Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4shockblast

Beat/Fill '94 PWADs Month

didn't see it on the DSDA archives, so...

Pie.wad (Easy as...) UV-Max in 1:33

uv-max-walt-pie133.zip

i know that other people here will do better than this time...

Also ZZONE (not sure if this will be accepted since it claims to be for dm, but it's on the single player section)

UV Max in 1:54 uv-max-walt-zzone154.zip

Pacifist in 0:07 uv-pacifist-walt-zzone7.zip

all the demos are recorded with prboom-plus 2.5.1.3, cl 3

Edited by Walter confetti

9 rings of hell

e2m1 Pacifist in 0:00

e2m1 NM Pacifist in 0:00

e2m2 Pacifist in 0:01

e2m2 NM Pacifist in 0:01

e2m3 Pacifist in 0:01

e2m3 NM Pacifist in 0:01

e2m4 Pacifist in 0:01

e2m4 NM Pacifist in 0:01

e2m6 Pacifist in 0:02

e2m6 NM Pacifist in 0:02

e2m7 Pacifist in 0:02

e2m7 NM Pacifist in 0:02

9ringancdemos.zip

18 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

not sure if this will be accepted since it claims to be for dm, but it's on the single player section

Quite a lot of early wads were miscategorized in this way or vice versa - sometimes by error, but often because the author felt they would get more exposure that way. And it was also relatively common for maps that were intended as primarily for DM to have some monsters thrown into them - sometimes even a great many (for a variety of motivations). Or a wad might have had a mix of SP and DM maps.

I'd suggest that as long as a map isn't an obvious DM map that has, e.g., a single imp shoved it in for no reason, it is fair game.

22 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Also ZZONE (not sure if this will be accepted since it claims to be for dm, but it's on the single player section)

Yeah, if there's reasonable evidence that a wad is intended for SP as well as DM, then it's fine here.

Some notes:

• memphis.wad is in WADPAK3, where it already had a UV -fast and NM-Speed run
  • chris.wad is in WADPAK1A, where it had UV-Max and UV-Speed
  • hope.wad already had a UV-Max on DSDA
  • rot_e2m1 already had a UV-Max on DSDA
  • afro.wad was in WADPAK3, where it had an NM-Speed

Memphis again, only one demo is filling a category, which is Nightmare 100% Secrets, I am aware that Max and Fast has already been done.

E1M1 UV-Max in 4:59

E1M1 UV-Fast in 5:26

E1M1 Nightmare 100% Secrets in 2:53

memlmps.zip

The Bridge of Death (NM0001.WAD), part of WADPAK3 and takes the map slot E1M9, but only Fast and Nightmare-Speed categories were filled.

E1M1 UV-Max in 2:14

E1M1 UV-Speed in 0:43

E1M1 Nightmare 100% Secrets in 1:10

nmlmps.zip

Orpheus' Descent Into Hell, only a Max category for E1M1 filled on the DSDA page.

E1M1 Pacifist in 0:07.31

E1M1 UV-Fast in 1:29

E1M1 Nightmare-Speed in 0:07.46

E1M1 Nightmare 100% Secrets in 0:44

E1M2 UV-Speed in 0:52

E1M2 UV-Max in 1:44

E1M2 UV-Fast in 1:49

E1M2 Nightmare 100% Secrets in 0:58

orp1-2lmps.zip

Sorry to diverge here, but is it running Return to Wolfenstein seriously as simple as loading the wads? If that's the case, then what did its .deh file even do?

If it's played with any boom-compatible port, yeah i think it works fine without any type of installation... it needs installation only if you play it with vanilla doom

I was so sure the .deh did something important though, like, I don't know, adjusting monster HP or their attacks?

The deh file might be a hangover from the Doom(1) version of the wad. I did try loading it with dehacked (it's a binary patch - I used doom2 version 1.666 - the earliest version and the one that was current at the time) in order to save as a text deh file, but no data emerged. I noticed that the batch file (r2wolf.bat) included in the zip didn't do anything with dehacked (just deusf), so maybe nothing is needed from the deh file (or the authors hadn't done anything to convert it). Maybe the new monsters in Doom2 gave them everything they needed.

Then again, maybe I'm screwing up. Loading and converting binary deh patches isn't something I've done for a while, and it is a little fiddly and I might have forgotten something important. Still, the batch file's lack of anything dehacked-related does seem significant. And the wad plays reasonably sensibly as it is. And sorry for any confusion and for not mentioning any of this previosuly.

Edit: READIT.TXT states "The wad will run just fine without the dehacked patch".

Edit2: A bit more pissing about with old dehacked versions produced the attached text deh file. It just changes text.

WOLF-TXT.zip

Edited by Grazza

I've just gone back to what I thought at the time was an unsuccessful attempt to apply the patch to vanilla 1.666 due to the monsters still being the same, and I guess it really is just text strings. I thought I was missing out for so long because I had what are probably unreasonable expectations for a partial conversion from '94. At least I can still get an approximation of what I was expecting by loading the maps with Bratwurst.

allthedifference.png