Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Taw Tu'lki

What's your favourite languages (not programming)

Currently i only speak 2 languages, English and Spanish, but i have soft spot for german due to how it sounds and i really like some german words, also im interested in learning Japanese since im planing a trip there in a couple of years after the olympics and it would help to learn it the year before visiting

Portuguese (which can be dumb at times, but it's par with English). You'll see, I'll make Brazil great again!

Wow, this topic is pretty interesting. Before I actually list down some languages down, I would like to tell a story about myself on how I grow fond of learning new languages. When I was little, my primary language was Spanish because of my parent's background. Every day, I would ask my parents what do certain things means in Spanish and I would get the answer I would want. When I got a little older, my big brother has to educate me on English because I had to go to school soon. During my school days, I spend some of my time reading English books and go to some program called "ESL" (English Second Language).  When I was in high school, I had a Russian counselor. She was quite interesting. I once told her that I found Russia to be quite interesting along with its culture and language too because of the history channel. As she counsels me, she would sometimes tell me about her experience in Russia, show me some Russian videos, or teach me some Russian word or phrases whenever she has a few minutes left on her time before I return to class. On some days, I watch videos about other countries and their languages since my father visits people who come from different countries like Brazil. Sooner on, I thought to myself that learning a new language might be a fun experience for me. So I spend some time looking around the internet to see what languages interest me and what doesn't. I made some few internet friends who happen to be from Russia and Poland. The Polish guy, It's Cyber 8 BTW, LOL ROLF!! 

Anyways, I'm going to list my favorite languages down:

• Polish (I sometimes go to educational websites and look over my Polish for Dummies book)
  • English
  • Spanish
  • Japanese(I'm currently learning it at my community college)
  • Italian (A few years ago, I discovered I have Italian blood along with my Spanish blood) 
  • German
  • Russian
  • Portuguese & Brazilian Portuguese 

Ehh, that's pretty much it.

7 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

My native language is English, Canadian English to be more specific. I like English, but I don't like the devolutionary trends I've been observing within it over the past few years.

J'ai étudié français dans le lycée et dans l'université. J'adore français.

And that was as far as I could go with those sentences...

I like French, and I like learning French. I'm probably not going to use it very often, but I've enjoyed learning it.

Languages in general fascinate me. I like learning small tidbits about their structures, how they evolve (or in some cases devolve) over time, etc. Regional accents are a particular fascination of mine, due in large part to how Canadians are often wrongfully depicted in American media (the stereotypical Canadian accent you see in most American TV shows shares more similarities with a specific regional accent in the American Midwest than it does with the majority of actual Canadian accents).

As I've mentioned a couple of times on this forum I started inventing my own unique language (Rahzemjeriilak), I haven't been able to work on it in forever though. I'm going to need to completely throw out the current structures and redo them since they turned out to be too restrictive and inflexible for it to be a viable language. I'm planning on pulling a Tolkien and creating my own fictional universe around the language I invent.

Well, we only speak French in Quebec, so yeah, the rest of Canada is basically English. I guess it's pretty hard to learn French, it has a way too complicated grammar and shit, even has my native tongue, I had trouble at school lol. English was so much easier for me to learn...

19 hours ago, Visplane Overflow! said:

I use to speak english.

But i just learn Russian in a week.

How? CSGO

CYKA BLYAT RUSKI!

Brehat' mne tyt ne nado eba. Ti ne znaesh i odnoy desyatoy moego rodnogo yazyka.

CSGO is not best teacher. Try Dota 2. Bjt beware the Cult of Kurwa.

And if we talk about favorite ones I prefer to talk about 4 of then existing: russian (since it's my native one), english (due to my education, I've learned basic things but my knowlege grows up in Internet because it's better place for learning from native people), german (just because of how it sounds in my uears) and Japanesse (aame reason as previous one... plus i'd like to mate with jap girl, kinda interesting experience, huh).

Edited by CWolf

6 hours ago, Mayhem666 said:

Well, we only speak French in Quebec, so yeah, the rest of Canada is basically English. I guess it's pretty hard to learn French, it has a way too complicated grammar and shit, even has my native tongue, I had trouble at school lol. English was so much easier for me to learn...

From my experience the main problem with french was the pronunciation of the words. So many words made my tongue split in half. Not being able to spell certain letters properly (most notably "R") didn't do me any favor either. I could barely understand what I was saying, let alone everyone else :v .

Russian,

Serbian,

English,

Italia,

French,

German,

I only know a few words in both German and Russian.

