Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fraggle

freedoom update

Yeah, that's gotta be sooo much fun. I would like to do something like that someday, but I guess my map editing skills aren't exactly good.

Still, I'm all for wandering throught a what-should-have-been E1M1.

Not to put a damper on anything but won't the levels have to be doom2.exe compliant? That puts some restrictions on what sort of stuff can be made.

Personally I like the idea of making new levels which emulate the styles of those that they are replacing, however. I don't think it would be even that hard -- at least when I was making a E1-style Speedmapping it seemed pretty easy to think of stuff, since I had something I could rip ideas from.

I'd like it to run with regular doom2.exe as well, however we'd want it to require at least Boom so that it would be totally legal, in order to discourage people from pirating the original engine. I could really care less about the original engine, and I don't see why anybody would want to play this new IWAD with the original engine in the first place, but since there's parts of the original engine that aren't GPL, we'd have to discourage use of the doom2.exe by making most, if not all maps port-specific, even if only to the point of causing visplane overflows. That way everybody would be forced to use only the freely-available resources and nothing else.

Lüt's right...altough I'm not sure if this is compatible with the whole freedoom idea.

"This is a project to create an entire Doom II IWAD file, compatible enough to play Add-on Doom II wads."

Altough the whole deal regarding sprite frames and shit already shakes that phrase a bit.

It'll be able to play the add-on WADs because the resource names will be the same, and the textures will also match. For example, if you want a certain block of the GSTONE wall on a brick on the floor, the replacement texture should match the original, and there will be no alignment problems or anything with the add-on WADs. But you are supposed to play the add-on WADs with a sourceport, even if they were intended for vanilla doom2.

It won't be enhanced for EDGE, it'll be built like the original IWAD, except that the only part that will require sourceports will be the maps. EDGE will process this IWAD the same way it would process the regular Doom2 IWAD. There won't be any EDGE-specific features because this is supposed to be as compatible with all ports as it can be, which probably means sticking to highly-detailed scenes only, but maybe some Boom features as well.

Eh... was it in the old thread in the Editing Forum? I musta missed it then. I'm going to bed anyways, but I still say it shouldn't be a problem, so there.

No. Lüt is totally correct. It will not be a problem in any way at all. Anything port specific will come from the add on wad and the port engine used (scripts, linedef types etc). Not the IWAD.

I can do some really detailed shit with the original Doom2.exe, and I'd be glad to add a map or two to this project.
I'm also up for recreating some of the smaller sprites. (health, armour etc.)

I can do some really detailed shit with the original Doom2.exe, and I'd be glad to add a map or two to this project.

We're working on textures at the moment (See http://fraggle.despayre.ath.cx/freedoom/status.shtml for our current status) but will certainly need levels in the future. Email me if you want to help (theres nothing to stop you starting now, infact it will probably help out later on).

I'm also up for recreating some of the smaller sprites. (health, armour etc.)

We have a few of these included in the wad already. You're welcome to contribute some if you want.

I'd like it to run with regular doom2.exe as well, however we'd want it to require at least Boom so that it would be totally legal, in order to discourage people from pirating the original engine.

There has been some minor discussion of this, we're probably going to allow the levels to use boom effects (seeing as practically all ports are boom compatible nowadays)

I guess MAP01 should be sort of base/techy type, but I wanna do a hell type level with a green stone theme. I'm sooo good at them.

Then do a later level like Map25.

I figure most of the maps should at least use some themes from the ones they're replacing.

We're replacing the orignal maps with the same storyline. But, go to the freedoom site and read some of submitted stories there to make sure. The levels don't depend on the story too much.

Depending on the levels submitted, it might not stay as Map01.

True. It might not even stay at all, but I'm making it anyway. I've got the first couple of rooms done, but I haven't really decided on a texture set yet.

I'll probably start mine in a few months, but I have some ideas anyways. I'll show them how to make city levels...

Hey, what info do i use to log into the freedoom ftp server thing? I wanna upload a couple of textures, and I am denied access by my ftp program.

I've answered this on the Freedoom message board as well.

Just go to the FTP in Internet Explorer, and drag and drop your zip files across.

AAAHHHHH!!!! Why can't I get to the Freedoom Page????????

I just keep getting 404. Same with the FTP, but the message board still works. Have we been shut down or something?