Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

Just now, Reaper8888 said:

Hmm. I'll see it. Even if a Doom movie isn't very good as a movie, I'll still have a soft spot for it due to my Doom fandom. 

Same with me. I’m not expecting high art but a good old fashioned monster flick.

https://screenrant.com/doom-video-game-movie-amy-manson/amp/

According to this article, it looks like the new Doom movie will have a female lead? Apparently her name is Amy Manson. And it says it will also be directed by Tony Giglio. I kind of liked the original Doom movie to be honest, although I don't expect this one to be as good. Video game movies have a tendency to be bad, for some reason... 

56 minutes ago, Jthom said:

According to this article, it looks like the new Doom movie will have a female lead?

This is fine as long as the lead character happens to be somebody else but the Doom marine (assuming he is in the movie) but if they are merely planning on recasting him has a woman to appease social justice advocates then that's a pretty big red flag. The star wars sequel trilogy has already been ruined largely in part because the writers were more concerned with having a strong but shallow female lead than actually writing good characters, and it would suck if the same thing happens with this movie. But I won't judge the movie in advance, though.

Edited by hardcore_gamer

Looked up Tony Giglio's filmography and according to Rotten, his movies rate somewhere between 6 and 40%. His first feature was "Soccer Dog: The movie."

40 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Looked up Tony Giglio's filmography and according to Rotten, his movies rate somewhere between 6 and 40%. His first feature was "Soccer Dog: The movie."

Maybe we can get a "So bad it's good" out of this then.

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

This new movie with that shit producer and the reveal of a female lead likely just destroyed the movie's success at the box office. Look how well that worked for the Ghostbusters reboot..

Not like the movie was gonna be any good to begin with, I bet Dwayne Johnson will get a laugh out of this one.

I think it's premature to assume a female lead would be disastrous. A bit sexist, too. Ghostbusters suffered from bad writing, not bad gendering.

21 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I think it's premature to assume a female lead would be disastrous. A bit sexist, too. Ghostbusters suffered from bad writing, not bad gendering.

I know that Romero said the Doom marine is "supposed to be you" but that's not how people see him at all. People clearly see him as an established character with a fixed personality. Say what you will about the 2005 version but Sarge and Reaper both have personalities that could fit that mould.

From the cover art, to the status bar face, to the E3 end screen, to the fan art, to the Doom 3 and 2016 version of the character...all are basically variations of the same masculine archetype...

There's no need to shoehorn females as lead characters for the sake of diversity points. There's nothing sexist about this at all, I just want the Doom movie to portray the clearly established character...Or if the film makers are so desperate for diversity points then just make him a buff black character. I'd actually like to see that.

Now, if she were the lead scientist searching for the Doomguy's tomb, and then at the end of the movie he goes on a silent killing spree that saves the characters that could work and I'd like to see that.

41 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

How is that sexist? 

Everyone knows who the Ghostbusters are, and regardless of gender (or even if they identify as a fucking unicorn), it wasn't the Ghostbusters.  Had they put in one or two of the original Ghostbusters there's already the chance the movie doing much better, because of the actors alone ..... because, I don't know.....The actual Ghostbusters would've been in the movie.  Not some politically driven cast picked by the CEO of Sony.....

Now, a female lead will be fantastic if it's written well and she's not the Doom'guy'.  We've known the Doomguy is .... well, a guy.... since the shareware.  Unless it's some butch chick that was biologically gifted the bone structure and testosterone inherent from birth in male genetics, pretending to be a guy. 

Regardless, I have pretty low hopes for this. The director doesn't really have great track record.

I don't really understand why game companies don't make their own low-budget movies. That way they wouldn't be forced to stick to a specific format and they could make whatever they want out of it. Who says the film needs to be 120 minutes? I think 40 is more than enough considering the game.

Just because I said low budget doesn't mean it has to stay like that. They work with what they have and maybe they will make something that appeals to the gamer crowd and if the film is successful then they build from there. 

I mean, who would you rather have? Amateur directors and actors that clearly love the game or mediocre actors and directors? 

I wanna know who the fuck reads the article and immediately thinks a woman would play as the Doomslayer? Not saying that anyone is stupid or whatever, but in-so-far, lead characters can be anyone, and more of them can be even. Maybe Amy would play as Olivia Pierce, or she would probably be trying to revive Doomslayer whilst running for her life from all the monsters? I mean, I haven't even come across a single article that specifically states Amy will play as The Doom Slayer/Doomgal (if you insist), and I am asking to be proven wrong on this. Just chuck me a paragraph or a line which states "Amy = Doomgal" (with the source of course).

