Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

I hope we're getting some info on the plot sometime soon, we know nothing about it yet iirc.

On 4/20/2018 at 6:03 PM, Revved said:

So a few days ago, actress Nina Bergman tweeted that she was going to Bulgaria to film the next Doom movie.

To me she looks like a young male, who prefers other young males.

I'd prefer heroines with stronger female attributes.

oh god here come all of the true fans to declare BETRAYAL Spoony-style if it turns out she’s the Doomguy (Doomgirl)

Context: I saw a thread on r/Doom about the new Doom movie, and it’s basically a bunch of fuckbaskets circle-jerking about how the new Doom movie is going to fail because it’s going to pander to the “esjaydubbaewes” like Ghostbusters 2016 before it, and how Deum is a manly man’s game that can only be enjoyed by only the manliest of men. 

TL;DR, the girl cooties would just get in the way of ripping and tearing demons. 

AND THAT IS ALL WE ARE GOING TO SAY ON THE MATTER, NO MORE TANGENTS ABOUT THE PROTAGONIST’S GENDER. 

Anyway, back on topic. The color choices in that image are actually quite interesting. In fact, they seem to be evoking classic Doom vibes more than what we got from the 2005 movie. In fact, those color choices and the overall aesthetic actually seem to be drawing more from classic Doom than they do Doom 2016. 

The thing is, Doom 2016 has a very sleek and modern look while paying homage to the original, whereas the original had a very analog feel to it (similar to the Blade Runner movies). This movie seems to be drawing more from the latter’s aesthetic. 

In fact, I see that the “Phobos Compound” from that explosive barrel makes a return, showing in combination with the aforementioned aesthetic, that this movie could be far closer to the source material than expected. 

And if it does turn out that we’re getting a Doomgirl, then I’m completely fine with that. 

2 hours ago, IMX said:

I would like to be the first one to publicly recognize and give DreadCentral full props for actually having real scoops...

Considering what DreadCentral also scooped up, they’ve mentioned that FX company doing “demon designs.” If that’s the case, then we could in fact be getting proper demons from Hell. 

Doom needs the Doomguy just like Aliens needs Ripley. I'm not sure why that is hard to understand.

This is definitely helping me to strengthen my original plans of waiting until I can see an actual trailer or an official summary to decide my thoughts about this movie.

But I'll say this: if this is actually going to be a spiritual/direct sequel to the original Doom movie from 2005, regardless of the cast, they're limiting their scope, and not in a good way.

Keep in mind that this is an observation purely made based on the screenshots and footage that they're allowing themselves to show to the public, hashtags and all, and even then I'm not entirely comfortable doing it because I definitely want to see/read more.

47 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

oh god here come all of the true fans to declare BETRAYAL Spoony-style if it turns out she’s the Doomguy (Doomgirl)

Context: I saw a thread on r/Doom about the new Doom movie, and it’s basically a bunch of fuckbaskets circle-jerking about how the new Doom movie is going to fail because it’s going to pander to the “esjaydubbaewes” like Ghostbusters 2016 before it, and how Deum is a manly man’s game that can only be enjoyed by only the manliest of men. 

TL;DR, the girl cooties would just get in the way of ripping and tearing demons. 

AND THAT IS ALL WE ARE GOING TO SAY ON THE MATTER, NO MORE TANGENTS ABOUT THE PROTAGONIST’S GENDER. 

Anyway, back on topic. The color choices in that image are actually quite interesting. In fact, they seem to be evoking classic Doom vibes more than what we got from the 2005 movie. In fact, those color choices and the overall aesthetic actually seem to be drawing more from classic Doom than they do Doom 2016. 

The thing is, Doom 2016 has a very sleek and modern look while paying homage to the original, whereas the original had a very analog feel to it (similar to the Blade Runner movies). This movie seems to be drawing more from the latter’s aesthetic. 

In fact, I see that the “Phobos Compound” from that explosive barrel makes a return, showing in combination with the aforementioned aesthetic, that this movie could be far closer to the source material than expected. 

And if it does turn out that we’re getting a Doomgirl, then I’m completely fine with that. 

Considering what DreadCentral also scooped up, they’ve mentioned that FX company doing “demon designs.” If that’s the case, then we could in fact be getting proper demons from Hell. 

It can actually work though because Doomguy literally has no character and changing him to a Doomgirl wouldn't make much of a difference

10 pages and still arguments about gender.

I still stand by my statement that it would be great if it starred a bunch of marines slowly dying off like in the '05 movie, only for Doomguy to appear coming out of the portal to hell and start slaughtering demons. Give him the '16 power armor, too.

*edit* Also, I'm surprised by how many behind the scenes photos are being shared. Maybe I just don't follow movies that close, but is it normal for movies to have these many before shooting is even done?

Edited by wheresthebeef

On 4/20/2018 at 8:22 PM, Revenant100 said:

Hey, Mr. Big Shot Hollywood Script Writer, whatever you do, don't mention a Revenant100 in your film!

They probably might, now that you said that... 

Hey, just saying.

I'm curious about what the monsters will look like. Will they look like they did in Classic Doom? Doom 3? Doom 2016? Will they be demons from hell or aliens like in the novels?

19 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Also, I'm surprised by how many behind the scenes photos are being shared. Maybe I just don't follow movies that close, but is it normal for movies to have these many before shooting is even done?

I am pretty sure that's far from the standard.

Hey, it's a direct-to-video movie, right?

9 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Doom needs the Doomguy just like Aliens needs Ripley. I'm not sure why that is hard to understand.

