Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

My phone battery is screwed up

I don't know how else to word it. The other day I noticed my battery was staying at 100% for over 30 minutes which is just wrong. Restarted it and it immediately dropped to 99%.

Looked into it a little and saw my battery might need to be "calibrated" so I tried that. Left a 15 hour HD stream VOD running for over four hours and it finally died at 93% battery remaining WTF?

Plugged it back into power and it showed the big charging icon at 92% and first went down to 91% before charging. Left it to fully charge overnight and came to check it a while ago and it was 100% as expected but now it's just repeating the same shit staying stuck at 99%.

Plugged it back in and it kept charging past 100% for a solid 2 minutes.

Wtf is going on here?

My phone is:

- SAMSUNG Galaxy J3 2016

- Android Version 5.1.1

Also I should note the day before this started, I was greeted with an unclosable popup in Chrome and couldn't close it without tapping OK. I don't know how or why that would have done it but nevertheless thought I would disclose it. I ran several scans with Malwarebytes and they didn't turn up anything at all.

I'm clueless as to what I should do here. Phone seems to behave normally otherwise, nothing else suspicious.

I'm not sure what the Everything Else subsection of the Doomworld forums would be able to help you with that Samsung wouldn't be able to help with. Or forums dedicated to Samsung mobile devices.

I was hoping someone here would know something about batteries and Android battery meters but apparently not.

I have the same phone (since I don't have the money to get a better one atm and really wish that Android doom map editor project had gone through so I could map with it but sadly it never happened :( ) and fortunately I've never encountered that issue. The USB port broke about 5 months in however meaning I had to use my sister's phone to charge mine, which sucks. I guess those are the kind of prices you have to pay when you buy cheap ass phones...

Maybe try backing up your data and doing a factory reset (if the phone isn't rooted, if it is I would suggest unrooting then factory reset to lower the chances of a brick). When did you buy the phone? Because another issue could be that the battery is old and going bad (though I have had mine for over a year and the battery is perfectly fine still)

Posted (edited)

I don't know much either, but have you tried doing a reset? Or a new battery? Sounds like a virus. if you have to do a reset, make sure it's in safe mode, you can google how to,  Or hopefully someone who knows can help. Good luck!

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2018 at 3:15 AM, Nevander said:

I was hoping someone here would know something about batteries and Android battery meters but apparently not.

You can try booting into the phone's recovery and wiping the battery stats, and then doing a full discharge and recharge after. Usually Android recoveries have that option. Other than that, not much you can really do besides replacing the battery.

If you're running a custom recovery like TWRP, do a full backup first. Also, are you running a custom kernel? I remember back when I had an HTC Evo V I ran a custom kernel on it to get USB OTG support and some better CPU governors but it made my phone really unstable and ultimately killed my battery.

Edited by R4L