Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

5 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I don't care what they do as long as they don't make the Doomguy a female for the sake of some dumb agenda.

I don't know, I wouldn't mind. Doom has always been about the world, not the protagonist. Doomguy's was never really characterized, because he's just an avatar. If the movie seriously wants to have a main character, it cannot be Doom Slayer because he's not really a character so much as a walking representation of the player's feelings and relationship with the game. So in that sense, the main character could potentially be a woman, or a man, or even a group of marines, and none of them would necessarily represent Doomguy/slayer, because his place is behind the camera, not on it. So I don't see any reason why the main character cannot be a woman, theoretically the story wouldn't need to change in any significant way.

4 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

[doomslayer jimquisition video]

I've already watched this. But this sort of storytelling only works in a game. How would you write dialogue for this character? Would he just be silent and punch shit?  Or would he spout annoying 1 liners and movie references because he "doesn't give a shit." Yeah, it wouldn't be interesting in a movie. Although, a Doom movie completely in first person would be kind of cool.

Another thing I'd like to note is that I said Doomguy. In the second half of my post, where I talk about doomslayer I say that the Doomslayer is still a representation of the player's own motives. A wink and a nod to the player, not fit for a film character, necessarily.

Although i'm ok with there being a new doom movie in production i think it would be better if there was a Wolfenstein movie.

53 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

I've already watched this. But this sort of storytelling only works in a game. How would you write dialogue for this character? Would he just be silent and punch shit?

Why not? Nobody is saying the Doom guy needs to be the only character. In fact, he doesn't even need to be the main character.

1 hour ago, Egg Boy said:

I've already watched this. But this sort of storytelling only works in a game. How would you write dialogue for this character? Would he just be silent and punch shit?  Or would he spout annoying 1 liners and movie references because he "doesn't give a shit." Yeah, it wouldn't be interesting in a movie. Although, a Doom movie completely in first person would be kind of cool.

Another thing I'd like to note is that I said Doomguy. In the second half of my post, where I talk about doomslayer I say that the Doomslayer is still a representation of the player's own motives. A wink and a nod to the player, not fit for a film character, necessarily.

While a Doom movie centering around Doomguy would be awesome, these are the problems that people would have with it:

Doomguy would have a name.

Doomguy would have dialogue.

Doomguy wouldn't sound right.

There would be other people, and Doomguy is supposed to be alone against the entirety of Hell.

If there were no other people, then Doomguy's dialogue would be one liners directed at his enemies or he would spend the whole movie talking to himself.

I would think it more likely that a Doom movie would center around a team, possibly like the team in ROTT, that fights against demons from Hell. And that wouldn't even be so wrong canonically. Doom can be played in co-op mode, and there are 4 player starts on every iwad map. So why not have a four person team, possibly with remote support? Done right, that could make for an entertaining movie.

9 hours ago, Phade102 said:

Lets face facts there. Theres no way it can be worse than the first one.

I have seen a number of "bad" movies in my time, ranging from those that are just bad to those that are so bad they're campy and it makes you wonder if they're doing it on purpose. A number of those "bad" movies were quite enjoyable, but that's not the point here. And I didn't think the 2005 Doom movie was that bad. It could've been a lot better, but it wasn't that bad.

Believe me, it would be easy to make a Doom movie that was worse than the first one.

On 4/20/2018 at 7:00 PM, Glaice said:

$10 it will suck and be panned by most critics. Again.

Some of the most entertaining movies I've seen, particularly in the action and adventure genres, have been panned by critics.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

While a Doom movie centering around Doomguy would be awesome, these are the problems that people would have with it:

There would be other people, and Doomguy is supposed to be alone against the entirety of Hell.

If there were no other people, then Doomguy's dialogue would be one liners directed at his enemies or he would spend the whole movie talking to himself.

I would think it more likely that a Doom movie would center around a team, possibly like the team in ROTT, that fights against demons from Hell. And that wouldn't even be so wrong canonically. Doom can be played in co-op mode, and there are 4 player starts on every iwad map. So why not have a four person team, possibly with remote support? Done right, that could make for an entertaining movie.

This guy sees what I'm getting at. Anyway, I would love to see a team of marines. And it would make a lot of sense considering Aliens inspired Doom and it was originally going to be a game adaptation of the film in the first place.

Can people please stop making movies based on games already? What's the point anyway? The reason why majority of games work in the first place is because they're interactive. That's their selling point. I don't want to WATCH a stripped down version of it, I love it because I'm a part of the picture. In many cases the reason why the story or the setting work is that you're IN that world for many hours. You take that away and you're left with a shadow of the original.

