Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

Seems like a Doom movie would be best if it were about the labs on Phobos and what happens up to invasion, or something.  End it with the Doomguy's team being dropped off outside after the invasion, maybe before the credits you see the lone marine by the ship preparing to go in.  I think an imaginative writer could work with the manual's story.

All it takes is Netflix. They've been on a sci-fi kick lately... They'll show that CBS and its Star Trek Discovery. Well then again Doom is probably more horror action? ... but you know with good plot and dialog, because that's what people want.

8 hours ago, printz said:
  1. Keep in mind the Doom Marine is simply meant to be you, the player. Hardly any requirement in the story for the marine to be a guy, unless maybe the statistics probably being skewed towards men in the army. But even then, women can apply.
  2. Doomguy is a fan term. You're just called a space marine.
  3. It's just you against demonic monsters. Gender doesn't matter, except again for statistics (men on average being stronger, less valuable for species survival and better fit for life threatening missions). Oh but if sex/gender does matter in hell, it probably goes either way just fine.

You know what I hate more? When the main "action" girl turns out to need a male saviour, or does nothing in the movie other than existing and being hunted because she has or knows something which she probably is not even aware of.

I'd prefer Doom to have a larger team than one person. Doom has always supported multiplayer, cooperative mode was even a selling point (see the old Doom cover art) and it's easier to make a movie-realistic script when you have a team than a single person against all odds.

Well the status bar face says otherwise. I definitely think there could be female good guys and bad guys though, like the Doom alphas but the main character should be a guy.

I got bored of the damsel in distress trope too. It's kinda cringey and overused and leads to bloated love scenes that serve no purpose for the movie other than hitting the 120 minute goal.

That's going to be one of the main obstacles of this movie, cutting all the unnecessary fat. 

I think the best video game movie so far is Papers, Please. It is definitely inspired by the game, you can see many gameplay elements translated into the movie, the mood is just right and more importantly, it is just as long as it needs to be. 

Edited by DooM_RO

To be honest, the more i think about it the more i'm scared about movie quality. Doom 2016 is great game but mostly because of the gameplay. if you take only story you will get something you was hearing so many times. Yes is working for game but i dont think it going to work for movie too. The story is poor for movie and they need to come with many new things to make the movie enjoyable and i'm scared what those "new thing" will be. It didn't turned out good for most movie (especially doom). just my oppinion

5 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Straight to Netflix isn't an automatic death sentence.

Oh it's Netflix? I didn't see that. Hope is not lost!

5 hours ago, R4L said:

Oh it's Netflix? I didn't see that. Hope is not lost!

Yes! Netflix has been pretty solid, and they're the best chance of it being something that actually resembles the games. Like, some people didn't like Netflix Castlevania and that's reasonable, but I don't think anyone would complain that it was too cautious and mainstream.

Glad they seem to be making it like Doom 2016. In my opinion, Doomguy shouldn't talk. He should just be a wrecking ball, like the terminator. Other people can do the talking, like Olivia Pearce, Samuel Hayden, Vega, other UAC employees, etc. They can do the exposition. Have the movie start out before the invasion, maybe with the discovery of Doomguy's sarcophagus. Then when the invasion starts, Doomguy gets awakened by some scientists just before they are brutally killed by demons. Doomguy breaks free of his chains, kills all the demons with his bare hands and possibly with a gun, just like in the game. He later finds his armor, a shotgun, and goes on his way to kill them all. Then the rest of movie should be pretty much be like the Fight like Hell trailer, only with Mick Gordon's soundtrack blaring in the background. He must do the music. If the movie is exactly like that, I just might buy it. 

A female lead eh? Are they actually thinking of a female Doom guy?

It's more likely to be an observer and ally of Doom guy watching him cause all the havoc while she is the relatable character with dialogue.

I’ve said this over at r/Doom, but I feel it’s worth mentioning here.

I see two possibilities:

This is a all-new Doom story that potentially has a Doomgirl as opposed to Doomguy. Considering how the other actress (the one with hair similar to Olivia Pierce) mentioned that the movie will feature badass female characters, this doesn’t seem too far-fetched. 