Let's see:

- Hungarian as number one (since I'm a native speaker)

- Then: Russian

- German (used to learn it)

- Spanish ( family connections)

- Chinese 

- Mongolian 

- French ( reading words is rocket science for me)

- Vietnamese

- Italien 

Lithuanian(my native language, everytime when I see mapset called "mano laikas", I don't know how to react, because it literally translates as "my time" and find this kind of weird)

I have soft spot for german language, I had two years in school, but you know, time erased a bit what I learned.
I tried learn russian too in school and I wasted four years for it, I can read in it as first grade student and write in it with lots of mistakes.
Well, english, thanks internet for helping me to understand it and I can type words in this language without any problems.
Maybe some spanish too, because of all soap operas in television. 

In no order list,

• Indonesian (my native language)
  • Sanskrit
  • Latin
  • Spanish
  • Scots (not to be confused with Scottish Gaelic)
  • Japanese
  • Polynesian languages
  • Slavic languages (particularly the West (e.g. Czech & Polish) and South (e.g. Bulgarian & Serbo-Croatian) ones)

I only speak English and a bit of Spanish. I think Spanish is superior to English in some ways:

• Simpler rules of grammar
  • Simpler rules of pronunciation
  • More beautiful sound (IMO)

The only leg up that English has is that it generally requires fewer syllables to say things than it does in Spanish.

So to answer the question, I think I would say Spanish is my favorite language, but all of the Romantic languages except maybe French share its advantages.

Spoiler

I don't know enough foreign languages to have an opinion worth mentioning.

12 hours ago, Agent6 said:

From my experience the main problem with french was the pronunciation of the words. So many words made my tongue split in half. Not being able to spell certain letters properly (most notably "R") didn't do me any favor either. I could barely understand what I was saying, let alone everyone else :v .

Definitely not surprised by this. Everyone that I've seen trying to learn that language had difficulties at some points, however i'm pretty sure I would have difficulties with other foreign language too. Anyways, (French Canada) is way different then French in Europe. Best comparasion I can give is USA and UK English. French people would also have difficulties understanding us even if it's the same language lol.

19 hours ago, Mayhem666 said:

As far as I could tell I was the only person in my university French course who could correctly pronounce the "r" and liason from the beginning of the course, and I usually had an easier time with conjugation than the other students. I generally do just fine with the structures and grammar, my main issues arise from a lack of vocabulary and occasionally not remembering how to conjugate specific irregular verbs.

6 minutes ago, Mayhem666 said:

Definitely not surprised by this. Everyone that I've seen trying to learn that language had difficulties at some points, however i'm pretty sure I would have difficulties with other foreign language too. Anyways, (French Canada) is way different then French in Europe. Best comparasion I can give is USA and UK English. French people would also have difficulties understanding us even if it's the same language lol.

For some reason in Alberta they primarily teach Parisian French and occasionally the instructor may point out some differences in vocabulary/structure between Québecois French and Parisian French. I've always found this rather odd for the reasons you've mentioned.

2 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

As far as I could tell I was the only person in my university French course who could correctly pronounce the "r" and liason from the beginning of the course, and I usually had an easier time with conjugation than the other students. I generally do just fine with the structures and grammar, my main issues arise from a lack of vocabulary and occasionally not remembering how to conjugate specific irregular verbs.

For some reason in Alberta they primarily teach Parisian French and occasionally the instructor may point out some differences in vocabulary/structure between Québecois French and Parisian French. I've always found this rather odd for the reasons you've mentioned.

That's a great thing that you're not struggling with grammar, vocabulary comes with time and practice, I often think the same thing about my English, it's about knowing more words and what are their meanings to build more varied sentences. This is something I am still learning to do as of today.

Well, they try to teach us the good way of writting French in Quebec, there's not much of a difference there, but it's in the way the language is spoken. To me personally, I hate the way it's spoken in France, the accent is just, awful lol­.

English is my native, and it's a pain in the backside sometimes, but one thing I think it has over many languages: gender neutral nouns.

Otherwise, I like German (I speak at about a beginner's level), Russian (I got the alphabet mostly down), and Greek (got the alphabet and a few words here and there).

One language that interests me is Mandarin, because China has such a rich culture and I'd like to know a little more about it.

And just to be a jerk: my favorite programming language is C.

I now want to learn another language besides the two I speak fluently (English and Russian) and I'm interested in French and Spanish. French seems more interesting to me due to it's historical value (one third of English words are from French), but there seem to be more people on the Internet who speak Spanish and understanding them would be nice. Learning both languages at the same time would be very hard so I need to decide. Although I've already started learning French (I know the pronounciation and some grammar), but I may change my mind to Spanish.

Both Spanish and French are Romantic languages, so learning one will make the other very easy to learn. Spanish is also simplicity itself, compared to Russian an English.