Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bifurcator

Doom Slayer Chronicles

34 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

I was going to download it. but after seeing Jimmys review, i've realized that this is a case of a new mapper, thinking he can make something nice because hes probably mapped for doom 2016 and snapmap. Fact is, if you put all the effort into graphics, then make a wave based shooter that is frankly so full of bugs its unplayable, its clear you dont konw how to map for doom.

And the funny thing about the graphics, is that the level design isn't even that amazing anyway. Don't get me wrong, it's still very decent. But if you stripped the levels of the fancy new PBR textures and just used the normal rendering method then the levels would look decent at best. Granted some of the tech levels look pretty cool, but the level design honestly isn't THAT much better than in most other level packs that have been made for zdoom. In a way I think this mod is mostly just proof that great rendering can massively enhance the look and feel of a level even if it's design is only decent.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the author has to say about the reception of his work so far lol, probably will just disappear.

1 minute ago, tempdecal.wad said:

I'm looking forward to hearing what the author has to say about the reception of his work so far lol, probably will just disappear.

People aren't tearing his mod into shreds. Most people here are admitting that the mod has it's strong points and I'm sure many people have enjoyed it. But the mod is also very flawed and people are merely pointing this out.

Agreed, I ran into pretty much the same problems Jimmy Pointed out, just want to say some of these issues could have been avoided if the author released a demo and didn't build all that hype for it to be let down later.

Thank you all for your interest in the project!
I continue my work by reading comments and suggestions.
There were shortcomings, which of course will be corrected.

Thanks for understanding!

4 hours ago, bifurcator said:

I dont think you really understand the implications here. You really dont. At this point, you would almost need to completely restart the project in order to recover it from this mess. You shouldn't even think about a new project before you address the obvious concerns on this one. Your project is full of bugs, glitches and for some people is completely unplayable. If this is a 'satisfactory' result to you then your future projects will suffer just as much, if not more than this one because you'll get more ambitious and make more mistakes.

3 hours ago, Phade102 said:

I dont think you really understand the implications here. You really dont. At this point, you would almost need to completely restart the project in order to recover it from this mess. You shouldn't even think about a new project before you address the obvious concerns on this one. Your project is full of bugs, glitches and for some people is completely unplayable. If this is a 'satisfactory' result to you then your future projects will suffer just as much, if not more than this one because you'll get more ambitious and make more mistakes.

Dude, he literally just said he's seen the complaints and is willing to take a look to try and fix the problems. Get off his back already.

1 hour ago, NPC_CO8ALT said:

Dude, he literally just said he's seen the complaints and is willing to take a look to try and fix the problems. Get off his back already.

I believe his point was that he can't merely "fix" these problems without remaking the entire mod. Which isn't false.

You can not please everyone at once

Рowever, I receive so much positive feedback that pathetic hater`s shocks in the back not even felt.
I am very grateful to everyone who made a specific bug report and try to implement them in the upcoming update.

27 minutes ago, bifurcator said:

You can not please everyone at once

Рowever, I receive so much positive feedback that pathetic hater`s shocks in the back not even felt.
I am very grateful to everyone who made a specific bug report and try to implement them in the upcoming update.

Cool, now i know you're an idiot! :D

45 minutes ago, elarmadillo3 said:

Cool, now i know you're an idiot! :D

10 hours ago, Phade102 said:

Because he didn't argue? Wut? To be honest, I imagine he has got alot of praise from the work, especially from the BD'ers. Its not the job of a dev to make sure it works for everyone these days. The Doom community is strangely anal about announcing compatibility as a whole, but like hell do most AAA devs bother with that, they give you specs and thats the end of it. But given this is made entirely to support a crazy-ass high end feature of GZDoom, its not like its ever going to work on DOS-Joe's laptop from 2006.

It's also not like he has to change the encounters just because a few people from DW are going 'but mah encounter design! Its not doom!', because that clearly wasn't the goal of the wad in the first place. Heck, by calling it 'The Doomslayer Chronicles', it is obviously, deliberately, a callback to D2016, and is going to have that type of arena gameplay. He has said he will look into the glitches, and if Jimmy's laundry list can be reduced, that is indeed the main thing. So yes, it does seem rather like you're both being asses.