I say don't even bother with that. Let movies do their thing and games do theirs.

3 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Honestly, not having Doomguy in a Doom movie is as much of a mistake as not having demons.

Center it on a squad that slowly gets wiped out as they move towards the portal thats open to hell near the middle of the movie, several Barons come out, and then Doomguy runs out and fucks shit up.

Any other spoken exposition is through the remaining squad, and any questions towards Doomguy are simply met with gestures.

I think R. Lee Ermey would have made an excellent Doomguy. He would be the commander of a bunch of rookies (including his son) on their first mission. Despite his tough and sarcastic nature he genuinely cares about them and gets progressively angrier and bitter as each of them dies. Eventually, he stops talking at all and becomes a force of pure justice.

I definitely want them to give another crack at Doom. I truly hope it's strongly inspired by the latest installment with plenty of nods to the classics.

That "Dr. Carmack's condishun" part is one of the small gems of the film. Sounds like something renegade Shepard would say.

Something I know won't happen, but would be cool and interesting would be if they took the idea of "you are the character" and put it in the movie by making the audience charcaters in universe, maybe some UAC board members who have been called for an emergency meeting, and listen to Hayden growing more desperate at trying to convince you that everything's right, while you watch in-universe video recordings of how mining is going on Mars, and then about all of the strange things happening, while you hear muffled explosions and gunfire seemingly coming outside of the board room, culmilating first into some demons getting in, and lights go out, then only through sound you hear how some doomguys come in and shoot them dead. Then when you think everything's all right, a portal opens up and the whole audience get's transported to a hellish coliseum, where they witness the final battles, with multiple endings, one where the marines win and you have hope of returning back, and other where demons win, and the stand block where you're sitting plummets down into lava below.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/22/new-doom-movie/

The article reads:

Do you remember the original Doom movie from 2005? You'd be forgiven if you didn't -- while it had recognizable stars (most notably Dwayne Johnson), it was a critical and commercial flop that only really found life after it left the big screen. However, that isn't stopping Hollywood from giving it another shot. After years of rumors, NBCUniversal has confirmedto Variety that a new Doom movie is in the works, no doubt meant to capitalize on the game series' revival. Actress Nina Bergman has already revealed that she'll play a role in the movie, which reportedly has a "super cool director."

There are no plot details at this point, although you can presume it will involve the forces of Hell, Mars and a lot of firepower.

Just don't expect to see this movie in a theater. Universal 1440 Entertainment, which handles non-theatrical titles, is responsible for producing the flick -- that means it's headed straight to digital, disc and cable. While it's not certain the movie will land on subscription streaming services, it's a distinct possibility given how Netflix has been snapping up movies that would have struggled at the box office.

In that light, there's very little risk for Universal. However good the new Doom may be, it won't live or die based on a short theatrical run. It can get wide distribution (and potentially significant viewership) for relatively little effort. That option simply wouldn't have been available 13 years ago.

Interesting ;)

Also, more links just because:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-is-getting-another-movie-apparently/1100-6458398/

https://www.vg247.com/2018/04/21/new-doom-film-in-the-works-universal/

http://www.shacknews.com/article/104499/universal-pictures-taps-nina-bergman-for-new-doom-movie

Edited by MrDeAD1313

12 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

Honestly, not having Doomguy in a Doom movie is as much of a mistake as not having demons.

Center it on a squad that slowly gets wiped out as they move towards the portal thats open to hell near the middle of the movie, several Barons come out, and then Doomguy runs out and fucks shit up.

Any other spoken exposition is through the remaining squad, and any questions towards Doomguy are simply met with gestures.

I disagree. Doomguy (next to the story itself) is the least important aspect of the original Doom and Doom 2. Although, now that you mention it, a short film in first person, kind of like hardcore henry, would actually be really cool. Wouldn't be into a full film based on that concept though.

*yawn*

My dream DOOM movie would be a full on 80's and 90's experience. A completely rotoscoped film much like Heavy Metal, Fire & Ice or LoTR. An unnamed marine that doesn't talk much, if at all. Just make the movie ooze atmosphere and dread, mix in some ultra-violence, and just follow the original storyline. Marines land on Mars to check space base, squad goes in, gets torn to pieces, last marine goes in and finds his new calling in life with a shotgun in hand.

It could be an hour of cool animation, ambience, and violent gory shootouts with hellspawn. The marine can have a few lines of dialogue if he's trying to contact somebody, or swearing under his breath, but otherwise his gun will do most of the talking for him. It could even end with him defeating the two Barons, stepping into the portal, and seemingly getting torn to shreds.