He's so underdeveloped, it's hard to give two shits what form he takes, as long as it's executed well. Other than "Young muscular white guy who never speaks," we don't have much in the way of characterization. I'd say in the context of a movie, it barely matters who he is. In the new game, he's not even human, I mean, really, the filmmakers can do whatever they want with it, it's pretty malleable.

Edited by GoatLord

8 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

this movie could be far closer to the source material than expected. 

It'd be pretty ironic if they stick to the source material but decide to go with a doomgirl anyways.

Well this movie should turn out to be interesting, one way or the other. Looking forward to seeing Doomgirl RIP and TEAR those pesky demons!

19 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

Also, I'm surprised by how many behind the scenes photos are being shared. Maybe I just don't follow movies that close, but is it normal for movies to have these many before shooting is even done?

1. Yeah it's not that uncommon among films. Everyone here is just analyzing the hell out of the film & sharing every single tidbit of information that gets released, that's why it seems like so much.

2. Direct to video films obviously don't have the marketing budget of theatrical releases so they share as much information as they can on social media to generate interest from the target audience & to also make sure that they are aware that a Doom movie is coming out. Then they move on to spending money on releasing trailers & other promotional material to gain the attention of general moviegoers.

More pictures of the set, which appears to look closer to share more of that very angular and analog look that OG Doom has. The 2005 movie on the other hand was basically just a base covered in silver and chrome. 

Also, we’ve got a peek at some of the weapons being shown. They look almost nothing at all like the weapons in the 2005 movie, this time looking far sleeker and more futuristic this time around. 

Also, I’ve come to notice that the actors shown so far are playing only space marines (no scientists, maintenance workers, etc.). I know that we still have a ways to go before anything tangible is shown, but I thought that was interesting to notice. 

I don't care if it's a girl in role of 'Doomguy', that could definitely work since there are plenty of women who play Doom. 

To me, 'Doomguy' is not a character. That little face on the status bar was always meant as an avatar for the player. The intermission screens specifically are talking to you as in the player, and not 'the doomguy' in part. Doom 64 don't even have the face on the status bar. Maybe it's just me, I've always felt Doom was a personal experience with the player being you in the game moving around and doing things, opposed to controlling a character like in third person games. The 'doomguy' face is just a tool to tell you how close you are to dying. 

The complaints about the new movie remind me of when we got the first teaser screenshots from Doom '16 and people were on reddit the next day uploading recolored mockups.

In all likelihood, the film will probably blow.

I wish Id just made an in-house 30-40 minute version of that Doom 2016 commercial, where all the typical hollywood padding is gone and only the stuff that actually matters is in. 

Why don't game companies make their own, indie style film studios? Start small, make a few indie hits and gradually make something more ambitious. Hell, even a 10 minute film in the same style as the commercial would work in the beginning.

39 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Why don't game companies make their own, indie style film studios? Start small, make a few indie hits and gradually make something more ambitious. Hell, even a 10 minute film in the same style as the commercial would work in the beginning.

Oh come the fuck on, you cannot possibly be this naive. "Make a few indie hits"? Yeah, how laughably easy #1 step. I have a better solution that fits your line of thinking: you find a really totally awesome job that lands you tens of millions of dollars in a very short time. Then you use those money to make the bestest Doom movie possible, because you know the formula to make the money rain.

5 minutes ago, dew said:

Oh come the fuck on, you cannot possibly be this naive. "Make a few indie hits"? Yeah, how laughably easy #1 step. I have a better solution that fits your line of thinking: you find a really totally awesome job that lands you tens of millions of dollars in a very short time. Then you use those money to make the bestest Doom movie possible, because you know the formula to make the money rain.

There's no need to be so abrasive. It was just an idea. Game developers clearly want to make movies based off of their games so why not do it in a way that frees them of Hollywood? Most of the first movies obviously won't be hits but they can keep trying until they are.

30 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

There's no need to be so abrasive. It was just an idea. Game developers clearly want to make movies based off of their games so why not do it in a way that frees them of Hollywood? Most of the first movies obviously won't be hits but they can keep trying until they are. 

1) It was a bad idea. You're selling a fantasy reality in which a game dev will suddenly branch into the movie industry, securing the ridiculously high budget modern action movies demand (unless they're direct to whatever garbage). Their motivation? Getting rid of the evil yoke of Hollywood. Do you even know why there is a yoke in the first place?

2) Has it been ever confirmed that id/Beth/Zenimax even want to make the movie, or participate on any of this? I'm sorry to dash your hopes & dreams, but the laughably low budget production this project seems to be operating on points towards Universal doing "the Spiderman". Something akin to renewing the license just before it lapses by creating the lowest effort remake possible, but hey, it's our franchise and we're still developing it.

Marza already does something of the sort, making the recent CGi Resident Evil movies and prerendered intros for the last couple of Sonic games.

I think it's weird that there are so many comments about "breaking the lore" in regards to a female lead. 

Who the fuck cared about the lore back when the original doom movie was released? Aside from the monsters being genetic I never saw a single complaint that it didnt regard the games and even beyond that I've never seen one complaint anywhere at all about it not following Doom 3's lore. This new movie is likely a spin-off, not a canonical chapter in the Doom "saga" and, honestly, who even gives a shit about Doom's lore? 

This movie can be whatever the fuck it wants to be! As long as it's got good action with guns against hell demons, I'll be a happy customer.

15 hours ago, EtherBot said:

This movie can be whatever the fuck it wants to be! As long as it's got good action with guns against hell demons, I'll be a happy customer.

If you say so.

(Shamelessly stolen from @Jayextee Twitter feed)

DdpYASyUQAETlwd.jpg:large

Edited by DooM_RO