Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMReboot

DOOM Game Engine from scratch

Hi guys, I was told to post here as you might be interested. 

I've spent the last few months writing a full game engine which can also run DOOM.  I started out with a clean slate, haven't ever peeked at the original source code, and have come pretty far I think.

I'm doing it to test my software development mettle and because it's simply been quite fun and I've learned a lot about OpenGL, C++, and general game engine development!

I'm also working on an extensive set of tutorials about pretty much everything that has gone into the engine from level and media loading, BSP stuff, audio, physics, and engine architecture, etc.

Here's the link to my twitter documenting my progress and then a link to my site where I'll be publishing the tutorials:

https://www.twitter.com/DOOMReboot

http://www.movax13h.com

screenshot_large.png

This kind of thing is always interesting from a technical point of view. How close to vanilla does it feel to play?

Edit: And I guess the main question is, are you replicating the original engine's approach to 3D space, or will this be a genuine 3D engine (i.e. no Z-axis limitations)?

22 minutes ago, Bauul said:

This kind of thing is always interesting from a technical point of view. How close to vanilla does it feel to play?

Edit: And I guess the main question is, are you replicating the original engine's approach to 3D space, or will this be a genuine 3D engine (i.e. no Z-axis limitations)?

I'm going as close to vanilla as possible.  Everything from movement speed to the head bob and sway.  I even used a stopwatch to time the sprints in order to get the speed just right.

It is a fully-fledged 3D game engine (all tris).  I'm making the engine itself generic enough to create my own games, which I've been working on in parallel).

It runs at 200 some fps at 3800x2160.

Sounds very promising! If you want to really test its vanilla compatibility, and really impress everyone here, see if you can build in support for vanilla demos.

If your engine can run through a demo file and not desync, that's the true test of whether it runs equivalent to the original engine.

(Practically speaking that might be impossible without basically copying the source code, but it'd be a fun experiment to see how close it gets)