Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4shockblast

Beat/Fill '94 PWADs Month

3 hours ago, elmle said:

SUNGOD.WAD

UV Max in 9:22 (two secrets are skipped)

sung-922.zip

This level gave me a lot of trouble, either I died in the first 10 seconds or I find out an enemy got lost somewhere after 10 minutes.

This route is sensational, I completely discarded what you did in the first two minutes. Then it's getting rocket launcher and BFG very, very late, is it really the fastest way? Looks like maybe it is as the time is very good and the level is a pain to max indeed.

@vdgg I'm no expert on routing so there's probably a better way to do it, this was just the first one that came to mind(that evolved slightly after some attempts).

This was the least amount of backtracking I could think of besides getting the secret behind the cyberdemon, which I wouldn't wanna do late in the map since you only get one attempt at getting on top of that switch.

I got the BFG late because there aren't many places where it could be used effectively and you need to press the switch in the room with the red bricks to access it, I also picked up every single cell in the map and ended with 18.

As for the rocket launcher, you could get it earlier but most areas are quite small and there is limited ammo.

I accidentally missed 2 rocket packs next to the blue key that would have helped a bit with the barons at the end.

Another thing you could do is skip the yellow key at the start and get that when you're heading for the exit.

Basically I didn't think too much about the route before doing the run, now I have dissected it and I see some possibilites.

I think I've had enough of the map for now though.

On 4/25/2018 at 7:09 PM, Zahid said:

zzone

uv maxed at 54

village

at 9m 40s

Village was actually maxed in WADPAK2 by Never_Again, and zzone previously in this thread.

Good to see a demo from @Ryback, though I don't know how to count a four-year old filler that wasn't posted for a map filled in this thread in an earlier post. :D

SHINOBI.WAD, but I don't see any Japanese theming here from what I know. I should note, 1 monster, which is an Imp, is placed outside the boundaries of the map so 100% Kills is not possible here.

E1M1 UV-Speed in 0:42

E1M1 UV-Max in 2:53

E1M1 UV-Fast in 3:13

E1M1 Nightmare-Speed in 1:21

shinlmps.zip

A little bit of a demo dump.

EARTHWAD.WAD

UV Speed 1:47

UV Max in 5:32

PUMPKIN.WAD

UV Speed in 0:25

UV Max in 2:11

NM Speed in 0:25

PSYCHO.WAD

UV Speed in 1:27

UV Max in 4:32

This is some serious doom 1 slaughter.

The author claims that nightmare is impossible, anyone wanna prove them wrong?

RH21A.WAD

Pacifist in 0:19

NM Speed in 0:22

dump01.zip

Castle of the Renegades by Scott F. Crank:

UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:18 caslp018.zip

Nightmare! Speed/Pacifist in 0:24 casln024.zip

UV Stroller in 0:22 casls022.zip

Same method as for the Doom2 version, but with more waiting for the imp to amble into position. I wasn't sure if the thing wobble would be possible in the Stroller, so I used the boring method instead, and was surprised by how quick it was.

On 4/26/2018 at 7:49 PM, 4shockblast said:

Good to see a demo from @Ryback

Here Here, I will second That!

On 4/26/2018 at 10:59 PM, Bob9001 said:

@4shockblast I just counted up my point, should be 123. Excluding the ones that have already been filled. Have you been missing some of my demos? :P

It's possible I miscounted. :P

I have a better solution in mind for counting points more automatically than I've been doing, I'll recount all the points eventually, and hopefully there will be much less room for error.

Just now, 4shockblast said:

It's possible I miscounted. :P

I have a better solution in mind for counting points more automatically than I've been doing, I'll recount all the points eventually, and hopefully there will be much less room for error.

Well I just thought I'd tally my point up and found a margin of error :P

LOSTLEVL.WAD

UV Speed in 2:30

UV Max in 8:01

Unfortunate end time on the max but the level is kinda annoying so I'm good.

