Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

First/Second/Third gen Doomer?

I genuinely figured everyone here was either an old fart who played the games in the 1990s, or a 15 year old kid who joined three weeks ago thanks to Vinesauce!   :D

Personally my first exposure to the game was a free CD that came with our Pentium P90 in 1994 or so, that had the Shareware version of Doom on.  So I guess a first generation by the above definition.

First-generation player, third-generation mapper, zeroth-generation magic word...

If you launched Doom from DOS back in the day, you're 1st-gen.

If you don't know what DOS is, you're 3rd gen, at least :)

I started with shareware version 1.0 in early 1994, so I guess that makes me a first generation Doomer.

Started playing Doom in 2015. So I'm may be approximately third gen.

Although I got into classic Doom through classic Doom and nothing else. So am I approximately first gen?

13 minutes ago, SGS Man said:

Started playing Doom in 2015. So I'm may be approximately third gen.

Although I got into classic Doom through classic Doom and nothing else. So am I approximately first gen?

Of course, you are approximately third gen (late 2nd gen) baptized by first gen Doom.

The first DOOM I've ever played was the shareware of the original. Definitely before DOOM2 because I remember my dad telling me that he saw screenshots from it in some preview. Interestingly I haven't played the full version of DOOM until after DOOM2.

First Gen, I guess. Playing doom since late 1997/1998, i've posted some levels drafts of a doom maps / episode made in 1996 and that I post and lost in the depth of "post your doom pictures" pt 1 thread, so that means that I know that game from that year so... Still first gen i guess.

Also, how we can see of how doom generations are made?

Following the @Gerardo194 or the @Pegleg list?

I really got into doom and older fps games in general around 2013 but I've grown up with games like Chasm the rift and Half-Life. So i'm third gen.

Been playing Doom since it was released. So probably a first generation Doomer.

First briefly played it in 96/97 when i was 12 years old but never knew the name of game but i was blown away by graphics and idea at that time but lost it then...

rediscover and properly start playeing from 2006 ...

I was born in 1998, so I practically missed the '90s. My dad introduced me and my brother to Doom at a very early age (likely while I was still learning to speak coherently) so Doom has literally always been a major part of my life. For the longest time I only had access to Final Doom via Doom '95 before my dad installed a really crappy version of DOSBOX so that he could get his copies of Doom Shareware and Doom II playable (he never bothered trying to get them working in Doom '95 from what I remember). Eventually one of my cousins introduced me and my brother to ZDoom, and some time after that I started mapping with Doom Builder 2.

With that in mind, I'd say I'm a Second Generation Doomer and probably a Third Generation Mapper.

I posted a much more detailed version of this story in the thread that YukiRaven mentioned already.

22 hours ago, kb1 said:

If you launched Doom from DOS back in the day, you're 1st-gen.

If you don't know what DOS is, you're 3rd gen, at least :)

I guess I'm both, then:

1. I began playing DooM in the Spring of 1994, when Win95 was just a twinkle in Bill Gates' eyes. That would make me 1st Gen.

2. I'm old and mentally fragile now, and I've forgotten what MS DOS is. That makes me 3rd Gen at least.

On 4/14/2018 at 7:53 PM, ReX said:

I guess I'm both, then:

1. I began playing DooM in the Spring of 1994, when Win95 was just a twinkle in Bill Gates' eyes. That would make me 1st Gen.

2. I'm old and mentally fragile now, and I've forgotten what MS DOS is. That makes me 3rd Gen at least.

You and me both, my friend :)

So I started with Doom 3 on the original X Box in like 2005 or 2004 I think was the original release year. Pretty much I had done enough chores for my dad to earn going in to the local GameCrazy to get a new game. Doom 3 was brand new just in, and both the store employee and my dad convinced me Doom 3 was the way to go. I was kind of hesitant to choose it though, because for me it was the third in a series I'd never played, but then the guy explained to me that not only was 3 a reboot/remake, but if you got the special limited edition it came with Ultimate Doom and Doom II: Hell on Earth as well, and I was sold. My dad being the awesome dad he was, and an O.G. Doom fan himself, got it for me even though it meant paying an additional twenty dollars for the special edition, when I had only done enough work to earn a sixty dollar game. I took it home, put it in the good old X Box, and for the next 8 hours I was baptized in the hellish, adrenaline pumping, violent gore soaked glory that is the Doom series. It changed my life forever, and was a truly unforgettable moment in my early life which helped to rocket propel my insatiable hunger for action packed shooter gaming. 

It wasn't until I want to say 2008, maybe 2009, that I moved from sticking to just that Doom 3 collectors edition, which had the other two games still mind you, to actually installing Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, TNT+Plutonia, Doom 64, Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil on my newly constructed gaming PC and sinking even more hours of my mostly anti-social nerd/geek culture consumed life into blowing away demons in mass. This led to downloading countless wads/mods and what have you for even more hours of my life eaten away by the immortal beheamoth that is the Doom franchise. After this I did dabble just the tiniest bit in making some custom maps with Doom Builder, which were absolutely terrible by the way. Never got past the initial curiosity or more like fury inducing phase of custom map building honestly. 