That would be all.

47 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

There's no need to shoehorn females as lead characters for the sake of diversity points. There's nothing sexist about this at all, I just want the Doom movie to portray the clearly established character...Or if the film makers are so desperate for diversity points then just make him a buff black character. I'd actually like to see that.

I wonder why a deviation from race (black) is more acceptable to you than a deviation from gender (female). Granted, women have historically been barred from combat until very recently, and perhaps as males, we find it difficult to sympathize with a woman in that position. Very understandable. But your comment is quite telling and speaks to our unfamiliarity with women in those roles, cinematically speaking. It's definitely hard to picture, but if that ends up being the case, we would at least get something different, and that excites me.

Oh, and @Flesh420, the reason I thought your comment was a bit sexist is because your observation that the Ghostbusters reboot bombed is predicated on a parallel you saw in the new Doom movie's reveal of a "shit producer" and "female lead." A female lead in and of itself is not going to harm a movie unless she's a shit actress. So if those recently announced actresses are shit (I've got no idea, I've never heard of either), then wording it as "a shit producer and shit actors" would make sense. But that gets complicated, because, in the context of the recent Ghostbusters, whether those women are good actors is a matter of taste. As far as I can tell, they're all right, but hindered by a director that favored constant, unnecessary fourth wall-ish smirking and excessive ad libbing.

Edited by GoatLord

That's a bit of a stretch. We see Ripley very nearly nude in the first film. We get a pretty good sense of her being female, and what she generally looks like. Doomguy is...a white dude with short hair. That's about all we know. How many shooters feature this exact archetype? And how many Hollywood action films? It's tiresome. But at the same time, yeah, you don't want to completely change the character design for the sake of breaking the mold. There's probably a deeper, smarter action film for which that would be appropriate. More than likely, these female leads are not going to be the Doomguy/slayer, but I am having that eye-rolly "He's going to look like every other action movie guy" thought in anticipation of a unremarkable male lead.

EDIT: Karl Urban made a fantastic Doomguy and, if nothing else, a solid male actor that resembles Our Hero could work well.

It will be bad writing that will kill the movie, not the female lead. But what will also destroy the movie is the unfaithfulness of the source material (Protagonist is canonically male). I'm sorry but you don't see people asking for a female Rambo or female Bond, are you? Hollywood's politically correct agenda bullshit being injected seems to have an influence here I think since they're mostly left leaning/liberal.

Yeah, but there's a difference between a heavily orchestrated leftist conspiratorial castration of male leads and the occasional trendy re-gendering of familiar archetypes. I'm going to be pretty surprised if the Doomslayer isn't male.

Just who will be the protagonist in this case? If they got more than two marbles in their can they will obviously keep the Doomslayer male (or Doomslayer will be "more than human" and won't have a gender because "sex = useless"), and have another protagonist be the female, probably a scientist or an assistant of sort who is going to have to wake up Doomslayer, who will, in turn, rip 'n' tear the demons surgically, whilst every other human character is probably going to be playing hide and seek and one guy might take down an Imp and people will see him as a badass for that. That's how I see it, and that makes the most sense.

After all, who is going to bring in/wake up Doomguy/Doomslayer? What is he doing here, on Mars (most likely)? A lot more questions pop up by just thinking, and a good movie would answer such questions whilst giving us some good old r'n't. I know Doom 2016 gave us a good coverage on such, but still, there is a way the movie would remain true to the source material whilst being fun and while having a female protagonist.

2 minutes ago, Battle_Korbi said:

Just who will be the protagonist in this case? If they got more than two marbles in their can they will obviously keep the Doomslayer male (or Doomslayer will be "more than human" and won't have a gender because "sex = useless"), and have another protagonist be the female, probably a scientist or an assistant of sort who is going to have to wake up Doomslayer, who will, in turn, rip 'n' tear the demons surgically, whilst every other human character is probably going to be playing hide and seek and one guy might take down an Imp and people will see him as a badass for that. That's how I see it, and that makes the most sense.