GKYFA10.WAD

UV Speed in 1:27

UV Max in 3:28

NM Speed in 1:28

This one was pretty fun to play.

Both of these levels have two secrets that not even the doombuilder search function can find.

lostgky.zip

KNEE-DEEP IN THE DEU by DEU 5.1 testers:

E1M1 Nightmare Speed in 0:27 kdd1n027.zip

E1M2 Nightmare Pacifist/Speed in 0:08 kdd2n008.zip

E1M6 Nightmare Pacifist/Speed in 0:07 kdd6n007.zip - already done by N_A for the standalone version helipad

E1M7 Nightmare Pacifist/Speed in 0:24 kdd7n024.zip

E1M8 Nightmare Speed in 1:49 kdd8n149.zip

This episode accompanied the first release of DEU, so has a claim to being the first pwad episode (or maybe even the first released pwad made from scratch with an editor), though it is hard to tell with a lot of wrongly dated wad files from that time. I decided to use -complevel 0 for these demos, as Doom.exe 1.2 was the version that the wad was designed for and tested with. This seems to make the fast demons more of a pain as their short-range hitscan attack is harder to avoid at close quarters. It also gave me a quirk to exploit in E1M7, as firing plasma clears a couple of one-time teleport linedefs that lie in front of the exit.

By the way, there is scope for a couple of tricks on E1M3:

1) The normal exit can be reached by a tricky strafe-50 jump, removing the need for a detour to raise a pillar.

2) An impse glide can be used for a switch that is needed to open up the secret exit.

However, Nightmare still looked like hell either way.

Edited by Grazza : Updated the E1M8 attachment with a corrected text-file.

TNT.wad

E1M1 - UV-Max in 11:58.

Ultimate.wad

E1M1 - UV-Max in 4:22 & UV-Speed in 2:49.

E1M4 - UV-Max in 11:37, UV-Speed in 4:38, NM-Speed in 5:20 & Pacifist in 4:36.

E1M5 - UV-Max in 8:20, UV-Speed in 2:27 & NM-Speed in 2:19.

E1M9 - UV-Max in 3:26 & UV-Speed in 1:35.

TNT & Ultimate Demos.zip

OK, I have to ask: Why do you upload UV Speeds that are slower than UV Pacifists that you have also done? A Pacifist is also a Speed.

32 minutes ago, Grazza said:

OK, I have to ask: Why do you upload UV Speeds that are slower than UV Pacifists that you have also done? A Pacifist is also a Speed.

They're separate catagories? Pacifist I don't kill anything to get to the exit, UV-Speed I kill monsters.

yes but Grazza is saying if a pacifist is faster than a speed it makes no sense to submit the speed to this 'competition'. of course there is nothing wrong with running a map slower than an existing record but it wouldnt get any points in this thread.

2 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

They're separate catagories? Pacifist I don't kill anything to get to the exit, UV-Speed I kill monsters.

Pacifist is a subset of UV-Speed.

8iRBTcS.png

UV-Speed is exit as fast as possible on UV; pacifist also does this and doesn't (intentionally) damage monsters, so UV-Speeds that are slower than Pacifists on the same map are fundamentally the same as UV-Speeds that are slower than existing UV-Speeds.

10 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

yes but Grazza is saying if a pacifist is faster than a speed it makes no sense to submit the speed to this 'competition'. of course there is nothing wrong with running a map slower than an existing record but it wouldnt get any points in this thread.

Yeah I understand but, the objective of this thread is to table fill right?

So If I'm doing an extra category then I'm doing what the thread for. Under normal demos I probably wouldn't submit like I am.

i apologise Bob9001, that is a very good point about 'filling' the table.

i guess it is a limitation of the current DSDA format - in an ideal world Grazza's pacifist speed run would be counted in both the uv-speed and the pacifist table cells.

4 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

i apologise Bob9001, that is a very good point about 'filling' the table.

i guess it is a limitation of the current DSDA format - in an ideal world Grazza's pacifist speed run would be counted in both the uv-speed and the pacifist table cells.

