Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

(Changed Topic) Should More Doom Engine Games Come To Console?

I decided to edit the whole topic. I sounded stupid before changing this, but I won't do it anymore. I'll think more carefully before posting next time. So about the new topic, do you think more Doom engine like Strife and such should be released on the Xbox 360 or Xbox One's store? It would be great for those that don't own PCs,  and they would be sweet additions to the Doom collection. =)

Edited by The-Heretic-Assassin : Sounded idiotic and didn't think well.

23 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Co-op was also done on consoles first (unless there's a PC shooter that has co-op made before Perfect Dark). 

Look at the forum you are posting on then.

34 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

FPS exclusive titles started with Goldeneye on the N64

Umm... ever play Zero Tolerance on the Sega Genesis? From 1994? Or Bloodshot from that same year?

35 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

Umm... ever play Zero Tolerance on the Sega Genesis? From 1994? Or Bloodshot from that same year?

No, sorry. I'll edit my post. Thank you for the information.

Wow, okay, there's a lot to unpack here.

First person shooters started out on a system that may or may not had been a PC. Maze Wars was the very first fps ever made.

Maze wars was designed on a computer. The Imlac PDS-1 in 1973 to be exact.

while PC players got Half-Life 2

Half-Life 2 was released on Xbox and Xbox 360 in the Orange Box.

After that it was Turok Dinosaur Hunter, another console-only fps.

Turok was released for Windows 95 a few months after its N64 release. It was remastered recently for PC and that remaster was recently released on Xbox One if I'm not mistaken. It was never a console-only FPS to begin with.

What PC fps has the most content with a map maker?

Is this a serious question? Do you know where you are?

which one has a multiplayer mode where you're playing single player missions with one player as the protagonist and other players are the enemy?

What fps on PC has over 100 characters to choose from in multiplayer?

Any first person shooters on PC with so many freaking weapons to choose from?

I would hardly call these amazing innovations. I wouldn't even call Nazi Zombies mode an amazing innovation regardless of who started it. All it is in the first place is a survival mode with a few tweaks.

Co-op was also done on consoles first (unless there's a PC shooter that has co-op made before Perfect Dark).

Yeah. It's called DOOM. From 1993. For MS-DOS.

Sadly, no more fps games are made only for consoles anymore.

Off the top of my head, Killzone, A number of the Halo games, and Resistance are all console only. I'm sure there are more. They may not be as abundant as they were in the 90's or 00's but they still pop up here and there.

I mean come on, I want to see a Strife clone made only for consoles.

Why? Why not just... play Strife? On your PC?

What happened?

Exclusives suck, most people don't like them, and companies like to maximize their profits instead of picking sides for petty fanboys who bought a particular piece of hardware over the other? What exactly was the point of this rant? I had to read it multiple times and all I'm getting from it is "I really, really like Timesplitters and want FPS locked off on specific hardware." ...for some unknown reason?

^^^^^^^

This.

FPS games are far better on computers than on consoles. They naturally play better using a mouse and keyboard, plus you're given far more freedom in terms of modding and designing custom levels. 

8 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

No, sorry. I'll edit my post. Thank you for the information.

I'm not sure if those are the first FPS games that were exclusive to a console or not.  They were just titles I'm familiar with, so they were off the top of my head.  Alien vs Predator for the Atari Jaguar, released in 1994, is another FPS game only on consoles.

If we go for other games that include FPS segments but aren't specifically of that genre, then there's always Phantasy Star on the Sega Master System (1987), That Friday the 13th game on NES (1989), Mobile Suit Z Gundam: Hot Scramble (NES, 1986)... I probably missed some.

53 minutes ago, Ajora said:

^^^^^^^

This.

FPS games are far better on computers than on consoles. They naturally play better using a mouse and keyboard, plus you're given far more freedom in terms of modding and designing custom levels. 

FPS games are great on both systems. I feel like I went too far with my post, but I thought on wanting to explain about it,

While I do love Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters, and Metroid Prime (if you count that), PC is my preferred platform for the FPS genre by far. I personally find the keyboard and mouse a much more comfortable and precise control scheme. Unless the console exclusive FPS happens to be exceptionally good, I'm most likely going to skip out on buying it entirely.

