Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

45 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

What kind of man likes cute wittle bunnies? Huh?

Doomguy. Have you ever even beaten E4?

3 hours ago, CARRiON said:

I do :3

15 hours ago, CARRiON said:

I used to have two bunnies back in the days :D That explains my Doom obsession once and for all ;D

On 4/30/2018 at 1:11 PM, GoatLord said:

I never saw him as macho in the classic games. He came off to me as stoic and serious, which I guess is how they explicitly made him in Doom 3.

Looking back at this, I have fallen in love with this interpretation. Original Doomguy really did seem rather stoic and serious, then compare him against the Doom Slayer (Who may or may not be the same man), and he suddenly becomes a nearly emotionless pragmatic killing machine (compare Renegade!Shepard from Mass Effect, sort of) to Slayer's rage fueled brutal walking apocalypse (like Kratos from God of War (pre-2018)).

By that interpretation, Doomguy is suddenly much cooler to me despite Slayer being an order of magnitude above him.

As for the movie, I've found that I enjoy the villains above the heroes, so I hope the villain of the movie (especially if he's the protagonist) is interesting.

I very much believe that the Doom Slayer is the same protag from the originals (including D64). In this sense, D64's ending cements his realization that he is the only one capable of stopping the forces of Hell from destroying our world. By the time DOOM '16 rolls around, this burden has taken its toll, and he no longer has any time for those who would try to exploit the Hell dimension for whatever reason. If he sees a demon, he will kill it without hesitation, because he knows that nothing good can evcer come of its existence.

I'm not so sure what to think of the Doom Slayer after GoatLord's interpretation of base!Doomguy. The two seem so different, yet so similar at the same time, and the Slayer's backstory is ambiguous enough that any interpretation could be true.

Multiverse Hypothesis: They're one and the same, it's just that Doomguy!Doom Slayer came from a different timeline and Hell bridges them all.

Separate Hypothesis: Exactly that. The two are mutually exclusive.

Both: Uhhh...

I don't exactly subscribe to these thoughts, because I'm unsure what to think. Right now, I'm sticking with Separate.

As for character interpretations proper, I made a post the other day on my interpretations of the Doom (2016) cast under the Doom (2016) topic on one of the threads there. Feel free to read it to see what I think of the Doom Slayer.

Seeing the amount of division and bullshit in this thread is just going to end up attracting the mods to end up sending this thread to hell.

But I am going to say these, and say it now:
Doomguy is an Achillean Warrior, it only makes sense he'd be male.

Always saw Doomguy in 4 as more righteously indignant than in a full-on blind rage, more hateful than mad. The way he plays with the doll of himself suggests there's at least a bit of humor to him. He even tried to shut off the filters briefly, before he realized he had no clue how they worked (but that hitting something hard enough usually makes it stop).

It seems weird that I only just recently shared this image. But this Doomguy loves Daisy. Ain't thothin unmanly with that.

doomguy-n-daisy_unarmored.png

"But human flesh was too frail, too paltry to hold the terrific essence that was Khosatral Khel. So he stood up in the shape and aspect of a man, but his flesh was not flesh; nor the bone, bone; nor blood, blood. He became a blasphemy against all nature, for he caused to live and think and act a basic substance that before had never known the pulse and stir of animate being."

The same can be said for Doomguy.

3 hours ago, Ex Oblivione said:

"But human flesh was too frail, too paltry to hold the terrific essence that was Khosatral Khel. So he stood up in the shape and aspect of a man, but his flesh was not flesh; nor the bone, bone; nor blood, blood. He became a blasphemy against all nature, for he caused to live and think and act a basic substance that before had never known the pulse and stir of animate being."

The same can be said for Doomguy.

woah! Khosatral Khel. is that a conan reference or something similar? (google says yes, nice!) Haven't seen that name in a billion years. Perfect comparison for Doomguy in my opinion.

19 hours ago, XLightningStormL said:

Seeing the amount of division and bullshit in this thread is just going to end up attracting the mods to end up sending this thread to hell.