Nah, it's honestly fine. I see where he's coming from and again like I said if I was recording for a different wad, I would be more reluctant to record both pacifist and UV-Speed.

It's actually a learning thing for me, I didn't know you were allowed to do Pacifist/UV-Speed in the same demo. I was under the impression that you had to record 2 demos for both.

11 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

It's actually a learning thing for me, I didn't know you were allowed to do Pacifist/UV-Speed in the same demo. I was under the impression that you had to record 2 demos for both.

On most maps it is possible to save some time by using weapons, so they are two separate demos, with the Speed faster than the Pacifist. [I apologize if I set a bad example with my first two demos in this thread, but that was basically just a screw-up on my part.] But if firing weapons serves no purpose, then one demo is enough. I think for Compet-n in the old days such a demo got two points, but I'm not sure (it would definitely be in both tables, unlike at DSDA, but Andy does so much work as it is that bugging him over that would seem wrong). I also believe most people don't take "points" too seriously, at Compet-n and surely here too.

Of course, there are similar issues with NM Speed and NM 100%, where skipping secrets may not save time. And other categories that are (or can be) subsets of others (e.g. a Tyson might also be a Max). Are UV -respawn and UV -fast the only standard categories that are immune to such overlap issues?

Anyway, here is a Pacifist that is surely slower than a Speed would be on this map. And sorry for the sidetrack, but it was just bugging me. :)

KNEE-DEEP IN THE DEU by DEU 5.1 testers:

E1M8 UV Pacifist in 0:48 kdd8p046.zip

Edited by Grazza

For some reason I decided it would be fun to teleport into a small room tightly packed with six demons. On Nightmare. Well, the Red Sea did part after a number of attempts.

KHOON Version 1.1 by Jaswant Singh Hayre <a.k.a. BLADE>

Nightmare! Speed/Pacifist in 0:06 khoon006.zip

also:

UV Reality Speed in 0:16 khoor016.zip (no idea how everything missed me)

On 4/28/2018 at 4:19 AM, Bob9001 said:

TNT.wad

E1M1 - UV-Max in 11:58.

I couldn't play back this demo either :/

Alright, I recalculated everything with a new system. The info will be stored in this spreadsheet from now on: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L65fUZnG8KPNGeoXwLWW4QJz1rhBQ96EZVRWu3hFM-w/edit?usp=sharing. It contains a list of all the runs as well as the rankings. Green entries count for points, white ones do not, and empty ones mean no run was made. In the case of white entries, I added reasoning as to why it didnt' count. It also standardized how the points were counted. In particular, all runs count only for the category that they are made (even if they are eligible for several). In the case of pacifist/speed stuff, UV-Speeds posted with pacifists that are slower do not count, although I believe I have been counting them earlier for the most part. The same way, speeds that are slower than maxes wouldn't count, etc. Naturally, you could easily circumvent this by recording an intentionally slower pacifist or making separate posts for them or something, but this competition is for fun, and if someone wanted to go against its spirit for points, then I guess they'll just have to live with their conscience. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The point system is primarily designed to get more wads into the thread, and it's achieved that quite well, so I think little details like this aren't too important.

On another note, more trivial wads:

MANiFEST A DooM ][ Level made from scratch UV-Max in 0:54.

Pacifist in 0:32.

NM-Speed in 0:32. (Also Pacifist)

I made a search for 94 in idgames and ordered wads by size, ascending, this was the smallest wad I could find in SP aside from Origwad and it is even more trivial gameplay-wise. :^)

NEWBONUS.WAD UV-Max in 0:04.69.

Pacifist in 0:01.20.

NM-Speed in 0:01.23.

NM100 in 0:01.97.

UV -fast in 0:04.69.

Tyson in 0:17.

Stroller in 0:02.71.

newbstr271.zip

newbs197.zip

newbn123.zip

newbp120.zip

newbt017.zip