1 hour ago, CARRiON said:

Turok was released for Windows 95 a few months after its N64 release. It was remastered recently for PC and that remaster was recently released on Xbox One if I'm not mistaken. It was never a console-only FPS to begin with.

It drives me absolutely bonkers that people aren't aware of the original PC versions of particular N64 or PSX games, so when they get remastered or re-released with fixes for new PCs people think it is the first time that the particular game got a PC release.

Edited by Avoozl

The last three console-only FPS games I really enjoyed were Resistance: Fall of Man, Killzone 2, and Black. Otherwise, it's going to take a lot to get me interested to buying a game exclusive to consoles, FPS games more so since I am more comfortable with a Mouse+Keyboard setup than a gamepad.

10 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

See, console games were different, and that's ok. Split-screen for consoles while PC had online. Sadly, no more fps games are made only for consoles anymore.

I can only think of Serious Sam when it comes to split-screen support for PC games, not sure if there are others but PC can have split-screen, and I don't think split-screen is popping up too often on consoles nowadays. There's also a split-screen branch for Eternity.

As for there not being so many console-exclusive FPS games, well I can't exactly tell why would developers limit their platforms on one system when they can have it on multiple and go from there. Even then, I recall that Killzone went downhill since the second game and Resistance pretty much died as a series years ago, so some existing FPS console franchises or any incoming new ones (if there are any) aren't anything to go crazy over personally.

11 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

1 hour ago, CARRiON said:

Yeah. It's called DOOM. From 1993. For MS-DOS.

This cracked me up for some reason, holy crap

50 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

It drives me absolutely bonkers that people aren't aware of the original PC versions of particular N64 or PSX games, so when they get remastered or re-released with fixes for new PCs people think it is the first time that the particular game got a PC release.

I already knew there were PC versions of Turok before the enhanced version came in, but Turok was first released on the N64.

Edited by The-Heretic-Assassin : Had y in, "the".

TFW the Favitī Member's posts make more sense than you do.

48 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

Yeah, I used to own the PC versions of Turok 1 and 2.

Even after Goldeneye 64 showed that fps games can work on consoles, PC users still say mouse and keyboard is the way to go.

Goldeneye was a great game for its time and praised for many things. Its controls weren't among those things.

3 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

PC users still say mouse and keyboard is the way to go.

To which they are correct. 

a 1:1 port of Goldeneye to PC would be infinitely better simply because of the mouse and keyboard. OP seems to have this weird idea that the platform determines wether or not a game is good. What makes a game good is competent design, the platform is largely irrelevant to how fun a game itself is.

14 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

a 1:1 port of Goldeneye to PC would be infinitely better simply because of the mouse and keyboard. OP seems to have this weird idea that the platform determines wether or not a game is good. What makes a game good is competent design, the platform is largely irrelevant to how fun a game itself is.

That's not what I think, platforms don't determine games being good.

16 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

That's not what I think, platforms don't determine games being good.

They don't, but controls are an important part of a game. A Keyboard+Mouse setup is really the way to go for having precise and accurate controls in an FPS game. Also, he just said that platforms are irrelevant on determining how fun a game is, so I still don't see where you're getting at from here.

Some control methods are outright better for some genres of games. Shooters and M&K are a good example.

Like, try playing a console shooter without auto-aim and sights. Then play a shooter on the PC with the same restrictions. You'll find it easier to play them on the PC.

Shooters developed with consoles in mind often resort to mechanics to slow the gameplay down so that you can aim in peace. This not only gave rise to the 'evil' cover mechanics that plague shooters to this day, but also some of the best time-slowing mechanics in gaming (Eg. Vanquish). To my knowledge, even the new DooM has an auto-aim system to ensure fast-paced gameplay, since poor aiming is endemic to consoles.

The Mouse aspect of the M&K is probably the most important since you actively aim with it. Even classic Doom resorted to auto-aim to accommodate for the potential absence of the mouse (I am not too sure about this though).

Consoles restrict shooters by design. This restriction is not all bad since it can give rise to creative solutions to circumvent the lack of precision.

