Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mintmag

So I've have been playing through some megawads

Despite the fact that I've been playing Doom for years I mostly just stuck with the vanilla experience. The game by itself has a lot of replay value as it is. That being said I wanted to try some megawads so I downloaded most of the 4/5 rated megawads from https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/ both the ports and straight up megawads.
Afterwards I then tried about 10 random levels from each wad to figure out what ones I like. 10 isn't much but I ended downloading 125 megawads. Most of which were from Doom 2.

So I'd mostly play the first 3 or so levels then use cheats to jump randomly around levels and episodes. Despite Doom 1 having much less megawads then Doom 2 for some reason I found myself enjoying them more. Maybe it's because they tend to ape the design of the official levels a lot more. 

What do you think? Also can someone please tell me what the ports section is for in the id archive.

Port section is used for wads that require sourceports. 90% of them are boom compatible, which are all top notch (check Ancient Aliens).

I always liked Doom 1 more than 2, and some megawads for it like DTWID blows others out of the water

@Mintmag I'm "Warming Up" like you, and I suggest you to play trough all the levels of DTWID. It's a great megawad, both gameplay and style are awesome.

Okay I tried a few of the levels DTWID and I'm sure I like ti :O I found myself getting lost a lot and the levels don't seem to resemble the design of the originals as some of the other megawads I've played

I like you only really played the official iwads up until two-three years ago. Like the others, I highly recommend DTWiD and D2TWiD. Memento Mori is another one I really enjoyed (Many authors who contributed to Memento Mori also contributed to TNT, the Casalis included)

since no one has linked it yet check out Doomworld's Top 100 WAD List, which contains the top 10 wads from 1994-2003, and the cacoward winners for each year after. Of course only some of them are megawads.

21 minutes ago, dpstatic said:

I like you only really played the official iwads up until two-three years ago. Like the others, I highly recommend DTWiD and D2TWiD. Memento Mori is another one I really enjoyed (Many authors who contributed to Memento Mori also contributed to TNT, the Casalis included)

since no one has linked it yet check out Doomworld's Top 100 WAD List, which contains the top 10 wads from 1994-2003, and the cacoward winners for each year after. Of course only some of them are megawads.

To add on to the variety, you should also check out:

Many of the Top 100 wads and Cacoward winners are on this list, but there are others there, too.

On 4/16/2018 at 9:20 AM, Mintmag said:

There were quite a few wads I tried that did that. Such as The Ultimate NMD Wonderful Doom and NJ Doomm What did you think of those?

Honestly, I haven't played those.