Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jupiter_ex

The old Doomguy adventures

Half as a joke I initially made some mute-cinema-era style versions of two of Doom's soundtrack songs. Then I made two more, from what I found viable to fit in with the style; so now I put together a little video to see how it all looks and feels.

Re-versioned songs are based on:

0:00 At Doom's Gate, 0:47 The Imp's Song, 1:37 Demons on the Prey, 2:30 Message for the Archvile

EDIT: I wish I knew how to resize a video in here

12 hours ago, jupiter_ex said:

But I think that "greyscale" is not enough for such mod. I mean, it needs also some ACS magic for filter effects + adding "commentaries" while doing something (also ACS with stopping time to prevent getting damage).

Anyway, I'd like to create such mod, but only if you'll do other remades in this style.

3 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

Anyway, I'd like to create such mod...

Actually I wanted to make it myself :D  Mostly what it looks like in the video. Sadly, although I have worked like for a decade as a videogame dev, and I've played Doom since 1993, I never got down to take a look at it's code, which has been open for many years now, so I don't have any idea of how to begin this

It would take to desaturate all textures in the game. Have some way to dynamically show intermission screens, and get a way around to make some sort of post-processing (I don't know what ACS is, so maybe that solves that). Some speeding up of the action (a la old reels) would be welcome which would make up for the stoppipng of the action during intermission screens, and maybe balancing all that would make for a good gameplay mechanic

The music would have been the easy part since those tunes in the video can very easily be exported to midis, and honky-tonk piano is a standard instrument in the basic midi table

I wanted to begin small but well polished, maybe one level, or one mission

@jupiter_ex I do really like this! I remember black-white movies very well and your job is cool. Songs are great. Could you upload original music, I'm listening this music all the time.

Funny! I think you went overboard with the shaking and the blinking though. Old movies aren't that hard on the eyes.

On 4/21/2018 at 10:16 AM, Memfis said:

Funny! I think you went overboard with the shaking and the blinking though. Old movies aren't that hard on the eyes.

I mean, it can be highly deteriorated from age.