1 minute ago, eharper256 said:

Because he didn't argue? Wut? To be honest, I imagine he has got alot of praise from the work, especially from the BD'ers. Its not the job of a dev to make sure it works for everyone these days. The Doom community is strangely anal about announcing compatibility as a whole, but like hell do most AAA devs bother with that, they give you specs and thats the end of it. But given this is made entirely to support a crazy-ass high end feature of GZDoom, its not like its ever going to work on DOS-Joe's laptop from 2006.

It's also not like he has to change the encounters just because a few people from DW are going 'but mah encounter design! Its not doom!', because that clearly wasn't the goal of the wad in the first place. Heck, by calling it 'The Doomslayer Chronicles', it is obviously, deliberately, a callback to D2016, and is going to have that type of arena gameplay. He has said he will look into the glitches, and if Jimmy's laundry list can be reduced, that is indeed the main thing. So yes, it does seem rather like you're both being asses.

Because he called people that are trying to tell him that his maps aren't so great "haters".

I admire really admire that fantastic mod!

It does have the the technical most impressive visuals I have seen on GZdoom yet. I am glad that there is a mod that shows the potential GZdoom does offer. I also appreciate the consistency in the artwork itself. The whole design, architecture and setup just fit together. Thats something hard to find in a mod.  There is nothing (IMHO)really  awkward here and it does has a lot of very cool visuals to offer. Like the hires Items, the ground fog etc. Gameplaywise it is what it is: A FPS that has its focus on wave-patterns (a bit like serious sam) and not so much on the classic level exploring we are used to.

I admit that this is not everyone cup of tea but it does what it does quite well and if someone is into that thing I am quite sure he will enjoy it a lot. Maybe that is the reason some people here (kind of) shred it to tears: It is not what one has expected: Its not the typical doom gameplay but still its a great accomplishment, just a "different" one! And after all: This is version 1.0. Thats the earliest version possible. Just let it develop and enhance a bit.

PS:

Dear author of Doomslayer, maybe there has been a bit -too much- hype about that mod in the first place and right now these (stellar) expectations are backlashing a bit... don't feel discouraged. It is a piece of art right now just needs a bit polish and cleanup :)

Edited by kyolung

17 hours ago, bifurcator said:

Thank you. My criticism comes purely because I know there's something pretty damn impressive nestled in this project. Please do keep us posted once you're positive you've got some of the most pressing issues fixed.

A number of the people in this thread really do not know how to properly give critique and actually are being quite pathetic and presumptuous. Don't let them get you down.

Creating DSC i definitely understand that reaction will be extremely ambiguously.
Combining 100% original author graphic content with modern mainstream mechanics, I was prepared in advance for the fact that extreme fans of the classics will remain dissatisfied.

However, I am happy with both positive and negative reviews.
Especially if they contain specific comments that can be corrected.

Thank you for understanding once again!

1 hour ago, bifurcator said:

Creating DSC i definitely understand that reaction will be extremely ambiguously.
Combining 100% original author graphic content with modern mainstream mechanics, I was prepared in advance for the fact that extreme fans of the classics will remain dissatisfied.

However, I am happy with both positive and negative reviews.
Especially if they contain specific comments that can be corrected.

Thank you for understanding once again!

Your willingness to listen and accept positive AND negative feedback already makes you a better modder than most i've seen. Good luck with any and all improvents you can make on this project.

4 hours ago, FraxGamer314 said:

If you say this WAD's gameplay is boring--then you must also hate Doom 2016,since by replacing Gore Nests with Mystic Skull the gameplay is litterally the same.

That's what I thought when playing it. Doom 2016 level design was boring too but the gunplay felt really good which made up for it (not entirely though imo) so I recommend playing DSC with a fun gameplay mod. BD, D4T, PB, Trailblazer, ect. and crank up the enemy count because this mod isn't about exploring but fighting and eyecandy.  

Though I still wish it would had classic level design, you can still have great gameplay while still having interesting levels, but ofc this also requires more time to design larger levels.   

I still wish the arenas had more gameplay elements though like the coluseum, that one was great.   

Also more performance options would be good too. The different pre-sets .bat files have no big performance difference as smaller texture resolution doesn't increase performance if you have enough vram eitherway.   

Sculldash had an option to disable realtime reflections, this should be an option because real time reflections are quite demanding and disabling all the dust and light effects could also greatly increase performance. 

Edited by Lampenpam

4 hours ago, FraxGamer314 said:

If you say this WAD's gameplay is boring--then you must also hate Doom 2016,since by replacing Gore Nests with Mystic Skull the gameplay is litterally the same.