E: You could actually start the movie on Earth during the riots in which he supposedly refused to fire upon and punched his superior in the face.

Oh they should go full force with Doomguy being the only character, not saying anything. The name on his helmet or armor can literally be "Doomguy" even if everyone calls him "hey you." "Where are you going?" "Answer me!" "You know its creepy when you don't talk right?" "Oh I get it... you're a robot, which is why you can miraculously not die in situations like this!" ... * someone looks into helmet * "The man inside this armor died a long time ago and the armor gained consciousness!"

If I can write a screenplay where Doomguy doesn't talk the entire 90 minutes... I assume someone else can.

Edited by geo

On 21.04.2018 at 10:47 PM, DooM_RO said:

I don't care what they do as long as they don't make the Doomguy a female for the sake of some dumb agenda.

1. Keep in mind the Doom Marine is simply meant to be you, the player. Hardly any requirement in the story for the marine to be a guy, unless maybe the statistics probably being skewed towards men in the army. But even then, women can apply.
  2. Doomguy is a fan term. You're just called a space marine.
  3. It's just you against demonic monsters. Gender doesn't matter, except again for statistics (men on average being stronger, less valuable for species survival and better fit for life threatening missions). Oh but if sex/gender does matter in hell, it probably goes either way just fine.

You know what I hate more? When the main "action" girl turns out to need a male saviour, or does nothing in the movie other than existing and being hunted because she has or knows something which she probably is not even aware of.

I'd prefer Doom to have a larger team than one person. Doom has always supported multiplayer, cooperative mode was even a selling point (see the old Doom cover art) and it's easier to make a movie-realistic script when you have a team than a single person against all odds.

1 hour ago, printz said:
  1. Keep in mind the Doom Marine is simply meant to be you, the player. Hardly any requirement in the story for the marine to be a guy, unless maybe the statistics probably being skewed towards men in the army. But even then, women can apply.
  2. Doomguy is a fan term. You're just called a space marine.
  3. It's just you against demonic monsters. Gender doesn't matter, except again for statistics (men on average being stronger, less valuable for species survival and better fit for life threatening missions). Oh but if sex/gender does matter in hell, it probably goes either way just fine.

You know what I hate more? When the main "action" girl turns out to need a male saviour, or does nothing in the movie other than existing and being hunted because she has or knows something which she probably is not even aware of.

I'd prefer Doom to have a larger team than one person. Doom has always supported multiplayer, cooperative mode was even a selling point (see the old Doom cover art) and it's easier to make a movie-realistic script when you have a team than a single person against all odds.

With regard to Doomguy, the picture in the HUD is male, but that's really just for convenience. The picture is essentially the only reason that we're convinced the space marine is male. The novelizations came later, and just followed what was basically established convention.

Sergeant Rita Vrataski in "Edge of Tomorrow" (Emily Blunt's character) would be a type of female character that would work rather well, I think, in a Doom movie.

2 hours ago, Ex Oblivione said:

Doom should have been made into a movie back in the 90s by ... or Ridley Scott or James Cameron.

You know, they both already did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKSQmYUaIyE

Doom was originally going to try to get a license to be adaptations of those movies.  ID Software ultimately did not do that, though...

I'm hoping the writer or director is at least a fan of the original game.

So far it seems this is going to be inspired by the 2016 game, which would make sense since that game was pretty damn mainstream that year.

Also Tomb Raider did that with their new movie and that wasn't a complete shit like these things usually end up as. Still it's not going to be very original I imagine.

What I'm hoping:

GOOD METAL MUSIC

All the movie being in first person view. If people can make fucking shakycam foundfootage crap in first person view, then certainly this isn't that far of a concept right ?

(Only movie I've seen done like this is Maniac, which is about a serial killer played by Elijah Wood.)

Focus on the actual fight scenes, not the plot. Maybe some background mystery is ok, but not some lets cut to 12 different characters and storylines bs. 

No secondary characters would be fine too, like a last man on earth/mars/hell type situation, but I guess if that actress already has a part...

Focus on the survival aspect, but have the main character become more powerful as the movie goes on. So at the end there is some badass fight with whatever demon/main antagonist

Original enemies, new weapons, gadgets. Probably going to be a lot of fan service'y crap. Already expecting a cyberdemon or mommy spider at the end. At least new enemy abilities would be nice. Something you can't do in the games

Enemies infighting and the main character using it to their advantage.