But I am going to say these, and say it now:
Doomguy is an Achillean Warrior, it only makes sense he'd be male.

In fairness, the other thread getting helled was probably at least partially my fault O_O

But yeah, testosterone does not necessarily negate an affinity for smal fluffy animals. Or necessitate an affinity for guns, for that matter.

If you want proof that the Doom Slayer has a softer side, consider the fact that he took the time to create a backup of VEGA before shutting him down.

And there we have it, my dudes.

Could very well be a rehash of the 2005 movie, if that armor is any indication. At least that weapon looks more futuristic this time around?

Before the speculation storm starts kicking in again, all I'm taking from this is that Tony Giglio will be the director of the movie indeed.

This just in: the director has confirmed Barrels o' Fun for the movie! What other Sandy maps can we expect?

And look, it says Phobos! Bruiser Brothers 100% confirmed!

And look, a cave!

That's, uh... Slough of Despair confirmed!

If it is a sequel to the first movie, then I hope for something that will both be like the games and follow on from the first one, such as C24 having demon genetics.

1 hour ago, Sgt Nate V said:

If it is a sequel to the first movie, then I hope for something that will both be like the games and follow on from the first one, such as C24 having demon genetics.

God, I hope it's not a sequel. It'll be better if they just scrap anything that might fuck around with the source material.

If a sequel to the first...I'm okay with it.  C24 being some sort of demonic tech or some shit is an easy fix to a pretty botched story.

15 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

This just in: the director has confirmed Barrels o' Fun for the movie! What other Sandy maps can we expect?

Next thing they'll tease is a random crate picture confirming that Containment Area is gonna be on the movie too!

I sure as hell hope that they end the movie in Tower of Babel instead of Dis

14 hours ago, KVELLER said:

God, I hope it's not a sequel.

Same, there's no way they could fix the mess created by the first. Should that be the case someone get me an Unmaker to undo this.

Judging by the barrel shown in that first image, the UAC logo has the Doom 3 style of font, yet “Chemical Division” and “Phobos Compound” are basically modernized versions of the classic menu font, so that’ll be interesting to interpret. It’s also interesting to know that it is in fact a toxic barrel, meaning that for sure we’ll most likely have exploding barrels. 

It’s also interesting to note that shooting will also take place in a cave, indicating that part of the movie will either take place on the Martian surface or even Hell itself. Given how the cave itself looks, it looks far more likely to be the latter. 

And in the event that this is indeed a sequel to the 2005 movie, it’s not like proper demons can never exist in that particular universe, as long as the writer can pull it off. 

One idea would be that the data on C24 at the Olduvai Complex would be erroneous data deliberately manipulated by the UAC’s top research brass so that C24 itself doesn’t base mutations on “good” and “evil,” just that some mutations are less severe than others (hence superhumans vs. straight-up mutants), varying on more complex factors that have yet to be taken into account. I mean, it even screwed up the whole “human mapping genome” schtick, which was already done in 2003!

Additionally, teleportation in the Doom movie was shown to be rather iffy at times, which can indeed open the door to the possibility of creatures from another dimension have invaded”.

Just remember, all it takes is one clerical error or one technical fuck-up to literally unleash Hell. 

EDIT: With all sincerity, I do have a very good feeling about this movie. Judging by that tongue-in-cheek tweet made by the director, it looks like we may finally have filmmakers who actually bothered to play a Doom game, or at least booted one up. 

Edited by Man of Doom

3 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Should that be the case someone get me an Unmaker to undo this.

you're reminding me of that roozy guy who threatened to kill people with an unmaker

2 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

you're reminding me of that roozy guy who threatened to kill people with an unmaker

Too bad I've no idea who and what you're talking about :v .

5 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Too bad I've no idea who and what you're talking about :v .

this asshole

EDIT: an example of what he said would be this:

EDIT: Don't ban me or else I will kill you with an UNMAKER and yes, THIS IS A RELATED THREAD TO IDIOTS WHO BANNED ME OR SOMEONE

EDIT:
this was in the mod that banned him for the first time

AhniURd.png

and he said it was him here