Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bifurcator

Doom Slayer Chronicles

@mjf6866

Place BD into the folder where the .bat file is, edit the .bat and add "bd21rc1fix.pk3" at the end. Then execute the bat file.

You could also just check which bat files the .bat launches, and drag-n-drop those files on your usual gzdoom.exe, but with the bat file you can specify a load order which may be important.  

1 hour ago, mjf6866 said:

anyone have any luck getting brutal doom to work with this?  I have v21 but not sure how to link it with this.  i'm used to just dragging files and wads over to the gzdoom executable and running them that way.  but since this one has the batch files, i'm not sure what to do.

thanks

Can recommend setting up ZDL, it makes the whole modding thing much easier. If/when you've done that, the load order is DSC-1.0, DSCmaterialPack and then brutal doom (with the Doom 2 wad).

Otherwise, as per the instructions on ModDB, chuck doom2.wad and the brutal doom pk3 into the data folder, right click the desired BAT file (ultra if you have and want maximal power, obviously), click Edit, then append -file "bd21rc1fix.pk3" (or whatever your brutal doom file is called) to the end of the line. It worked when i tested it, at least.

Edit: ... What Lampenpam said, basically. :V

@mjf6866 hey! It works fine. Just put bd21rc1fix.pk3 to YourDirectory\gzdoom-bin-3-5-1-x64\DSC-1.0\data, than edit one of your favorite dsc.bat file and add -file "bd21rc1fix.pk3".

For example my dsc-ultra.bat looks inside like this:

data\gzdoom.exe -file "DSC-1.0.pk3" -file "DSCmaterialPack.pk3" -file "bd21rc1fix.pk3"

Screenshot_Doom_20180910_200205.jpg.f41ef1abd3a42a28c705b51c439c88c9.jpg

17 hours ago, Ermi said:

This is hilarious...

I was down voted and bashed on for my scrutiny towards this mod by saying it won't live up to its expectations. 

Now here we are...

Well, no, you were down-voted on your ModDB comment because you went on a weird tangent about how you'd made a mod that was even more technically advanced and people should pay you to make more.

On topic, I've played a bit of the mod, and my take is (other than the bugs) the only thing that really needs improving is the pacing.  There's just a lot of weighting around for waves to start, and the waves themselves aren't all that exhilarating to fight (at least in the bit I played).  There's a lot of potential here, so I'll be interested to see if v1.1 ups the pace a bit. 

On 9/8/2018 at 11:41 PM, Edward850 said:

This is DTS-T all over again.

I read through the DTS-T thread to see what happened, and was gutted to discover most of the really juicy stuff was farmed off into a Post Hell thread, that of course is now consigned to Post Hell Hell.  :(

50 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Well, no, you were down-voted on your ModDB comment because you went on a weird tangent about how you'd made a mod that was even more technically advanced and people should pay you to make more.

its obvious i was picking apart the comment he made in his article about the mod, but it was nice of you to point out the most irrelevant thing in my comment...

the point i was trying to bring across is how the developer was bragging about how graphically impressive his mod is (which it is) and then went on to say "trying to break the stereotypes"... and so on when in fact it turned out to be a generic mod itself so i responded with  "this is just another doom2 mod with fancy decorations. your not fooling me." are we on the same page now?

3 minutes ago, Ermi said:

its obvious i was picking apart the comment he made in his article about the mod, but it was nice of you to point out the most irrelevant thing in my comment...

the point i was trying to bring across is how the developer was bragging about how graphically impressive his mod is (which it is) and then went on to say "trying to break the stereotypes"... and so on when in fact it turned out to be a generic mod itself so i responded with  "this is just another doom2 mod with fancy decorations. your not fooling me." are we on the same page now?

So are you going to give some suggestions that could make this mod better or are you just gonna keep patting yourself on the back for not liking a thing?

2 hours ago, Teder said:

data\gzdoom.exe -file "DSC-1.0.pk3" -file "DSCmaterialPack.pk3" -file "bd21rc1fix.pk3"

To make things shorter, you can write .bat files just like this: 

data\gzdoom.exe -file DSC-1.0.pk3 DSCmaterialPack.pk3 bd21rc1fix.pk3

Makes it easier if you use and edit .bat files a lot to play mods. What's also handy is adding %* at the end of the line, so you can just drag-n-drop mods (if they are in the folder of the .bat) onto the .bat and it will execute the .bat with this droped mod in addition. 

@Lampenpam yes, I said to put this to the bat, not to shortcut :)

3 hours ago, Teder said:

For example my dsc-ultra.bat looks inside like this:

24 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

The mod author should have coded some kind of custom launcher or even just included that custom mod launcher that somebody made.

Uh what?  

9 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Uh what?  

When you make a complex mod that requires more than 1 single file and you want to make it easy to use with other mods a mod launcher/file organizer is useful.

5 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

When you make a complex mod that requires more than 1 single file and you want to make it easy to use with other mods a mod launcher/file organizer is useful.

Euh, at this point you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

This thread went from criticism to people arguing about the stuff they criticise about. Can we just have fun, like c'mon it's fuckin Doom, regardless if this mod changed some of its mechanics

Actually, I'm loving this mod. I agree that it has its bug, but it is still a version 1.0. I'm almost finishing it and I strongly suggest playing with PSXDoom sounds, it fits the atmosphere perfectly. Also I have the opinion that the graphics could potentially be used to other mods. It is one of the best usages of GZDoom power that I ever seen. I am using Reinhard tonemap and for me it is the best filter of all.

