Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PeterMoro

GZDoom textures missing

Question

Just downloaded the latest GZdoom and ran my Pwad with it but some of the textures are missing - there's the checkered "no texture" graphic there instead. I know this is probably easily fixed but I've messed around and been online and in forums for over an hour and can't seem to find a fix. The textures appear fine when it test my map in GZDoomBuilder, which makes no sense because they get tested in GZdoom.   The textures missing are from Doom + Doom II. 

Thanks to anyone who can help solve this for me. 

7 answers to this question

In a nutshell you need to condense all of your assets into a single wad or PK3 using a tool such as SLADE. It might take a bit of fiddling and learning to get there but it's worth clicking about in the software and seeing what you can learn for yourself - hands-on learning is always the most effective in my opinion!

The two options is working in WAD format or working in PK3 format. Since you're modding for GZDoom I would encourage usage of the PK3 format.

The PK3 format is essentially a zip file. Before proceeding, read this - https://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement

Most of the information you need to create a PK3 and learn how it works is in that link.

Now, since you're using multiple texture packs, you'll need to open each of them in SLADE and open each of their respective TEXTURE1 lumps. You'll see a table of all the textures stored in the texture pack - usually including the Doom II textures as well. The easiest way to condense these is to export them as PNG's into your own PK3. To do that, select all of the textures, right click on them, then look for an "Export as PNG" option. Place this in the /textures directory of your PK3.

If you're able to avoid selecting any of the vanilla Doom II textures at this point, that's good. You'll need to remove them at some point, so if you can avoid adding them to your PK3 in the first place, that's the best idea.

If you need more help pop a message here, hopefully the above is enough to guide you in the right direction.

Your issue is that you're using BOTH Doom and Doom2. You need to use one or the other, then import the opposite game's respective textures into your wad. Personally I'd recommend building the map(s) for Doom 2, and then using the "Doom Textures for Doom II" texture pack found on the afterglow website. I've added a link below for your convenience.

https://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures/

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I've tried that and it didn't work and i now realise my error - i was mistaken about the textures. It wasn't the Doom / DoomII textures that were missing, it were the textures from a few different texture packs. Sounds noobish, i know but they are actually very similar to the D / D2 textures. Easy to mistake. 

So my next question would be: How do i create a Pwad that uses different texture packs that will run in GZDoom based off DOOM2.wad.....?

Thanks to anyone who can help me on this. 

4 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

In a nutshell you need to condense all of your assets into a single wad or PK3 using a tool such as SLADE. It might take a bit of fiddling and learning to get there but it's worth clicking about in the software and seeing what you can learn for yourself - hands-on learning is always the most effective in my opinion!

The two options is working in WAD format or working in PK3 format. Since you're modding for GZDoom I would encourage usage of the PK3 format.

The PK3 format is essentially a zip file. Before proceeding, read this - https://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement

Most of the information you need to create a PK3 and learn how it works is in that link.

Now, since you're using multiple texture packs, you'll need to open each of them in SLADE and open each of their respective TEXTURE1 lumps. You'll see a table of all the textures stored in the texture pack - usually including the Doom II textures as well. The easiest way to condense these is to export them as PNG's into your own PK3. To do that, select all of the textures, right click on them, then look for an "Export as PNG" option. Place this in the /textures directory of your PK3.

If you're able to avoid selecting any of the vanilla Doom II textures at this point, that's good. You'll need to remove them at some point, so if you can avoid adding them to your PK3 in the first place, that's the best idea.

If you need more help pop a message here, hopefully the above is enough to guide you in the right direction.

Really helpful answer, much obliged. I'll mess about with Slade and I'm sure I'll figure it out. Couldn't be that difficult. Cheers.