Apples and oranges. Doom 2016 has complex AI that is designed for arena gameplay. Doom doesn't. So the gameplay is actually not the same at all.

12 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Doom 2016 has complex AI that is designed for arena gameplay.

Which is untrue. Arena-based gameplay does not mean complex AI. It has complex AI but there are frequent demonic lockdowns so that the game doesn't take a performance hit, making its gameplay actually similar to Classic Doom.

2 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Which is untrue. Arena-based gameplay does not mean complex AI. It has complex AI but there are frequent demonic lockdowns so that the game doesn't take a performance hit, making its gameplay actually similar to Classic Doom.

Demons in Doom 2016 have complex behaviors that allows them to make decisions on the fly in regards to what to do. The demons in Doom just mindlessly run towards the player in big hordes. This results in massively different gameplay. Doom 2016's complex AI allows for interesting fights in spite of the lockdowns. Doom's AI doesn't.

3 hours ago, bifurcator said:

Just wait another couple of days until people get more used to it (its behaviour, look and gameplay). I am quite certain that there will be a lot of praise, this one is going to be a classic :)

@hardcore_gamer to be fair, this mod was made with gameplay mods like brutal doom in mind. You should play it with that or with D4T/D4D if you think that the D4 ai makes such a big difference.   

The AI in these mods isn't all that different from the Classic experience, it's no where near the D4's AI that relentlessly chase you around the arena, to the point of jumping and climbing to your location, whereas in these mods they mostly remain on ground bouncing around.

As I've pointed out on the ZDoom forums, my biggest gripe with this mod is not the gameplay but the graphics. I simply think you should tune the filters down, there is no need for such an overabundance of them.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/319878754761703434/486220850601787392/Screenshot_Doom_20180902_053232.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/319878754761703434/486220854380855307/Screenshot_Doom_20180902_053244.png

These for example. It appears you're using some sort of film filter here, and the end results it that it looks extremely grainy and much worse than it otherwise would if you were not using filters in this case. A lot of the time, especially with bloom on, the weird fog and lights end up obstructing the view of the architecture and other visuals.

Sometimes, less is more. I think your project would look a lot better if it looked more natural and less plastic due to this overuse of filters.

@Dynamo That's why I like SC - looks awesome - spooky moving fog, best sky I've seen, hires sprites. Since april I have background on my desktop with this:

F55h9M57CxA.jpg

Just great composition!

1 hour ago, Teder said:

@Dynamo That's why I like SC - looks awesome - spooky moving fog, best sky I've seen, hires sprites. Since april I have background on my desktop with this:

F55h9M57CxA.jpg

Just great composition!

man, nothing more pleasant for myself, I have not seen on the Internet.

1 hour ago, Dynamo said:

As I've pointed out on the ZDoom forums, my biggest gripe with this mod is not the gameplay but the graphics. I simply think you should tune the filters down, there is no need for such an overabundance of them.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/319878754761703434/486220850601787392/Screenshot_Doom_20180902_053232.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/319878754761703434/486220854380855307/Screenshot_Doom_20180902_053244.png

These for example. It appears you're using some sort of film filter here, and the end results it that it looks extremely grainy and much worse than it otherwise would if you were not using filters in this case. A lot of the time, especially with bloom on, the weird fog and lights end up obstructing the view of the architecture and other visuals.

Sometimes, less is more. I think your project would look a lot better if it looked more natural and less plastic due to this overuse of filters.

there are Options->Doom Slayer Chronicles options->Film Grain

Doom Slayer Chronicles Update 1.1 is coming

Thank you so much for all your good and most importantly - bad reviews.
Your reaction helps us to see the DSC in the right light and make it better.
I try to be attentive to each opinion and especially to specific bug reports.
Soon will be released update 1.1 with the correction of the most important shortcomings of the project.
Stay in touch.

I don't know this has been discussed regarding to this mod.  Could you provide multiplayer (specifically cooperative mode) support for this?  I would like to give this one a shot with my brother and myself.  I have tried it on my own but I realize you couldn't resurrect without restarting the wave again.  I do not know this was meant to be as to play it without dying or such.  Also, I have tried this with Quake Championship mod and it crashed I think when I died the first time.  I also noticed that the D4D mod does not work with the recent GZDoom engine yet (no fault on you of course).  Otherwise, this is great graphic mod.  Thanks for releasing it finally.