Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jupiter_ex

Sound effects used somewhere else

Yesterday I was watching the movie 'The Babadook', and at the very climax the atmosphere was broken (for me) when the monster uses several times the sound effect for the Sabreclaw enemy from Heretic.

Here's the scene, spoilers alert. The sfx is heard very clearly several times starting at this mark

https://youtu.be/vId0XXTWJRE?t=2m7s

And that reminded me to Men In Black 2 where, at the death of a bad guy the death sound from a Hellknight can clearly be heard:

https://youtu.be/68yyw6D79aU?t=1m55s

I know those were originally from a sound library, and few people who would remember sound effects from games from 1993/4, but they take out of the movie every time :P. Strange that they still use them, and completely unmodified.

If I remember more cases I'll post them

PK's high res sound effect wad page goes into detail about replacing some sounds using original source material. It's really quite interesting. Here's an excerpt about the chainsaw sound effect:

Chainsaw

I am pleased to say that all sounds are just about identical. You may recognize these chainsaw sounds from Army of Darkness and the Ogre in Quake. At first I didn't find the DSSAWHIT sound, but after some time I found a part of the chainsaw clip where it was slowing down after full speed, then reversed it - then the real DSSAWHIT was there!

The difficulty in making the chainsaw sounds was to cut them to correct start point. The DSSAWFUL and DSSAWHIT sounds are played very rapidly and this produce a certain sound which I wanted to be as close to the original as possible.

A lot of game sounds are used from generic sound libraries that movies also use. It's so cool when you hear a sound effect in movie that you've heard many times before in a game.

In the movie Prancer, Prancer sounded like a Doom imp dying. I seems to be popular for shows and movies to use the boss spit sound (where the IoS spits put a cube) for explosions.

ha, forgot that sound was used also in IoS shooting. It's really so widely used I could make a post about that sfx alone

Earliest one I remember was the door open/close sounds on the Rugrats episode "The Mega Diaper Babies" I think it was.

Well, there are countless boring examples that are simple coincidences. Here is something interesting however:

13 hours ago, Memfis said:

Here is something interesting however...

This seems to be pure gold

EDIT: I'm a sucker for experimental musical acts, and I've never heard of this before

The door sounds were used in an old south park episode. I think it was "cancelled," but it's been a while since I've seen it.

Im actually surprised how many movies using doom sfx in some way anyway I dont remember name of the movie but its from 2004-5 is    sci-fi themed movie with guy who active some teleports. there was a lot of doom sfx it was especially noticible when zombies show up.

"Where Boys Fear to Tread" by the Smashing Pumpkins has samples of the Rocket Launcher and explosion sound effects. I didn't notice them at first but Doom is credited in the liner notes.

20 hours ago, R4L said:

MF DOOM uses Doom sounds a lot on his albums as well.

I remember on the MM FOOD album there is a part with the doom shotgun sound and then a voice going "DOOOOOMMMMM!" Or something like that.

11 minutes ago, Grimosaur said:

I remember on the MM FOOD album there is a part with the doom shotgun sound and then a voice going "DOOOOOMMMMM!" Or something like that.

I believe that's on the Born Like This album, but i could be wrong. It's been a while since I've ran through his discography.

I'm playing through Dark Souls at the moment, and have noticed that a few enemies make some oddly familiar sounds, namely the shrub-like monsters in Darkroot Garden and the Chaos Bugs in Blighttown making fireball noises.

There's also a cat NPC in Darkroot Garden that occasionally emits the same sound as the zombies from Quake.