4 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Even after Goldeneye 64 showed that fps games can work on consoles, PC users still say mouse and keyboard is the way to go.

Just because it works, doesn't mean it's comfortable. Especially if you grew up with PC gaming and FPS on the PC first. Go back and play Goldeneye on an N64 with the N64 controller. That shit is clunky, slow, and wonky as hell. At the very least, modern controllers are somewhat comfortable, but the precision still sucks and games rely on methods like auto-aim and slower gameplay just to make it fair for the player.

Porting something like Strife to Xbox One probably wouldn't be that hard, but the real question is how many people would honestly care and buy it? Turok makes sense because it had a much wider audience, whereas Strife is a niche PC game at its very core, even a lot of PC gamers don't know about it.

35 minutes ago, SGS Man said:

Some control methods are outright better for some genres of games. Shooters and M&K are a good example.

Like, try playing a console shooter without auto-aim and sights. Then play a shooter on the PC with the same restrictions. You'll find it easier to play them on the PC.

Shooters developed with consoles in mind often resort to mechanics to slow the gameplay down so that you can aim in peace. This not only gave rise to the 'evil' cover mechanics that plague shooters to this day, but also some of the best time-slowing mechanics in gaming (Eg. Vanquish). To my knowledge, even the new DooM has an auto-aim system to ensure fast-paced gameplay, since poor aiming is endemic to consoles.

The Mouse aspect of the M&K is probably the most important since you actively aim with it. Even classic Doom resorted to auto-aim to accommodate for the potential absence of the mouse (I am not too sure about this though).

Consoles restrict shooters by design. This restriction is not all bad since it can give rise to creative solutions to circumvent the lack of precision.

Cover mechanics were the developer's decision, not because of consoles. I'm very good with a controller, so I don't have problems. First person shooters are great on both systems. :)

On 4/14/2018 at 3:56 PM, Doomkid said:

Not exactly 1:1, but Goldeneye: Source is probably the best bet.

Also, play Goldeneye with a mouse injector. 1000x better.

4 hours ago, R4L said:

Not exactly 1:1, but Goldeneye: Source is probably the best bet.

Also, play Goldeneye with a mouse injector. 1000x better.

Play Goldeneye X. It's the best remake of the game ever made. Better than Source.

18 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Play Goldeneye X. It's the best remake of the game ever made. Better than Source.

I have. But like others have said, the controls are ass, and that's coming from someone who played the shit out of Goldeneye when it first came out and many years after. It's great with a mouse injector but I still very much prefer 60 FPS and solid graphics on Goldeneye: Source lol.

Goldeneye X was supposed to be Goldeneye put on the Perfect Dark engine so it can make use of the multiplayer challenge mode with bots and other graphical elements that only Perfect Dark had such as blood decals on surfaces and reload animations for a few examples.

Honestly I enjoy Goldeneye, Goldeneye X, Perfect Dark and the Goldfinger TC on the mouse and keyboard enabled emulator a lot more than Goldeneye Source although vanilla Goldeneye itself is kind of boring to me now, also there was a special emulator that was set to play those games with 60 FPS along with a built in mouse and keyboard controls.

Perfect Dark is the one of those games which I love the most though, it is a darn shame that it never got a PC port, it's got such a large wealth of features as it is and IMHO it's the best of the N64 FPS games.

Edited by Avoozl

8 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

Goldeneye X was supposed to be Goldeneye put on the Perfect Dark engine so it can make use of the multiplayer challenge mode with bots and other graphical elements that only Perfect Dark had such as blood decals on surfaces and reload animations for a few examples.

Honestly I enjoy Goldeneye, Goldeneye X, Perfect Dark and the Goldfinger TC on the mouse and keyboard enabled emulator a lot more than Goldeneye Source although vanilla Goldeneye itself is kind of boring to me now, also that emulator actually was set to play those games with 60 FPS.

Perfect Dark is the one of those games which I love the most though, it is a darn shame that it never got a PC port, it's got such a large wealth of features as it is and IMHO it's the best of the N64 FPS games.

Rare wasn't a PC company.

Just now, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Rare wasn't a PC company.

Yes I am aware, I just wish the game could get a PC port.