reacts to stuff he doesn't. Some streamers will cry about difficulty even when they're playing on UV, others will ragequit the first time they see an archville, others will run in circles in a small non-linear map and miss a switch that wouldn't be hard to spot if they stopped for a second (or checked out auto-map) and others will simple shit on it and you'll have to deal with it. Still, in the end I guess I've learned a lot by seeing them play, and hopefully they won't rage (at least for the same reasons) if they get to play some future stuff by myself haha

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: I tend to build my stuff in a way that requires people to pay some attention to what's happening, however I don't think I "play unfair" (If I did that, which eventually I might, I'll give a warning to begin with). I test my gameplay to make sure stuff is doable to begin with, and I usually try to make sure to cut unnecessary fat (unless there's a deadline involved, in that case I might do that tweaking later). That being said, if people think my stuff is unfair, I can be sure that they don't understand how to do things and what's required. If their own shortcomings cause them to rage, then yes, I get a good kick out of that.

The only time my hot garbage has been on stream the streamer was just "eh" about them or, amusingly, miscredited the map to someone else, allegedly on purpose to give them praise instead of me (I don't think they like me).

I do however enjoy reading reviews that complain about high difficulty, all one of them, that one amuses me because of the extremely contrary notion of it being hard whilst being right next to one that said it was too easy, that makes me smile because it reminds me that humans are playing my bullshit and seeing completely different things.

if you enjoy watching people "rage" on stream there are plenty of career options as a daycare worker

if it's because they're being a dummy and then they realize their numerous mistakes afterwards, then yes

but if it's because they're playing like an idiot, breaking the map, and blaming you for their own actions, then that makes me   a n g e r y

If people were playing my harder maps and not paying attention, then yes. Even more so if they weren't savescumming on maps like Chapel of Chaos or Edgy. Mistakes can push you back a bit.

I feel bad when people are having major difficulties with my maps, like if I'm personally responsible for their suffering. I don't want to cause suffering.

I just want to see people have fun; I'm tired of watching folks rage at my maps because they tried a strategy that was objectively stupid and dug themselves into a hole they cannot climb out of, or because they keep trying the same dumb strategy over and over because luck might save them eventually. A bit of frustration, or downs, can lift the highs of victory, but when it gets to the point that somebody is clearly not having fun, I'd rather see them skip my map and play something else. It's good to know that I can build something which challenges many players, but when the challenge becomes frustrating you have to ask yourself as a mapper if tedium or another cause could be the underlying issue. 

I remember John Suitepee's stream of my JOM3 map. 

I still watch it from time to time.

I laughed when John Suitepee figured out the gimmick of Coffee Break E2M10 (the skeleton SS guards come back to life 30 seconds after they die) and immediately used the Tab+E cheat to skip the level.

I kinda hate watching people rage period. If I saw someone raging over my map, I would first determine whether they are raging due to a failure on my part, or just their own incompetence. If it's something I did that was unfair, I'd be inclined to change it. Otherwise, I'd be trying to (politely) offer hints and suggestions, or maybe just feel bad for them. :-\

Nah. I do think it's fun to watch people get angry at games, sometimes. It really depends what kind of angry they are, and for what reasons. It's a part of the human experience that is interesting/entertaining to watch sometimes.

When people play my maps, I don't really enjoy it if they're angry, because it's never what I'm going for. Sometimes I enjoy it in the way that I described above, but it's sorta peripheral to the disappointment of my map not connecting with them. I guess it depends on my mood. If I'm confident in my design and my map is doing to someone what I expected it to and it's making them angry or frustrated, sometimes I might feel kinda adversarial and take a stance like "you don't get it" or "you just don't have the necessary patience" or "why are you playing on UV then?" Sometimes I feel guilty, like I made it too hard or confusing or something. Most of the time, I'm just disappointed that my map didn't connect with them like I hoped it would.

