Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4shockblast

Beat/Fill '94 PWADs Month

Whoops, didn't realize there was one!

Not sure if the runs are gonna be too different but I'll redo those demos real quick.

On 4/22/2018 at 6:45 AM, Zahid said:

freeblud

uv maxed

map 1 at 5m 33s

2 at 9m 13s

helipad

uvspeed and nm speed both at 8s

megawatt

uvmax at 6m 36s

moonbase

uvmax at 2m 37s

Notes:

• freeblud maps exist on DSDA individually as bludlust and freedom and were maxed
  • helipad has an NM-Speed (along with an NM100 and UV-Max)
  • megawatt was already maxed in this thread (and previously in WADPAK1A)
  • moonbase was also maxed in WADPAK1A

20 hours ago, Grazza said:

Mt. Doom by Jim Flynn:

No Stroller this time; Pacifist was enough of a pain to record as it was.

OK, not so hard in fact.

UV Stroller in 0:33 mtdos033.zip

Map06 of Return to Castle Wolfenstein (doom2 ver):

UV Speed in 0:46 r2c6-046.zip

Nightmare! Speed in 1:06 r2c6n106.zip (violent start, random end)

I really wanted to do Pacifist, which is clearly feasible (I got moderately close to the exit one time) and would look nice, but for now I'll try to preserve my sanity.

This map features a cool movie theatre area where you can change the film being shown, but there is no need to visit it in order to exit the map.

7 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Mick.wad 

E1M1 - UV-Max in 13:17.

I don't know what's up with this demo, but I can't seem to play it back. It also has an MBF header, so it must not be the right complevel.

5 hours ago, Grazza said:

for now I'll try to preserve my sanity

Yeah, right.

UV Pacifist in 1:24 r2c6p124.zip

I'd call this a difficult Pacifist, and I'd call myself a few choice things for persisting with it. The zip contains all the failed runs where I got moderately close to the exit.

8 hours ago, 4shockblast said:

I don't know what's up with this demo, but I can't seem to play it back. It also has an MBF header, so it must not be the right complevel.

Yeah you're right, I can't play it back either.

Darn, how do I fix this? re-record it? I haven't been using comp levels for doom 1, cause I thought they didn't have them haha.

2 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Yeah you're right, I can't play it back either.

Darn, how do I fix this? re-record it? I haven't been using comp levels for doom 1, cause I thought they didn't have them haha.

I guess you'd have to redo the demo, yeah. Doom 1 is complevel 3, please take care to record any Doom 1 demos with that complevel*. For demos recorded up to this point, I won't take away points, though.

* There are some exceptions of wads that are run with complevel 0 (v1.2) or complevel 2 (Doom 2), but they're rare.

24 minutes ago, 4shockblast said:

I guess you'd have to redo the demo, yeah. Doom 1 is complevel 3, please take care to record any Doom 1 demos with that complevel*. For demos recorded up to this point, I won't take away points, though.

* There are some exceptions of wads that are run with complevel 0 (v1.2) or complevel 2 (Doom 2), but they're rare.

Ok, thank you very much.

I re-recorded the demo with the correct complevel and it should work now.

Can't resist the '94 PWAD allure.

choppas.wad (Chainsaws-a-go-go.) UV-Max in 0:36. (Also Tyson)

UV -fast in 0:28.

Pacifist in 0:02.97.

NM-Speed in 0:02.94. (Also Pacifist)

Stroller in 0:06.91.

Previously maxed by Michael Novikov; the other categories are fillers, though. Anyone want to fill -respawn for the ultimate meme? ;)

chop_shock.zip

Ah, well I checked the room all over I must of crossed that linedef too fast to trigger the teleport

I'll re-record the UV-Max then.

17 hours ago, therektafire said:

Oh crap I have recorded all my demos so far with complevel 2 :o luckily I have only been playing doom 2 maps so far

There is an argument for using -complevel 0 or 1 for maps made in 1994, as these are the behaviours (1.2 and 1.666) for which the maps were designed/tested. However, -complevel 2 is more or less identical to -complevel 1 (I don't know of any instances where any differences cause a desync). -complevel 0 makes the demons actually hitscan enemies, counts lost souls as kills and changes a few other things. AFAIK, no ports emulate Doom 1.1 or earlier, but I also know of no maps that specifically require that behaviour. (Detailed info is here, but for demo purposes, 1.2, 1.666 and 1.9 are the ones that matter.)

