Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Taw Tu'lki

What's your favourite languages (not programming)

My favourite languages are:

1) Russian;

2) English;

3) Spanish;

4) French;

5) Japanese;

6) Some turkic languages (bashkir, tatar, kazakh, kyrgyz, azerbaijan, turkey, turkmen, karachay, crimean, uzbek).

Even though English is my first language, and I speak it a lot, I do (in some ways) find French (my second language) to be really nice, despite all those damn exceptions that are present in it (well, like any language, I suppose).

When it comes to a language's written form, I'll be honest, though I think I'm never going to learn it in any way, I think Arabic looks quite nice in text.

The only languages I know and speak thus far are my native one and english, but I like how other languages I've considered learning at some point in life sound, such as norwegian and japanese, although the latter is probably a nightmare to write in.

I've had french courses since the 5th grade up until the 12th but unfortunately, due to highly incompetent and careless teachers I've never been able to properly learn it. I can understand basic structures but I'm unable to write one correctly by myself, let alone have a conversation. Honestly I don't really like french all that much but in this day and age english is no longer enough sometimes, so it certainly wouldn't have hurt to know it well.

I've also had a spanish course back in the 11th grade but obviously, you can't learn a foreign language in just a year.

Edited by Agent6

My favorite one to speak is English (out of the two i know anyway), and regarding ones I enjoy looking at/listening to, Swedish and Romanian are pretty neato although I don't understand either of them at all.

And do fictional languages count? Because the cultist language from Blood is pretty fuckin badass. It's a shame it doesn't have more words so it'd be fully speakable.

16 minutes ago, 129thVisplane said:

and regarding ones I enjoy looking at/listening to, Swedish and Romanian are pretty neato although I don't understand either of them at all.

Spoiler

Oh, pai daca iti place romana voi avea grija sa arunc niste cuvinte sau propozitii prin comentarii.

[Well, if you like romanian I'll make sure to throw a few words or sentences in my comments].

There, for your pleasure :D .

I like all the languages i speak obviously :U which are albanian,german and english
And if made up joke languages count i also like kosovarian,austrian,canadian and australian XD

I'm from Russia. I live in Ufa, where most people are turkic people (bashkirs and tatars). Bashkir and tatar languages are turkic languages. Also I'm a turkic (not turk, turkic man - tatar) myself. 

Also I'm very interesting about history of turkic people.

I write a story about anthro animals which they have a turkic names (Genghiz for example) and talk to turkic languages. 

While I only speak American English and a little bit of Spanish, I'm fond of the sound of Italian, German, and Russian.  Not that I understand any of what's being said, I just like the sound of them.

2 hours ago, BJ34 said:

I'm from Russia. I live in Ufa

Oh you live in the same city as Daniil Kvyat. Is he really worshipped there?

Anyway, I really like my native language, Croatian. I think that English and Italian are other favourite languages. Georgian sounds good too!

I think Russian and Japanese are about equally interesting, beautiful, and expressive, while English is significantly more boring and lifeless. Like, it's good for clearly communicating exact ideas, but if you want to do something fun and poetic... Better pick another one. I don't know much about other languages. Perhaps I'll go for Spanish in a couple of years, although I'm not sure if I can find enough motivation.

Also I've been thinking about constructed languages and I think I realized what I don't like about them. They seem to be too stuck in the present. I think the best language would be one that's very good at adapting to the changes that are happening in the world. It should be very easy to invent new words and modify the meanings of the old ones when necessary. In other words, constructed languages should strive to be as customizable as possible. But I haven't heard much about the work done in this field.

2 hours ago, SOSU said:

kosovarian

*FROWNS WITH STRONG DISAPPROVAL*

Anyway I speak Serbian, English and Russian, all at an approximately similar level (about to start learning Czech in the near future too). I can't name my fav one though, since I find they're all good in different uses.

Like English is cool when you are discussing very casual stuff like everyday life and memes, but it gets very complicated in anything more complex than that (poetry, scientific work, anything). It's also surprisingly easy to learn despite the absolutely nonsensical pronunciation which is often completely different from the spelling. 

Russian/Serbian (I'm generalizing due to both being Slavic languages) on the other hand can remain reasonably intelligible even in very complex sentences. Having cases as opposed to prepositions in English certainly helps a lot. However it's far less *flexible*, the grammar is significantly harder to learn, and as a result the words/sentences are typically quite a bit longer than English ones. In Russian there's also the orthography, which is simply devilishly hard (not an issue in Serbian, though).

In conclusion, the more, the merrier.

2 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

I have a very extensive knowledge of Latin. Unfortunately there's no-one left to converse with in it these days.

It's also quite difficult and tricky to learn and especially to use correctly.

I've had latin courses back in high school and translating texts correctly was a nightmarishly tedious task. And when the translation was theoretically more or less correct, surprise, wrong verb tenses ("was" instead of "is", and so on). It was not a very pleasant experience...

45 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Also I've been thinking about constructed languages and I think I realized what I don't like about them. They seem to be too stuck in the present. I think the best language would be one that's very good at adapting to the changes that are happening in the world. It should be very easy to invent new words and modify the meanings of the old ones when necessary. In other words, constructed languages should strive to be as customizable as possible. But I haven't heard much about the work done in this field.