I enjoyed watching 42PercentHealth dying 100 times in my SlaughterMAX map 'The Broken Machine' :)

Depends. I don't like treating people unfairly, so on tougher areas i mostly tend to balance things with the inclusion of more ammo, health or armor. But there is this sense of schadenfreude when you see them fail at certain parts of that stage, and it gives me this mischievous grin all the time.

Do note that I'm saying this from the Quake perspective, since I still haven't made a Doom wad that would make people rip out their cerebellum.

19 minutes ago, DanielAlexander said:

I enjoyed watching 42PercentHealth dying 100 times in my SlaughterMAX map 'The Broken Machine' :)

I do like watching people die, so long as they aren't raging about it. :-)

The short answer is no. Which is why I tend to suggest a lower difficulty setting to some streamers if I get the chance. It can be amusing in small doses, but not somebody raging for an hour, regardless of who's map they're playing.

Absolutely never.  I build maps for people to enjoy: I want them to get to the end and say "Damn that was brilliant!".  I never want people to feel genuine frustration with my maps.  Frustration with themselves if they mess up while playing, sure, but never with the map itself.  

If I watch a stream and see someone miss a completely obvious door and get lost, my thoughts aren't "What a dumbass" it's "I need to make that door more obvious".

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

Absolutely never.  I build maps for people to enjoy: I want them to get to the end and say "Damn that was brilliant!".  I never want people to feel genuine frustration with my maps.  Frustration with themselves if they mess up while playing, sure, but never with the map itself. 

Pretty much this.  I mean, I do enjoy seeing people die in my maps where it's the result of a trap catching them neatly, and stuff like that, but I want them to be having a good time while they buy it.  This is why masochists like @Steve D are handy (or he would be, if he streamed!) :)

And yeah, ultimately I want people to finish the map before it turns into a chore for them (though if they refuse to change difficulty settings then my patience for "it's too hard" is pretty thin - not that my stuff tends to be all that tough by community standards, anyway)

No. As I don't like being frustrated nor overly challenged in Doom I don't want others to feel the same for my maps. As a result I tend to make my wads easy and slowly increase in difficulty per level. Unfortunately to avid Doom players my wads feel boring at the start.

2 hours ago, Capellan said:

I do enjoy seeing people die in my maps where it's the result of a trap catching them neatly, and stuff like that, but I want them to be having a good time while they buy it.  This is why masochists like @Steve D are handy (or he would be, if he streamed!) :)

LOL!

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Streaming Steve, but you would enjoy the screams of pain you've earned from me over the years. Now I feel kinda guilty for depriving you of that. ;D

As for me, I want to see players die and die again . . . but have fun doing it. It was one of the highlights of my mapping career when Suitepee called me a "cunt" during his steam of Heat Miser. I counted about 38 deaths. He thought it was more like 60. But he liked it! That's what it's all about.

Speaking of Heat Miser . . . ;) 

Watching @TMD play my ASS19 map back in the day after hearing his reaction on Skype was well worth it.

My answer is if someone's not enjoying my map, that means I haven't made a fun enough map.

I am usually a calm person and I like it if everyone is happy (in Doom I am happy if someone enjoys my map).

*rubs hands with a disturbing look in his face*

Though sometimes I probably get slight pleasure from being a sadist.

Non-Doom example: I tell puns to my friends just to see their faces melt and I laugh my ass off at that case.

Doom example: If I place a trap in my map and I don't intend the player to make it out alive, then I suppose the death of the player, if he falls for it, puts a smile on my face (that is, if the player doesn't rage as much, but instead takes it lightly - it might be just one trap near the start, so I guess it won't be that rage inducing). Also, I don't want to overdo it with traps. Just one or two are fine, only if they are placed relatively close to the start of the map.

And if someone is dying because I didn't design an encounter well, then I feel guilty and I want to change it as fast as possible.

I watched someone play one of mine for about 10 minutes, dying several times and then calling it "pure trash, just a shit mapset" and then ragequit instead of playing on something other than UV. Kind of pissed me off, to be perfectly honest.

I've only ever gotten to witness full reactions on a stream once, but to answer the question, ohhhhhh yesssssssss.