For years very, very few games captured my absolute attention and gratification, nor elicited such a raw mixture of joy, adrenaline, excitement and entertainment like I experienced with my first foray into the world of Doom. I also grew increasingly doubtful that another Doom would come along with how stupidly and infuriatingly long Doom 4 was taking to even get a tiny bit of news about the game to see the light of day, let alone a full blown release. Then we started hearing about another reboot. Then we started seeing footage for said reboot. Soon I very cautiously began to anticipate it's release, even if I was a little doubtful and didn't want to get my hopes up. Then May 2016 finally came, and within fifteen to twenty minutes of playing Doom 2016 on my X Box One, all the feelings and experiences of that night in 2004 came rushing back, and I felt that mix of emotions again like it was only yesterday. Needless to say Doom has had a tremendous impact on myself, and has been a huge part of my life. I also tend to take things like video games, movies, books and comics very seriously on an emotional level because socializing and just other people in general have very rarely been very good for me. So I connect with these types of things on a level slightly deeper than mere entertainment or a hobby, and the Doom franchise sits very highly on the list of my interests that I most enjoy/appreciate. 

Edited by PvtHudson206

Well I started in 1999, whenever the hell that was. I had Doom95 for my copies, so I never experienced the original DOS versions until DOSBox.

If I can remember right, I started in 1998, playing on my cousins computer cause they had all dooms (Doom 1, 2 & Final Doom). Hard to remember that far back.

On 4/13/2018 at 10:16 AM, Gerardo194 said:

I started playing Doom in 2008 on Snes. I can say I'm second generation Doomer.

Why? Simply, the first Doom marks the first generation (1993-2004), Doom3 the second one (2004-2016) and Doom'16 the third one (2016-present)

This is the same distinction I've always made privately, though I was unaware others thought this way as well. It makes sense to view it this way, since each of these chronological marks are over a decade apart, and are thus wide enough to where a different generation of gamers could hypothetically hold any one of these three as their first Doom experience at a young age.

Anyway, I'm definitely a first gen Doomer, as my first experience was with Ultimate Doom and Doom II, in '96 or '97.  

First gen i guess. I started playing Doom in 1993, the shareware version at first. Later i found some disks in my fathers desk with the full version on it.

It was packed with ARJ and i had to figure out how to extract these ones. So yeah, learning by doing for a young boy...

17 hours ago, PvtHudson206 said:

So I started with Doom 3 on the original X Box in like 2005 or 2004 I think was the original release year

My dad being the awesome dad he was, and an O.G. Doom fan himself

So, second generation in more ways than one!

On 4/13/2018 at 10:45 AM, Woolie Wool said:

I've never heard of this distinction before and I don't understand the point beyond seniority pissing contests.

Lol seniority pissing contests are the first things I always think of when I think about Doomworld.

On 4/16/2018 at 10:06 PM, valkiriforce said:

I must be a first generation Doomer then because I remember clicking those cute little MS-DOS icons to launch the game.

xDjaqgQ.png

You're almost unquestionably first Gen if you remember these icons. That's some straight O.G. shit.

Interesting topic. I don't know where exactly I'd fit in with the generations. 

My first experience with Doom came from the red Super Nintendo cartridge back in the mid to late 90's. I was still young at the time and used to rent that game from the local video store. I eventually bought it years later to have as a memory of something from my childhood. (How did we all play this back in the day!? After playing on the PC, it's almost impossible to enjoy the SNES version again) 

After that, Doom 64 came out later on and it was my next experience with Doom. My family was quite poor and we didn't own a computer in the house until 1998-1999. We barely had any games on the N64, but we did have Doom 64 and I'll never forget the experience it gave me back then. I loved the horror atmosphere that was so different from the original game. During this time, a friend of mine who owned a Playstation had the PSX version of Doom and I had played it briefly and remember loving the cool colored lighting and how it had the same sound effects and ambient music like Doom 64 had. Back then from my experiences, I believed the PSX version impressed me the most. 

The first time I ever played Doom on PC was in 2003 when i acquired a desktop that I bought from a yardsale for only 15 dollars with my allowance money. It was a Windows machine still running Windows 95 and the reason it was sold so cheap was because the family had stripped the sound card out and other things. I ended up buying the Doom Collector's Edition set that I found at the same time for a cheap price (the digipak release that had the bonus disc with content for Doom 3). It had the Doom95 engine on it. For years, I played Doom with no sound card and with just the keyboard through Doom95. It wasn't until around 2008 when I got a new desktop did I finally experience Doom on the PC with sound. I strangely stuck with Doom95 until I learned there were other sourceports that made the game work better and also offered mouse support. To this day, I have no idea how I spent years playing Doom on the PC with just the keyboard only, let alone using Doom95 that had bugs and would crash often. I never came close to beating it back on my old desktop with no sound card, I mostly played it for fun. 

I also don't know where I would fit. I started playing when I was 5, but then I stopped after I finished Doom II. After 10 years, I started playing it again, and discovered the mod scenes where I created some levels. (and played some of the classics) But I stopped and after around 5 years I came back again lol

My parents used to play their fair share of Doom, Duke and Warcraft back when they got their first (and, for the time, expensive) computer. So much, in fact, that it strained their relationship back then and they're wary of dipping their toes in vidya again (besides, their interests have changed). So yeah, I think it's fair to say I'm second gen.