Downloaded this and futzed around with it for a while.  I very quickly discovered that I was in the camp that doesn't enjoy this genre of gameplay (more on this in a minute), but at the same time the eye candy was lovely enough that I turned on cheats and continued plodding through so I could see more of it.  The lore is also entertaining; I agree with whoever said it really needs a proofreader, but this goes for a lot of projects by non-native English speakers, and frankly for a number of projects by ostensible native speakers as well.

Obviously, the gameplay is the most polarizing aspect.  I agree with those who find it not to their taste, but I also agree with those who've pointed out that, as a matter of taste, it's somewhat pointless to argue.  There's nothing inherently bad about arena wave gameplay, after all-- some people will like it, some won't, and neither are "wrong".  A more interesting and potentially fruitful question to ask is whether this gameplay ends up working with the lovely graphics as well as it could.  Because, after all, a mod whose major selling point is environmental and architectural eye candy would seem to be best served by gameplay that promoted exploring and admiring those environments-- I'm thinking here of exploration fiestas like ZDCMP2 or TCotD: Apocalypse.  Instead, what we have is relatively simple arenas where the player's task is not to explore and look around, but rather to be distracted by grindy waves of enemies.  I think it's a valid and relatively objective criticism to question whether this is a maximally effective use of these resources. 

One other thing I want to mention is that, while most of the graphical enhancements are decently enough used, there is at least one level (second proper level of the first episode, I believe) where intense colored lights are overused and it hurts the overall effect.  It's harder to appreciate the hi-res textures and advanced surface effects when I have red and/or green colored lighting trying to burn my retinas off.  I don't know if you're familiar with or have an equivalent to the English saying "less is more", but it definitely applies here.

edit: I should mention that I've played, like, three or four maps in, so if there are later maps where the gameplay feels different, I'll reassess my evaluation when I get to them.

I made an account to say that I've really been enjoying this mod. It's clearly had a lot of work put into it and the levels drip with atmosphere. bifurcator, you've done some nice work and have an excellent attitude to criticism!

Things I like

• The lighting really shows off the potential of the engine and makes for some very atmospheric environments, beyond what I thought doable in doom.
  • Intensity based music is a great addition
  • Ammo and health seem to come at (what I found was) a balanced rate (at least on HMP)
  • Levels have some really intricate detail in their construction, as well as being quite varied
  • With Brutal doom installed, I get some good flashbacks to DOOM 2016

Criticisms

I won't talk about the gameplay being wave based vs encounter based. Obvious design choice and depends totally on the player's preference.

• Early waves are a little slow and things take a while to ramp up to a fun level. Colosseum was a whole bunch of fun once you got into the arena but the waves beforehand kinda dragged on. Maybe have early waves with less downtime or reduce the number of waves but put more monsters in the early ones.
  • I get a choppy framerate despite CPU and GPU being around 50% (2048x1080, standard settings, GTX-980, i5-4960). This might just be a case of fiddling here and there to get a stable 60, but a it's little harder to work out when the hardware hasn't maxed out.
  • Some minor polish bugs. (AI sometimes spawns in non-aggressive until they see you, flying monsters shoot upwards, the monster count isn't always reliable; I once had to spawn in some zombiemen because the final enemies were stuck behind a locked door)

Suggestions

• I don't know if it's possible, but specifying custom music to play instead?
  • Maybe some user settings to tweak how fast and powerful the waves come.

Again, awesome mod. You should be proud and I hope you continue to make stuff.

3 hours ago, metasurgeon said:

I don't know if it's possible, but specifying custom music to play instead?

You can only replace music files. But expand the musical repertoire - it's god dammit hard. Battle music attached to every wave in every level in game. And after every change compile all over again.

3 hours ago, metasurgeon said:

Maybe some user settings to tweak how fast and powerful the waves come.

ESC - Options - Doom Slayer Chronicles - Monster Spawn Factor. 5.0 value - just insane monsters amount (only for Guncaster or Russian Overkill). Also here player can enable Heroic Mode - disable Ranks with Perks system. For those who want challenge.

19 hours ago, Blackmore1014 said:

You can only replace music files. But expand the musical repertoire - it's god dammit hard. Battle music attached to every wave in every level in game. And after every change compile all over again.

ESC - Options - Doom Slayer Chronicles - Monster Spawn Factor. 5.0 value - just insane monsters amount (only for Guncaster or Russian Overkill). Also here player can enable Heroic Mode - disable Ranks with Perks system. For those who want challenge.

Ah, I had the feeling it might be one of those "near impossible" things.

Can't believe I missed those options though... Thanks!

Could you make a version with the standard Doom graphics please? Anyway, this seems like the perfect map set to play with any of the Doom 4 mods out there, like a total conversion. :D

Hi, I've been trying to get Brutal Doom to load with Doom Slayer Chronicles but can't get it to start with both.  I added the line to the .bat file and no matter what I do it won't add Brutal Dooms gameplay changes.  I've tried it without the asterisks at the beginning and ends of each set of text with a dash just at the beginning like someone mentioned earlier, but it doesn't work either.  It loads DSC proper just without Brutal Doom, and if I drag the Brutal Doom.pk3 over GZDoom it loads up with Brutal Doom by itself.  I tried re-extracting DSC and adding BDs .pk3 to the .bat again and it still won't load with both.  I don't know what else to do to get them working together, I'm at a loss.

Edit:  I fixed it, i figured closing the file auto-saved the changes given if I reopened it the added line was still there.  Forgot notepad++ did that so ignore my post.  Great fun though!

Gave this a go. Invasion-styled wads can be pretty fun (I love Stronghold), but this one was pretty boring to me. It seems the author put too much time into making it look pretty and didn't invest enough into making the gameplay varied enough. Shame.