Using -complevel 3 (Ultimate Doom) is of course the normal convention for Doom(1) maps, but note that Ultimate Doom was only introduced in 1995, and can break some maps, generally ExM8 where:

1) Cyberdemons are used on E1M8 or E3M8;

2) Spider Masterminds are used on E1M8 or E2M8; or

3) Dehacked changes lead effectively to one of the above-mentioned cases.

In case anyone wants to try Aliens TC (which would be an obvious one for this month, as it is one of the all-time most famous wads and is oddly under-demoed - I only know of this offhand), then they need to be careful in this respect. It might be simplest/safest to use one of the later versions modified for modern ports (I guess this should be OK, as long as the maps themselves haven't been altered).

Edited by Grazza

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

There is an argument for using -complevel 0 or 1 for maps made in 1994, as these are the behaviours (1.2 and 1.666) for which the maps were designed/tested. However, -complevel 2 is more or less identical to -complevel 1 (I don't know of any instances where any differences cause a desync). -complevel 0 makes the demons actually hitscan enemies, counts lost souls as kills and changes a few other things. AFAIK, no ports emulate Doom 1.1 or earlier, but I also know of no maps that specifically require that behaviour. (Detailed info is here, but for demo purposes, 1.2, 1.666 and 1.9 are the ones that matter.)

Using -complevel 3 (Ultimate Doom) is of course the normal convention for Doom(1) maps, but note that Ultimate Doom was only introduced in 1995, and can break some maps, generally ExM8 where:

1) Cyberdemons are used on E1M8 or E3M8;

2) Spider Masterminds are used on E1M8 or E2M8; or

3) Dehacked changes lead effectively to one of the above-mentioned cases.

In case anyone wants to try Aliens TC (which would be an obvious one for this month, as it is one of the all-time most famous wads and is oddly under-demoed - I only know of this offhand), then they need to be careful in this respect. It might be simplest/safest to use one of the later versions modified for modern ports (I guess this should be OK, as long as the maps themselves haven't been altered).

Yeah, it's hard to say; theoretically, those maps weren't designed for v1.9, but I think v1.9 is more of a universal standard for demos in the Doom community; there's no reason IWAD maps recorded with previous Doom versions wouldn't qualify for records, for instance, other than convention (I think many other games allow any official versions for record purposes).

Regarding later repackaged versions of '94 wads modified for source ports, yeah, I think it's fine if the maps were unchanged and core gameplay was unchanged. That's what I did for The Quest for Necronomicon, where I used Maes' fixed version instead of the original (also a wad that's open for demo recordings for this thread, if anyone wants to play it for some reason).

zzone

uv maxed at 54

village

at 9m 40s

thanks to that Anonymous reviewer who mention the way to grab red key,which is to use  DOOM v1.2 or earlier

and Grazza who above describe that complevel 0 emulate the behavior of v1.2 so i able to max this map

and lost souls really counts a monster here and demon's bite drew a visible splash of blood out of player

Demos.zip

34 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

I already done that, I think.

You did! Whoops. I didn't check the thread. Here's another, so I can claim my one point:

AWAYTEAM

UV Pacifist in 20s

AWAYTEAMp20.zip

UV Max in 5:25 (no points, but I did it, so here it is!)

AWAYTEAM-525.zip

20 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

You did! Whoops. I didn't check the thread. Here's another, so I can claim my one point:

AWAYTEAM

UV Pacifist in 20s

AWAYTEAMp20.zip

UV Max in 5:25 (no points, but I did it, so here it is!)

AWAYTEAM-525.zip

That's alright man, sorry to burst your bubble :P

KSWOOD

E1M1 - UV-Max in 13:30.

Annoying map, annoying music.... ANNOYING full stop. Attempted UV-Speed but it's just the same slaughter fest as UV-Max.

kswood.zip

10 hours ago, 4shockblast said:

I think v1.9 is more of a universal standard for demos in the Doom community

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but it is worth clarifying that "1.9" can refer to at least three different versions (with nothing in the demo header to tell them apart):

(Registered) Doom.exe 1.9 = Doom2.exe 1.9 (-complevel 2, but compat-wise essentially the same as -complevel 1 = Doom.exe 1.666 = Doom2.exe 1.666)

Ultimate Doom = Doom95 (-complevel 3); alters lost soul and tag 666/bossdeath behaviour

Final Doom (-complevel 4); like Ultimate but adds a teleporter bug

Anyway, here's a messy Respawn:

UV Respawn in 2:02 r2c6r202.zip

SUNGOD.WAD

UV Max in 9:22 (two secrets are skipped)

sung-922.zip

This level gave me a lot of trouble, either I died in the first 10 seconds or I find out an enemy got lost somewhere after 10 minutes.