(Far more likely) This takes place in the Doom 2016 universe, and the Doomslayer is treated as less of a character and more like an unstoppable force of nature, in a similar vein to Godzilla. The female lead here is trying to figure out exactly who or what is the Doomslayer, all while he rips and tears away at countless demons. 

Either way, I still have a good feeling that demons and Hell will finally be involved in this new Doom movie.

I just want confirmation that the director and writer(s) have more than a peripheral awareness of the franchise. 

On 4/20/2018 at 6:18 PM, Snikle said:

They probably learned their lesson about fucking with central things.

Do those Hollywood types ever learn? I mean, remake of Willy Wonka? Clash of the Titans?

Clash of the Titans: Totally classy classic movie...perfect, in fact. The gods helped Perseus with the magic sword, magic shield, magic helmet, etc. In the remake, Perseus hates his dad, Zeus, the king of the gods (no surprise these days), and doesn't accept any help. I kept watching, though, until the part where they got ready to face Medusa. Dude says "Let's go get that bitch."  "Bitch??" Why not just announce "We hated Clash of the Titans, and want to do everything in our power to make it as cheap and ghetto as possible." Fuckers. I shut off the movie, and have never finished watching it. I did go buy the original on DVD, though, yeah I did. Watched it a bunch of times too. They're not ruining my movie!

New Doom movie? Why not just record a demo of Doom 4 gameplay?

2 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

I’ve said this over at r/Doom, but I feel it’s worth mentioning here.

I see two possibilities:

This is a all-new Doom story that potentially has a Doomgirl as opposed to Doomguy. Considering how the other actress (the one with hair similar to Olivia Pierce) mentioned that the movie will feature badass female characters, this doesn’t seem too far-fetched. 

(Far more likely) This takes place in the Doom 2016 universe, and the Doomslayer is treated as less of a character and more like an unstoppable force of nature, in a similar vein to Godzilla. The female lead here is trying to figure out exactly who or what is the Doomslayer, all while he rips and tears away at countless demons. 

Either way, I still have a good feeling that demons and Hell will finally be involved in this new Doom movie.

Please, oh please, oh please, oh PLEASE let the second possibility be the case! I can't tell you how disappointed I will be if it is the first!

Honestly, a new Doom movie wouldn't be bad if the action is good. Just don't make the story incredibly complex or the focus of the movie. If I'm going to watch this, I wanna shut my brain off for a moment and watch demons getting fucked.

Maybe it will be a film based off the novels. They arguably had both Doom Guy and Doom Girl.

4 minutes ago, Vermil said:

Maybe it will be a film based off the novels. They arguably had both Doom Guy and Doom Girl.

That would be awesome with no doubt.I think this seems like better idea than making movie inspired by game

It doesn't even have to be a movie with real actors. Just make it fully animated, like Resident Evil Damnation.

But it already feels like this will be an unfullfilled dream :''(

Besides, I think animation is the best choice, how else will you display the monsters? Either lots of makeup and tricks, which might probably cost a lot, or they gonna use CGI... but that's either gonna be a lot of CGI (action scenes, in which case they might as well go for full animation) or not much CGI (most probably will result in very few actions scenes and lots of plot/subplot which could end up being really boring).

From my point of view, either way, they will somehow manage to put a love scene in Doom, so that everyone will be pleased. That's nowadays the policy, as far as I can tell... please as much people as you can => lots of money.... can't really blame them though. I think I won't watch the movie in any case.... the disappointment in the movie industry is already way too huge on my side.

Edited by rodster

the "direct to video" thing is really worrying me more than anything, since direct to video's always been a huge alarm bell when it comes to movies. I know some say that netflix is usually okay, but in my experience that's really not been the case. its honestly been a really long time since there's been a netflix exclusive that really caught my attention, so many are marred in a pretty bad reputation, especially adaptions. I guess we'll see, we don't have enough details to go off of, but if they were confident I'd figure it would have a theatrical release...

They're not going to have the budget to do photorealistic CGI for more than a few scenes. I think they'll be able to get away with backdrops, but the creatures effects will probably have to be a combination of CG for distant shots and prosthetics/animatronics for closeups. Which would be neat, that's how we did it in the 90s.

Hmm. I'll see it. Even if a Doom movie isn't very good as a movie, I'll still have a soft spot for it due to my Doom fandom.