I'm one of the men who thinks about united turkic language - panturkists called it "Ortaturk" (middle-turkic language). It will be not bad if all turkic languages will be united because turkic people understand themselves perfectly. 

But one problem: it must be a clean turkic language, without arabic, persian and another borrowed words (unless of course they mean modern things). But in the world few clean turkic languages (and must of them are disappearing languages), because most of turkic languages are arabized, because most of turkic people are muslims. 
I don't want to say about politics...

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

*FROWNS WITH STRONG DISAPPROVAL*

Sorry albanian but with serbian slang >:Y

Ç'KE BRE INTENSIFIED

Definitely czech (my native), then chinese (trying to learn), english (daily work). I can speak little bit german, but don't like it too much. 
Most funny languages for me are finnish and hungarian. ;)

Probably the four languages I can speak well enough to hold a conversation to some degree: English (first language), Japanese (minor in college), Spanish (spoken at home growing up), and Esperanto (Always wanted to learn).

Also Russian (Союз нерушимый республик свободных) and Welsh.

Edited by YukiRaven

-English (it's my native language)

-Swedish (I really wanna go to Sweden someday)

-Japanese (I get to speak gibberish and people will understand me)

-German (I sound really pissed if I wish someone a happy birthday)

-Russian (it sounds badass)

Keep in mind I don't speak Swedish, Japanese, German, or Russian, and I can hardly speak English.

44 minutes ago, Pyrolex said:

-English (it's my native language)

-Swedish (I really wanna go to Sweden someday)

-Japanese (I get to speak gibberish and people will understand me)

-German (I sound really pissed if I wish someone a happy birthday)

-Russian (it sounds badass)

Keep in mind I don't speak Swedish, Japanese, German, or Russian, and I can hardly speak English.

German is the badass angry tongue, and I dont know why, but Russian sounds like to much vodka lol 

55 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

Probably the four languages I can speak well enough to hold a conversation to some degree: English (first language), Japanese (minor in college), Spanish (spoken at home growing up), and Esperanto (Always wanted to learn).

Also Russian (Союз нерушимый республик свободных) and Welsh.

Blimey! I doubt most people in wales can speak Welsh!

Anyway English for me, did learn French for 5 years at school a long time ago, can read signs and probably be rude if required.

And I've picked up a bit of German from reading history books etc, not enough to hold a conversation thou. 

2 minutes ago, Liberation said:

Blimey! I doubt most people in wales can speak Welsh!

I don't, either!  But I wouldn't mind learning a little since I'm part Welsh.

@YukiRaven I go to wales a fair bit for my work and I find myself trying to decipher the road signs as a bit of challenge. Of course I normally fail and resort to reading the English bit. I've never gone of the beaten track enough to find the villages etc that do use it.

^ I spent a couple of weeks in Wales a few years ago. In the North-West part of the country (eg Anglesey, Caernarfon, Porthmadog, Aberystwyth), almost everyone speaks Welsh.

My native language is English, Canadian English to be more specific. I like English, but I don't like the devolutionary trends I've been observing within it over the past few years.

J'ai étudié français dans le lycée et dans l'université. J'adore français.

And that was as far as I could go with those sentences...

I like French, and I like learning French. I'm probably not going to use it very often, but I've enjoyed learning it.

Languages in general fascinate me. I like learning small tidbits about their structures, how they evolve (or in some cases devolve) over time, etc. Regional accents are a particular fascination of mine, due in large part to how Canadians are often wrongfully depicted in American media (the stereotypical Canadian accent you see in most American TV shows shares more similarities with a specific regional accent in the American Midwest than it does with the majority of actual Canadian accents).

As I've mentioned a couple of times on this forum I started inventing my own unique language (Rahzemjeriilak), I haven't been able to work on it in forever though. I'm going to need to completely throw out the current structures and redo them since they turned out to be too restrictive and inflexible for it to be a viable language. I'm planning on pulling a Tolkien and creating my own fictional universe around the language I invent.

I've always found French and Italian fascinating, and I sort of plan to learn them, but not before tackling German first.

I know a little bit of German, so I want to at least finish learning it properly since in my country they teach it as a sort of "third" language in school after Bosnian and English (or fifth if you count Croatian and Serbian, honestly it's a fubar situation in here in terms of languages).

Also while conversing with a friend who is from Finland, Finnish has also piqued my interest.

P.S. @bzzrak

Spoiler

ijekavian>ekavian, <3

5 minutes ago, Danzadan said:

or fifth if you count Croatian and Serbian

You forgot Montenegrin, that makes 6. :]

Also ekavica > ijekavica, fight me

53 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

^ I spent a couple of weeks in Wales a few years ago. In the North-West part of the country (eg Anglesey, Caernarfon, Porthmadog, Aberystwyth), almost everyone speaks Welsh.

I've heard its used more in the north, however have yet to encounter it myself yet. Guess it works like Scottish Gaelic in the highlands.

Just had a look on google map at Anglesey, yeah that's a fair enough point, that is proper Wales!! Bet it was lovely up there. 

I mean in terms of languages I actually know anything about, that's pretty much limited to English and Japanese. there's not a lot of languages out there I really feel that compelled to learn for fun. Language is a relatively interesting concept to me though, so I've been vaguely tempted to try to learn earlier forms of english and perhaps Latin, though there's not a whole lot I could do with old english, given the relatively limited body of work using it.