After all, who is going to bring in/wake up Doomguy/Doomslayer? What is he doing here, on Mars (most likely)? A lot more questions pop up by just thinking, and a good movie would answer such questions whilst giving us some good old r'n't. I know Doom 2016 gave us a good coverage on such, but still, there is a way the movie would remain true to the source material whilst being fun and while having a female protagonist.

Yeah, that would be the best case actually. That way the Doomguy could remain silent and would basically be the Godzilla of the movie for 15-20 minutes but the other characters have the bulk of the dialogue and relationships. 

The transition would actually be kinda like the one between Alien and Aliens. When the marines started killing the Aliens I was "fuck yeah, you deserve this, bitches!" 

At first the demons are scary and unstoppable (so the movie is more like Doom 3) but then they awaken the Doomguy and starts killing everything.

That way the movie could be horror and a cheesy action flick too.

3 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

The transition would actually be kinda like the one between Alien and Aliens. When the marines started killing the Aliens I was "fuck yeah, you deserve this, bitches!" 

At first the demons are scary and unstoppable (so the movie is more like Doom 3) but then they awaken the Doomguy and starts killing everything.

That way the movie could be horror and a cheesy action flick too.

That is what I had been saying whole day.

I mean, Doom 2016 is a reverse horror movie, basically, because you play as the "monster" who is performing a genocide on the demons themselves. So, a good movie about this would be all about waking up Doomslayer. I mean, nothing guarantees it would be a Doom 2016 based movie, but it makes most sense (much like the first Doom movie was kinda based off Doom 3), unlike the "OMG THEY WILL MAKE DOOMSLAYER A GIRL ABORT ABORT".

Also, there can be multiple storylines to follow in the movie:

A) UAC shenanigans, Olivia Pierce wants to be a God, and Hayden is getting more and more amoral about shit, and the staff is kinda freaking out. Doomslayer gets found, and transfered over to the base.

B) Demons freak out bc they just recouperated from Doomslayer's latest spree and they go invade the base to stop him from waking up.

C) The two above stories collide, and the UAC staff is either trying to fight back, hide, or evacuate, and the fem protagonist has a good idea what to do and goes through a whole trial with a group of people and they cannot fight for shit, and the group gets picked one by one. There are some Space Marines who are fightning back, but what makes for a small arena in Doom 2016, that is a massive battle for survival to them.

D) Doomslayer wakes up, mayhem and genocide ensues, but at what cost? A lot of ppl are dead, and the only thing the survivors can do is to try and evacuate the planet.

This should be the new movie, ladies and gentlemen.

Maybe the movie could even make the viewers think that there is no Doomguy at all. The protagonists found vague Martian scriptures about a sealed unstoppable weapon. One of their team members is actually in cahoots with the devil and is only using them to get to the "weapon". Eventually, he kills half of them right before they find the "weapon". As the villain unseals the container, a pissed off Doomguy rips him in half and starts his righteous rampage to save Earth from the imminent invasion.

@DooM RO's point that a movie can be effective at 40 minutes is something that is basically completely ignored in Hollywood, which is ridiculous. Movies under the "feature length" runtime of 65 minutes are considered short films, and for whatever unspoken reason, we never talk about why that isn't viable for theatrical release. Even straight to digital comes with the pressure of at least reaching the 90 minute mark. 

53 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

@DooM RO's point that a movie can be effective at 40 minutes is something that is basically completely ignored in Hollywood, which is ridiculous. Movies under the "feature length" runtime of 65 minutes are considered short films, and for whatever unspoken reason, we never talk about why that isn't viable for theatrical release. Even straight to digital comes with the pressure of at least reaching the 90 minute mark. 

Yeah, it would essentially cut out all the fat. I think the best example of this is the adaptation of "Papers, Please". No useless Hollywood padding.

I wonder if Marty and Hugo will be able to voice their input. They are huge movie buffs and said movies were a huge inspiration for them.

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Maybe the movie could even make the viewers think that there is no Doomguy at all.

That's what i thought too. I dont think the movie going to break the lore and make female as doomguy instead of men.

Just now, Ex Oblivione said:

I wonder which monsters will get featured? 

I doubt they will copy the monsters directly. Odds are they will do something like the last Doom movie did by just having generic zombies/creatures stare as the monsters.

In fact the whole movie will probably just be a generic monster movie exploiting the Doom name.

Zombies for sure, i hope they will be more army styled. Would be interesting to see imps and cacodemons