Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Watch me Struggle: Attempting to use Old DOOM Map Editors!

^This is a man with good taste!

I appreciate all the further comments folks. DCK looks interesting from that screenshot, maybe I'll put my other stuff on the backburner and get to work on part 2 sooner rather than later. Cheers my friends.

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

^This is a man with good taste!

I appreciate all the further comments folks. DCK looks interesting from that screenshot, maybe I'll put my other stuff on the backburner and get to work on part 2 sooner rather than later. Cheers my friends.

oh yeah!

Any reason you use a handheld mic?

Are you making another video? If so, I would love to see SLADE's map editor in it!

Worf... Mugging for the camera. Someone tell that damn extra in the background to stop looking at the camera!

15 hours ago, Doomkid said:

maybe I'll put my other stuff on the backburner and get to work on part 2 sooner rather than later

Hope you could try to tackle DeepSea on the next part, i have fond memories of it even if i couldn't use it very well back then

This kinda makes me wish there was some kind of speedmap community project using some of the old editors just to see what people can do with them

^
You could start it right away in random weekend and see how it turns out. 

I used to use WADED in the 90's...  It was okay.  Doombuilder is leagues better though.
About 2 years ago I made a map in EDMAP on dosbox on my phone during breaks at a shitty job I had for a while.

I should see if I can find it...  It was a pain, but playable.

47 minutes ago, Revae said:

I used to use WADED in the 90's...  It was okay.  Doombuilder is leagues better though.
About 2 years ago I made a map in EDMAP on dosbox on my phone during breaks at a shitty job I had for a while.

I should see if I can find it...  It was a pain, but playable.

I'm rather impressed that you could make a map on your phone, EDMAP or not. I would be interested to see what people would say about it with that backstory.

I could only find an older version that lacked monsters, and had a few bugs (mis-keyed doors that made it unfinishable and such).  I patched it up, and put the monsters back in on my computer (i didn't remember the exact location or types, so...).

It used to be possible to get outside in one area, and a lot of the doors didn't look so stupid.  Dunno where that version got to.

Anyway.  This is it:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/r025go2z58tdap5/TEST10.WAD
Expect a lot of STARTAN and unaligned textures and such, and maybe not much fun.

Nice video, but i still wanna see someone trying to make a map using the methods before the days of editors. I'm really curious of how hard could it be.

1 hour ago, Revae said:

I could only find an older version that lacked monsters, and had a few bugs (mis-keyed doors that made it unfinishable and such).  I patched it up, and put the monsters back in on my computer (i didn't remember the exact location or types, so...).

It used to be possible to get outside in one area, and a lot of the doors didn't look so stupid.  Dunno where that version got to.

Anyway.  This is it:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/r025go2z58tdap5/TEST10.WAD
Expect a lot of STARTAN and unaligned textures and such, and maybe not much fun.

Hm, how touchscreen friendly would you say edmap is? I was think about downloading dosbox and DETH on my tablet and phone though they areretty cheap so I suspect they wouldn't run very well, it is worth a try though since that one Android map editor project fell through a looong time ago lol

16 minutes ago, therektafire said:

how touchscreen friendly would you say edmap is?

Not at all.  You probably (maybe) could pull it off, but I'm not sure dosbox has enough on-screen buttons available. My phone had physical buttons to assist.

If you have a bluetooth keyboard or mouse or some-such, it'll run just fine at least.  But it's a nightmare for a phone otherwise.

That map, as "1996_my_first_wad.wad" as it is, was the culmination of hours across days (across months) of fumbling with mispressed buttons, corrupted saves, and circuitous work flow.

Nice job, I myself give up with modern Wad builders, just cause I dont have the patience or self-esteem to finish something like that. Yet I just love the work that better people do in this. 

Just watched it. Cool video. 

I remember trying to make a Doom wad on my friend's PC back in 2004, but the program (can't remember which one) was too confusing and i just couldn't do it   : (

7 hours ago, Camahueto said:

Nice video, but i still wanna see someone trying to make a map using the methods before the days of editors. I'm really curious of how hard could it be.

Do you mean, the days before non-id folks started writing editing programs, i.e., DoomEd?

Or do you mean the methods that were used to make levels like ORIGWAD.WAD and CROSS.WAD, namely working in hex editors and/or writing C++ programs to generate the data structures necessary to make the levels, including building BSP trees by hand?