Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

Tony Giglio's response to someone on Twitter who asked "Why are there chainsaws on Mars again?" was "They were in the game. They're in the movie." Nice approach ;)

I mean, there were chainsaws in the 2005 movie too.

Edit: New information about the movie has surfaced, feel free to dissect it with prudence and don't go around ripping and tearing into conclusions. This also solves my curiosity concerning a picture that was posted a page ago that included members of the cast that weren't IDfied at the time.

Edited by IMX : New info.

I am still hoping there is a Doomguy rising from his grave at the end of the movie...I mean, nothing about that armor screams "Doom" to me. It's as generic as it gets. Why not use the Doom 3 designs?

The only things I like so far are the environments. They look very... Doom 1-esque?

The set design straight up looks like a mix of the classic and newer games, but more specifically the classic. Pretty neat. I'm hoping the armor is a bit more...futuristic. I mean, we're talking about off-world military tech in the 22nd (presumably) century. JUNGLE camo? What for, even? I'd like to think at some point we'll see someone brandishing a badass marine outfit more akin to the franchise.

5 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

The set design straight up looks like a mix of the classic and newer games, but more specifically the classic. Pretty neat. I'm hoping the armor is a bit more...futuristic. I mean, we're talking about off-world military tech in the 22nd (presumably) century. JUNGLE camo? What for, even? I'd like to think at some point we'll see someone brandishing a badass marine outfit more akin to the franchise.

It looks like the kind of armor a lowly former human would wear, not a badass marine.

2 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

The set design straight up loo  ks like a mix of the classic and newer games, but more specifically the classic. Pretty neat. I'm hoping the armor is a bit more...futuristic. I mean, we're talking about off-world military tech in the 22nd (presumably) century. JUNGLE camo? What for, even? I'd like to think at some point we'll see someone brandishing a badass marine outfit more akin to the franchise.

The colonial space marines had jungle camo on their outfit as well, no comment on that? Maybe they need to blend in with the jungles on LV-426 assuming Doomguy didn't cut them down with his chainsaw from Mars.

aliens2-vasquesndrake.jpg

Cameron was, according to interviews, specifically drawing inspiration from the Vietnam conflict in his characterization of the marines. There's narrative motivation there.

1 minute ago, GoatLord said:

Cameron was, according to interviews, specifically drawing inspiration from the Vietnam conflict in his characterization of the marines. There's narrative motivation there.

Yes and Aliens was an inspiration for the Doom series. Narrative motivation there.

The only proper equipment for a Doom protagonist. Anything else and that "protagonist" is a poser.

COME ON MOVIE MAKERS, THIS ISN'T COMPLICATED. You only need a few things: a badass marine in badass armor, a double barreled shotgun, demons, blood and hell. How hard is this shit?!!

image.png.58081d5cec474b3217884cef2d4b51fb.pngimage.png.b27c5c18559d0d4d74b1e31904e45665.png

image.png.f078a70b2c325cb9127652dfd37e3a8b.png

For one thing, you could probably blow the whole film's effects budget on a Praetor suit and an Icon of Sin alone.

3 minutes ago, Quasar said:

For one thing, you could probably blow the whole film's effects budget on a Praetor suit and an Icon of Sin alone.

But they already have the wearable Praetor Suit in the Id office! The Doomslayer in the commercial was a real guy in a real suit!

4 minutes ago, Ex Oblivione said:

Yes and Aliens was an inspiration for the Doom series. Narrative motivation there.

Yeah but the Doom aesthetic has never featured jungle camo as far as I can tell.

Just now, GoatLord said:

Yeah but the Doom aesthetic has never featured jungle camo as far as I can tell.

What about the vine textures in the Doom games?

Just now, DooM_RO said:

But they already have the wearable Praetor Suit in the Id office! The Doomslayer in the commercial was a real guy in a real suit!

You typically need a bunch of suits for blowy-uppy action sequences. Expensive.

Just now, GoatLord said:

You typically need a bunch of suits for blowy-uppy action sequences. Expensive.

Also the aformentioned "suit" is a solid fiberglass mannequin, not a wearable piece of armor that would flex around an actor's body while they do kung fu moves. Definitely two different things there. Unless we're talking about the suit that made for the live-action trailer; I have no idea what became of that.

1 minute ago, Quasar said:

Also the aformentioned "suit" is a solid fiberglass mannequin, not a wearable piece of armor that would flex around an actor's body while they do kung fu moves. Definitely two different things there. Unless we're talking about the suit that made for the live-action trailer; I have no idea what became of that.

That's the one I am talking about. They have it in the Id offices.

So searching on Instagram instead of Twitter, I found these couple of nuggets:

So this may or may not be in the movie, but I thought it was really interesting to share. If they don’t use this formation as some sort of effect (maybe this being the eyes of a sleeping demon lord), then that’s gonna be a hell of a wasted opportunity. That cave formation just screams Doom. 

Another day of shooting, but what’s really interesting is the caption. Perhaps the movie is really a quest to find Reaper or the Doomslayer/Doomguy?

The background looks very Doom-like. Perhaps a look at the movie’s (human) antagonist?

A shot of what appears to be a cave formation, as well as that same chair Amy was seen sitting in. As @GoatLord mentioned, this is evoking even more of a classic Doom vibe. 

"God's Eyes Cave," I looked at that and thought "Icon of Sin."

UAC searching for Doom.

Search no longer, UAC, I've got it on my computer!

Evil Dr. Betruger.

As opposed to nice Dr. Betruger?

Doesn't look terrible. We'll just have to wait and see.

So far the marine costumes look pretty bland and the backgrounds and set designs look decent. I'm just waiting to see some photos of what the demons are going to look like. Really hoping to see some actual costumes or animatronics rather than them just being completely CGI as some many movies rely too heavily on nowadays.

Just now, I got another BTS pic:

We can pretty much kiss the Doom 3 aesthetic goodbye, my dudes. This really does scream classic Doom, sans the costumes. 

Speaking of which, perhaps I should be the costume designer due to my Doomguy cosplay? :P

2 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

We can pretty much kiss the Doom 3 aesthetic goodbye, my dudes.

Except for that UAC logo plastered all over the techbase

God I hate those space marine costumes. You might as well make a call of duty movie.

But the sets do show some promise. I'm curious about the budget on this movie. Can they afford awesome animatronics or high quality CGI? I hope so

So doing some research on Autonomous FX, which is doing the creature designs and effects on this movie. From what I’ve seen, their main line of work is in prosthetics and animatronics. 

Looks like we may be getting practical effects again. 

Ok, that set picture actually looks good. Angular and austere, kind of like the original. I see great potential for awesome hell scenes too in that cave.

Costumes are still garbage though. 

EDIT:

"The UAC searching for Doom"

Well if you guys remember there actually was an expedition to the Kadingir Sanctum where they retrieved the Doom Slayer. It could still be nothing though.

Just now, MrD!zone said:

I have a really bad feeling that this might be a sequel to to the 2005 movie.

Yeah, so do I. But they might explain that the virus was actually demonic in origin.